Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

On 10/2/2019 at 9:50 AM, ausgreek said:

Ethnics:

4 2 3 1 - what else..

Vlaho

Retsos    Trianta    Hatzidiakos    Tsimikas

Kourbelis         Bouchalakis

Fetfa            Mantalos (c)?         Masouras (scored previously)

Pavlidis

Koulouris . Donis . Vrousai . Bouzoukis .

Pelkas .  Siopis .  Galanopoulos

Risvanis .  Natsos .  Giannoulis

Barkas   Pascha

Heard Bakasetas, Sierhuis and Vellios are all being seriously considered

Manolas is too old at 28 but Fetfa at 28 is okay to play with the youth lol. we are underrating the value of experience here. I think coach should keep an experienced defender and an experienced midfielder to help in the flow of the game. without sokratis and manolas we are definitely eating 4+ goals against Italy no doubt about it, not that it matters anyway

Edited by Bardouuu
typos
  • Like it 2

I think he excluded them so he can put his own imprint on the team.  Those two are Greece's best players, command a certain respect and may overshadow anything the coach says.  He may want to gain control of the locker room first.  Not saying that they are a problem, he may want the players to look to him instead of Sokratis if something is happening.

• Like it 1

I would have preferred to at least have Manolas play especially vs Bosnia in Greece. I don't want Bosnia beating us and definitely do not want them to get second place. I like that he is injecting some youth and give them some experience. Why Bakasetas though? We've been through this with Ange and Skibbe. 

10 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

No doubt it could get ugly against the Italians. I mean they basically stopped playing after going 3 up in Athens and still could have had 4-5 goals. Without Sokratis and Manolas you feel it could get really bad but who knows. 

If the reports are correct and Van't Schip intends on calling them up in future, then to me it makes no sense to leave them out for these 2 games. Try the youth v Armenia and Finland next month the last thing we want is two heavy losses against Italy and Bosnia.

If he doesn't intend on calling them up again and is going for a full rebuild then it makes sense them leave out and assess your other options. But if not then it's just illogical. But hey this is the Ethniki wouldn't be the first time common sense doesn't prevail. 

Definitely worried about the score getting out of hand vs Italy. Bosnia are beatable so Van't Schip should go with at least Manolas especially since he knows Dzeko and his tendencies. 

13 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

He played already some games in 2015 for the Ethniki. He has had a great season so far, six goals in nine games and scored a brace last Saturday (end result was 3-3). He would have deserved a call up IMO.

Edited by La Mendel

Good player Fountas who looks to have developed well in Austria.

Good points about JVS looking to put his stamp on authority with this group but keep thinking of how important Manolas could have been playing Italy & then Dzeko... he would know them so much better than anyone else. 

17 hours ago, Alphonse said:

Good player Fountas who looks to have developed well in Austria.

Good points about JVS looking to put his stamp on authority with this group but keep thinking of how important Manolas could have been playing Italy & then Dzeko... he would know them so much better than anyone else. 

Fountas should be given a chance. I was actually a fan of his when he was at AEK. He was their best performer for them back in the day. Now he is scoring nearly every week. Would’ve taken him or Bouzoukis over Bakasetas. 

• Like it 2

Tsimikas is out with injury he suffered during the match with Aris, Koutris will replace him. 

Dzeko is missing match vs Greece and against Finland, big blow for Bosnias hopes to qualify. It's ashame we couldn't hang on for the draw at Finland and then I think Greece would have put Liechtenstein away leaving us in the running for qualification. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ethniki are capable of toppling Italy next time..could well look this way in 2020 ;

Vlahodimos

Bakakis/Retsos     Hatzidiakos/Manolas       Siovas/Sokratis       Stafylidis (C)

Kourbelis                        Galanopoulos

Limnios                                        Fortounis (VC)                            Donis

Pavlidis

Koulouris  Vrousai/Darmishaj  Fetfatzidis

Bakasetas Mantalos  Zeka  Androutsos  

Barkas  Dioudis  

This is after current attitude adjustments which are re-moulding some players.            

Edited by ausgreek

I don’t know if we should include Manolas and Sokratis again. So far the replacements are proving themselves and we look decent. I know they play at bigger clubs but I would rather younger more hungry players who can develop. Hatzidiakos is an example. 

We need to find a replacement for Bakakis at RB. Retsos should be a candidate. But I would like someone who is more athletic with pace and good with the ball. Giannis Masouras fits the description. Kitsiou should be looked at. Lyratzis from Volos is another (I haven’t seen him play). 

I don’t think Stafylidis should be captain down the line. I don’t mind him but we need someone more stable and more consistent as a captain. Maybe Mantalos or Kourbelis should be the captain. Fortounis is great but don’t know if he is a real captain. 

Limnios and Donis are similar player. Loads of pace and great dribblers. Maybe we should have 1 start and either Fetfatzidis or Masouras on the other side. 

Wouldn’t mind having Galanopoulos and Kourbelis again. Hopefully something builds even more between the 2. Pavlidis, Limnios, Hatzidiakos and Galanopoulos impressed so they must be in considered for starting spots. Also we have Pelkas. Hopefully JVS can get something out of him. Pelkas has pace, energy, technique and the ability to score amazing goals. His pressing is one of the best for all Greeks. He just needs someone to instruct him and to express his strengths. 

We have 4 decent options at CAM. We have 4 decent options on the wing. We need more depth at RB and CM. Also Vasiliadis from Paderborn is being considered for a call up. 

• Like it 1

Seb Vasiliadis - Greek & German, or even Giannis Bouzoukis good value these young players. Pelkas is an enigma, I do wonder where JVS would play him, he is an AM or winger but Ethniki are well stocked all of a sudden. Although, it should Not be all of a sudden, its more that other coaches didn't try different options through fear of failure, in the Mykonos fc era.

Fortounis coming back soon hopefully, and firing for mine would mean Mantalos has no starting position and so not as captain cause Limnios, Donis, Fetfa and Masouras should be ahead of him for the wing spots. I wonder how Lamprou is fairing as well these days..

Staf was played as a left CB during the team's attacking raids (3 at the back) against Bos/Hertz, a different tactic. He is a safe and reliable LB with experience and a massive striker of a ball for goal from a distance. Has also ticks the boxes leading the team atm.

Sok and Manol should be in the mix as they now know JVS would have their balls if they pull a tantrum, although, Triantafylopoulos, Lampropoulos, Retsos along with Hatzi and Siovas are definite assets as CB options.  

A  more agile new RB option I agree would be ideal to have along with Bakakis, such as Stel Kitsiou or Lefteris Lyratzis. Either would be worth a run for sure under this current regime.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

I think we have better options at LB such  as Koutris and Tsimikas. I do like Stafylidis but he isn’t very reliable defensively. I don’t know where to put him because I like him as a player. He should have a spot somewhere but it seems that the bench is where he needs to be for now unfortunately. If Stafylidis was more solid defensively I would start him without a doubt and maybe even put him captain. But he isn’t. His shooting and speed is very good so again I don’t know exactly where he should play. Technically he is ok nothing special. Passing is decent aswell. We’ve got better CBs and better wingers to play. 

Could he play CDM? I don’t think so because Kourbelis and Galanopoulos had great showings. Zeca and Bouchalakis should be the back ups. Vasiliadis is a CM/CDM. Haven’t seen him play but apparently he is good. Want to see him play.

It does seem we are already stacked for wide options and CAM. I just think Pelkas if used correctly can be advantageous to us. Technically good, fast great energy on his day he can destroy teams, as seen in the past against Panathinaikos and Benfica. All of sudden these last few years he has more grit about his game and aggressiveness. CAM seems the best position for him but Fortounis is more talented and Bouzoukis seems to have more potential. 

Mantalos shouldn’t be ignored in my opinion. A great player that is slightly underrated. If he was faster physically he would be playing in England or something. He has all the attributes to succeed. Unfortunately injuries have stunted his development. Same can be said about Pelkas.

Sokratis and Manolas can stay aside for now. I don’t want to stop any momentum going forward. JVS has said that they won’t be called up until next year. So the remaining 2 games we will see more new call ups apparently. We will be getting headaches, but for the right reasons as we will have a plethora of options. 

• Like it 1

If Staf loses out to say, Tsimikas at LB, Fortounis or Kourbelis must be captain options. Having Fortounis, Vrousai and a firing Bakasetas (about time), then Mantalos would be on the fringe of the squad I would think.

That Pelkas is more of a utility player that plays anywhere in the front half of the team? He is also on the fringe with this squad. The players that have been given a chance and performed of late have caused alot of competition for spots which is excellent.

Deano, if your suggestion Vasiliadis, or even Bouzoukis gets a run then Bouchalakis should miss out, I don't think he offers anything special.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

Vasiliadis could take Bouchalakis spot. If given the chance he could impress and Bouchalakis would be put on the bench permanently. I like Vrousai, I think he has something to offer. His speed is something to think about. I believe with Bakasetas he only performs at CAM. He is of no use anywhere else. Vrousai is more of a winger i think. 

Bouzoukis will get his chances soon. Reminded me a bit of Ninis. He has that special something. Bouzoukis is more aggressive though. Has great vision and ball control. He is actually more or less like Mantalos but with more potential. Hopefully he stays injury free.

Speaking of utility players, Androutsos is one to keep an eye on. Can play anywhere in the midfield. More suited as a box to box. Hopefully he can get a good run of form. 

I believe Mantalos gives us this sort of spark. When he plays centrally he can be even more dangerous. Surprisingly Bakasetas did well especially against Bosnia. I don’t think he is a definite starter. Especially when Fortounis comes back. 

Mantalos i believe is a better captain than Kourbelis. Both can be leaders. Kourbelis can be vice captain and Mantalos captain. I just think Mantalos is a better example and more of a team player. Has great chemistry with everyone in the team.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

All being available, the front half of the team perhaps like this:

Starters:

Limnios         Pavlidis .      Fetfa

Kourbelis        Fortounis          Galanopoulos

Front half subs:

Koulouris .  Donis 

Bakasetas      Mantalos/Vrousai/Bouzoukis      Masouras

Vasiliadis/Androutsos   Zeka 

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''   

If Mantalos became captain. he gets in as a winger, Limnios or Fetfa sit on the bench. Now there are too many wingers so, Masouras or Donis may well miss out. Donis can play as striker too so, Bakasetas or Vrousai misses out if Masouras stays. 

Given this would be part of a 23 player squad. Can't pick too many cause they also add CB's, fullbacks, goalkeepers.

Would you change anyone around Deano?

Edited by ausgreek

14 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Limnios and Donis are similar player. Loads of pace and great dribblers. Maybe we should have 1 start and either Fetfatzidis or Masouras on the other side. 

Limnios is anything but a dribbler. He is a hard worker who is extremely disciplined. In terms of dribbling all he can do is cut right, any defender worth his salt will work him out within a few mins of playing him. Donis has more natural talent in comparison. Does that mean Limnios doesn't have a spot on the team? No, as we've seen coaches favour hard workers, he has pace and can be dangerous on the counter. But I don't really want him playing against teams that have a packed defense he generally struggles when there is no room.

He is also capable of putting a good ball into the box which if he is given the space to do can be dangerous

We find people suggest players and captains and so on but they don't all fit into the squad design, a certain amount of players for every position and getting the balance right. Now we know what the coaching staff juggle every time these games come around.

For instance, playing Mantalos at LW, all of a sudden you have Donis, Masouras and Limnios, 3 LW's on the shelf. In many cases though, injuries usually prevent some of these problems as some players are not often available anyway. They forgot Donis's shirt size cause he hasn't played in so long apparently.

8 hours ago, ausgreek said:

All being available, the front half of the team perhaps like this:

Starters:

Limnios         Pavlidis .      Fetfa

Kourbelis        Fortounis          Galanopoulos

Front half subs:

Koulouris .  Donis 

Bakasetas      Mantalos/Vrousai/Bouzoukis      Masouras

Vasiliadis/Androutsos   Zeka 

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''   

If Mantalos became captain. he gets in as a winger, Limnios or Fetfa sit on the bench. Now there are too many wingers so, Masouras or Donis may well miss out. Donis can play as striker too so, Bakasetas or Vrousai misses out if Masouras stays. 

Given this would be part of a 23 player squad. Can't pick too many cause they also add CB's, fullbacks, goalkeepers.

Would you change anyone around Deano?

I would do the same but I wouldn’t put Bakasetas on the wing because of his pace. He is more suited in the middle, specifically CAM. I agree we can’t have all those players in team. I would definitely keep Mantalos and Donis. Limnios is the future and I lean towards more to playing future prospects as they are goodnand have something to prove for example Galanopoulos. We should at least have 3 wingers in the team. Masouras, Donis and Limnios. Fetfatzidis can be CAM and wing.  

No more than 2 strikers as Donis makes up for striker and wing. 2 CAMs such as Mantalos and Fortounis. Although I would definitely try Mantalos as a CM which would then free up the CAM spot for either Bakasetas or Vrousai. But Fetfatzidis is a good cover for CAM so Bakasetas and Vrousai wouldn’t be needed that much.

My squad would like this..

Vlachodimos 

G.Masouras Hatzidiakos Manolas Koutris

Kourbelis Vasiliadis/Androutsos

Fetfa Mantalos Limnios

Pavlidis

Androutsos, Masouras are my personal choices as I believe that have talent and when given the opportunity they will deliver. Realistically Galanopoulos would start as he has game time and also a decent player. 

Maybe Fetfatzidis should come off the bench as he can be impactful. Donis and Masouras are decent back ups. Manolas should be there as he is still sort of young and in his prime. Also playing Champions League. His speed is a big factor. 

Down the road I would like to see what Lamprou and Chatzigiovannis can offer. Also would’ve liked to see Manthatis but his career has been going down unfortunately especially after leaving Olympiakos. 

Like Douvikas and Manos but that’s too far fetched at the moment calling these players as one is young and isn’t playing but has potential and the other is a bit inconsistent.

Just thinking out load but Pavlidis is our best at the moment and Mantalos should be the captain and CAM. 

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic