Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

7 hours ago, Argy said:

I don't know everything said and done behind closed, but I do not agree with this move. 

Despite the fact that Sokratis and Manolas were pierced for Liechtenstein goal, these results were not their fault. These are two generational players for Greece, and treating them like this is a disgrace. Yes, our recent form is also a disgrace, I will say it before anyone else responds, but bad tactics and execution, along with lack of depth and talent in key positions are the culprits here. 

Desperate long-balls, aimless crosses, lazy back-passes, refusal to take on players, inability to enter the opposing box, lack of finishing, etc, cannot be blamed on the centre backs. 

This is a bold move from the manager. I hope we don't see the last of Sokratis and Manolas, but with the next competitive games being in an entire calendar year, I am afraid we will. 

Very bold move I am speechless that Van't Schip left Sokratis and Manolas off the NT. I guess this mean he has full control or else those guys would have already got him canned. 

The only negative is that he is apparently going to call up Bakasetas?? 

1 hour ago, Alphonse said:

Great points all round... one point mentioned that is talked about here and nowhere else is Schip’s consistent mention of egos in the dressing room... and being there for the right reasons. We don’t know but maybe these guys were the capitalists of that. 

I ageee on Toro and Samaris, but to go into a game with a very in form Italy and not have Manolas, Sokratis & Zeca is a huge risk. Our most experienced players, our two best CB’s... no one knows the Italians better than Manolas! 

On the field out midfield is our issue, when you play like we do our CB’s are the ones that have to put up with the pressure... that’s where we need to work on & Zeca was the least of that problem 

Ya leaving Manolas out for the Italy match is very risky. 

Changes are needed and something has to give look where we are in the fifa rankings, look at the last time we’ve made a tournament, Socrates and Manolas as much as I like them have done absolutely nothing in helping this team tradition from the 2014 World Cup.. I’m not liking that he wants to give Bakasetas another look but at least this coach made some bold moves and is willing to see what we have in the younger players. We have nothing else to lose this team has already hit rock bottom doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is ridiculous so at least let’s see if the coach can find young players that are willing to give there heart and buy into a system..

• Like it 1

The fact he did this  means he actually has control of this team not EPO so good sign, Obviously I want our two best center backs to play but if they have an attitude problem better give new blood a chance.. we lost to Armenia and copped 3 goals so I'm not worried we should try new players. 

Edited by jason
  • Like it 2

13 hours ago, J1078 said:

Changes are needed and something has to give look where we are in the fifa rankings, look at the last time we’ve made a tournament, Socrates and Manolas as much as I like them have done absolutely nothing in helping this team tradition from the 2014 World Cup.. I’m not liking that he wants to give Bakasetas another look but at least this coach made some bold moves and is willing to see what we have in the younger players. We have nothing else to lose this team has already hit rock bottom doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is ridiculous so at least let’s see if the coach can find young players that are willing to give there heart and buy into a system..

It's great from the sense that he is taking charge and initiative and he wants to see how the young guys can perform and he is throwing them in vs a world football power in Italy so that will give them a great taste of the international game. I just hope we can  get a result vs Bosnia as it's a rivalry and I really don't want them to get 2nd. That's were I would have wanted to see Sokratis and Manolas play, but at this point I am open to letting Van't Schip try to implement his vision for the team. 

I think he wants to see what he has, we lost with them 3-0 to Italy. He probably wants to be able to put his stamp on this team without worrying what the more senior players say.  Once he establishes what he wants, he can bring them back as contributing players knowing that they are part of the team, not the team.

Personally i do not agree with not starting Socrates and Manolas

as per there are no players in Greece better than them in their respective positions (None).

I do not agree with using the national team as a testing ground.

The other thing is does anybody think that this is even the right coach to try and rebuild the national team. ?

19 hours ago, J1078 said:

It’s only temporary as he called the veterans and told them he’s juts leaving them out to test new blood but they will be back.

I knew it was too good to be true. Wasted my breath on giving him credit for a ballsy move.

• Like it 1

I kind of wish those players would be dropped permanently. We have to bring in the new generation. We have nothing to lose now we should use these next 4 matches to see which players are good enough for the team. No point in having Manolas, Sokratis and the others anymore. We need start giving these younger guys experience from now up all the way through nations league and the next qualifying campaign. A good amount of games where Galanopoulos and Limnios could potentially reach 10–15 caps by the next qualifying campaign. They should’ve had 10 by now. 

• Like it 2

Manolas really isn’t that old .. he’s like 28, thats still prime for a CB. I’ll admit over 30 is old but Manolas can definitely be of use. We are blessed with a lot of high rated cbs but they’re all super injury prone ex: kpap, retsos, mavropanos. I’m ok keeping ATLEAST Manolas 

29 minutes ago, Bardouuu said:

Manolas really isn’t that old .. he’s like 28, thats still prime for a CB. I’ll admit over 30 is old but Manolas can definitely be of use. We are blessed with a lot of high rated cbs but they’re all super injury prone ex: kpap, retsos, mavropanos. I’m ok keeping ATLEAST Manolas 

Looks as though Triantafylllopoulos and Hatzidiakos perform, along with a future fit Retsos, Manolas will rank around 4-5 in the pecking order. Even if he played for PSV, he plays like a busted for Ethniki.

I predict the squad will come out either tomorrow or the next day. In regards to Manolas, he should still be involved because of his pace. But I still rather give youth a chance. In my opinion Risvanis or Nikolaou would be a good replacement for Manolas. Hatzidiakos and Mavropanos can battle it out for Sokratis position. 

I would rather use Retsos elsewhere either as a RB or CDM. He would be wasted as a CB. We have many options there. Also I hope Vasiliadis has a Greek passport because all I hear is how good he is. We need better CMs and he might be it. Pavlidis and Koulouris are our future and are both in great form. Would like to see Lamprou and Donis on the wings with Fetfatzidis as the 10. That would be interesting. 

• Like it 1

Ethnics:

4 2 3 1 - what else..

Vlaho

Retsos    Trianta    Hatzidiakos    Tsimikas

Kourbelis         Bouchalakis

Fetfa            Mantalos (c)?         Masouras (scored previously)

Pavlidis

Koulouris . Donis . Vrousai . Bouzoukis .

Pelkas .  Siopis .  Galanopoulos

Risvanis .  Natsos .  Giannoulis

Barkas   Pascha

Heard Bakasetas, Sierhuis and Vellios are all being seriously considered

Edited by ausgreek

12 hours ago, Bardouuu said:

That's right he can still help us on the pitch if he just focuses on his game, his attitude just needs work. I am all for trying the young guys but we need to get results in these remaining qualifiers to start slowly moving up the FIFA rankings. 

Squad announced

Μπάρκας, Βλαχοδήμος, Διούδης, Μπακάκης, Γιαννούλης, Σιόβας, Τσιμίκας, Σταφυλίδης, Χατζηδιάκος, Λαμπρόπουλος, Σιωπής, Κουρμπέλης, Ζέκα, Μπουχάλακης, Βρουσάι, Γαλανόπουλος, Μάνταλος, Κουλούρης, Μπακασέτας, Παυλίδης, Δώνης, Λημνιός, Φετφατζίδης, Μασούρας, Ρέτσος

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ellada/ethniki_elladas/oristiko-xwris-manwla-swkrath-kai-samarh-h-ethnikh.5610395.html

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

Squad announced

Μπάρκας, Βλαχοδήμος, Διούδης, Μπακάκης, Γιαννούλης, Σιόβας, Τσιμίκας, Σταφυλίδης, Χατζηδιάκος, Λαμπρόπουλος, Σιωπής, Κουρμπέλης, Ζέκα, Μπουχάλακης, Βρουσάι, Γαλανόπουλος, Μάνταλος, Κουλούρης, Μπακασέτας, Παυλίδης, Δώνης, Λημνιός, Φετφατζίδης, Μασούρας, Ρέτσος

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ellada/ethniki_elladas/oristiko-xwris-manwla-swkrath-kai-samarh-h-ethnikh.5610395.html

Bakasetas really? Argg.. 

IMO the coach is doing the right thing as he has no other option, why is he going to keep doing what every other coach has done in the last few years and think he will get different results.. he’s trying to see what he has in the younger players and how he can rebuild this team and implement a new style and a positive attitude.. This is the only way he can truly know what he has. There seems to be such a negative feeling around the current core of  players and that is showing in there game play on and off the field. As good as Manolas and Socrates are If  they’re bringing  negative vibes to the NT then they need to be bounced ASAP.. I also think as long as the NT plays in OAKA results will be hard to come by as they need a complete fresh start and that stadium is not a warm place for the NT to play in. What ever happened to playing in Crete? I’m curious to see who starts in these next two games... 

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2

The call ups as pretty much as expected with what’s been going round.

I have really mixed feelings about Manolas & Sokratis not in there but I just keep thinking, what where they like in the dressing room... I won’t lie, it does scare me that we play Italy without these two. Without knowing how much damage (or no damage) they do to the squad, I don’t think we are upgrading our defence. what will matter is our midfield which by far and away the real issue ON the field.

If we have Bouchalakis & Zeca not get the ball rolling forward to a Mantalos or wingers we will continue to struggle but to @J1078 point... who will start... I really hope Mantalos starts as CAM.

Not sure I posted it here, but I also think it’s time we start to play two forwards up front but maybe more so for Bosnia game.

In terms of critic... Stafylidis & Bakasetas are wasted picks imo. We don’t neee 3 LB’s and Koutris is much better than Staf. Bakasetas is a kreas at this level 

Great to see Galanopoulos in and I hope Limnios can replay how he did vs AEK. Donis must start vs Italy.

Edited by Alphonse
  • Like it 1

No doubt it could get ugly against the Italians. I mean they basically stopped playing after going 3 up in Athens and still could have had 4-5 goals. Without Sokratis and Manolas you feel it could get really bad but who knows. 

If the reports are correct and Van't Schip intends on calling them up in future, then to me it makes no sense to leave them out for these 2 games. Try the youth v Armenia and Finland next month the last thing we want is two heavy losses against Italy and Bosnia.

If he doesn't intend on calling them up again and is going for a full rebuild then it makes sense them leave out and assess your other options. But if not then it's just illogical. But hey this is the Ethniki wouldn't be the first time common sense doesn't prevail. 

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic