Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I’m not sweating it for some reason against Italy. I know they are a strong team but I feel like we can win. It won’t be easy but it’s doable. They are not like a Belgium or Germany. But I do believe we need a full squad.

A draw is like a win. Bosnia cannot do that because they are not a defensive team. It's gonna be like the world cup group stage. Take a draw with them and make sure u don't drop points with all 3 minnows (Finland , Armenia , Liechtenstein). Make sure you do not lose to Bosnia at home and we re qualified.

• Like it 2

These are the guys joining the mini camp and the friendly against Turkey by Date.

Socratis, Manolas and Donis will NOT  be there until the Euro call ups in June. Mitro is still injured so he wont be there either..

22 Μαΐου

Μάνταλος, Μπάρκας, Μπακασέτας, Πέλκας, Πασχαλάκης, Κουρμπέλης, Βαλεριάνος, Σιώπης, Κούτρης, Μπουχαλάκης, Φορτούνης, Μασούρας, Κουλούρης, Ντουρμισάι, Κώτσιρας.

24 Μαΐου

Μαυρίας, Κολοβός

25 Μαΐου

Σταφυλίδης

27 Μαΐου

Σάμαρης, Βλαχοδήμος, Σιόβας, Ζέκα

• Like it 1

34 minutes ago, J1078 said:

These are the guys joining the mini camp and the friendly against Turkey by Date.

Socratis, Manolas and Donis will NOT  be there until the Euro call ups in June. Mitro is still injured so he wont be there either..

22 Μαΐου

Μάνταλος, Μπάρκας, Μπακασέτας, Πέλκας, Πασχαλάκης, Κουρμπέλης, Βαλεριάνος, Σιώπης, Κούτρης, Μπουχαλάκης, Φορτούνης, Μασούρας, Κουλούρης, Ντουρμισάι, Κώτσιρας.

24 Μαΐου

Μαυρίας, Κολοβός

25 Μαΐου

Σταφυλίδης

27 Μαΐου

Σάμαρης, Βλαχοδήμος, Σιόβας, Ζέκα

Bakasetas back in the fold? He’s the new Tziolis.. This is the only call up that I disagree with.

6 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

A draw is like a win. Bosnia cannot do that because they are not a defensive team. It's gonna be like the world cup group stage. Take a draw with them and make sure u don't drop points with all 3 minnows (Finland , Armenia , Liechtenstein). Make sure you do not lose to Bosnia at home and we re qualified.

As Dean said Italy are a strong side but not at France or Belgiums level so getting a win at home vs Italy is doable. If we win our home games and beat all the minnows away which we should we will qualify.

Interesting to see with Bakakis injured and Toro not called up who will get the nod that at right back. Valerianos/Kotsiras haven't been capped and are mid 20's never called up to the ethniki before now (March for Valerianos) Mavrias maybe given the nod, I guess it's something that will be tested in the friendlies beforehand. Sokratis has played right back in the past, perhaps against Italy to be conservative that will be the go, with Manolas partnering Siovas at center back. We will see. 

Bit of statement of Anastasiadis as well not calling up Torosidis, the "captain" leader, you can see he is a personality in the dressing room. Unless there is an injury we don't know about then I'm guessing he's saying I don't care who you are, if you aren't playing for your club no call up. Hopefully if that's the case it doesn't rock the boat too much and upset some of the senior players. Unfortunately these are the types of things you need to consider when speaking about the Ethniki and Greek football in general. 

• Like it 1

There are only 2 centrebacks that are available for the Turkey match. That’s includes Kourbelis. I wonder what formation Anastasiadis will go with 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1. He wouldn’t go with the first unless he trusts Samaris at CB. 

On 5/10/2019 at 3:43 PM, georgelaz said:

I don't think that Turkey is a good friendly idea. Because of the history and politics etc. it's not a good reflection of where our team is at. IE the last friendly with them we were playing not too lose and just did 5 atb so they wouldn't score at all costs. I guess an exercise for our defensive muscle but no.

I think a smarter friendly would be between a very good side ie) France, Belgium, Netherlands 

or a smaller side with a more professional FA like Northern Ireland, Wales, Czech Republic

playing a rival international derby is just unnecessary stress

Northern Ireland would be good because they're a mix of english 1st and 2nd division players. Probably the best run league in the world.

This game will be played with Greece's B/C side. Makes little sense from this angle. 

1 hour ago, Argy said:

Out of all teams to have a friendly with our B team we choose rival Turkey? How will that be good for the team moral going into the match vs Italy?

In what way will that hurt morale?

15 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

As Dean said Italy are a strong side but not at France or Belgiums level so getting a win at home vs Italy is doable. If we win our home games and beat all the minnows away which we should we will qualify.

You guys are too fast to forget that we lost to teams like Finland, Hungary, Estonia less than 6 months ago :). 

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

You guys are too fast to forget that we lost to teams like Finland, Hungary, Estonia less than 6 months ago :). 

I agree, even though we seen some positive signs its still to early to think we have turned the corner yet. Italy are definitely the favorites and a much better team then us right now so I strongly believe if we can get a draw out of this game that will feel like a win. Now if we do get a win that would be HUGE... I think the NT has to prove to it's fans that they aren't the same team who have lost to the worlds minnows... I like what I've seen from this coach and the first 2 matches of the Euros and it seems like we've turned the corner and are on our way up but I'm still skeptical and need to see more as you mentioned it was not to long ago that we lost to some pretty bad teams..

8 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Good point, my optimism comes from that fantastic comeback in Bosnia down 2-0 and we could have won it. Now the team gets to play at home and Italy are the group favourites but Greece will be more ready of the start then what we saw in Bosnia and a fully fit Manolas is a huge lift. Hopefully the home crowd will be large and boisterous after all how often do we play the Italians. I can’t wait..

• Like it 1

10 hours ago, Argy said:

This game will be played with Greece's B/C side. Makes little sense from this angle. 

Yes we should have had our best players available to play in a match vs Turkey even if it’s a friendly. I’m sure they will have all there big name players there. We need a result there vs those Kolo Turks.

• Like it 1

If anything, our B/C team is the team that is trying to break into the A team. Outside of a few spots, the rest are open for competition.  The difference in quality isn't that great.  I think

GK - Vlaho has it locked ( Paschalakis isn't that far behind)

CBs - Biggest gap here, after Sokratis/Manolas/Siovas - The other options are good but nowhere near their level. Retsos/Papadopoulos/Mavropanos - have potential but the other two especially, are already considered good for the internation level.

LB - Staf/Koutris/Lyko/Tsimakis? Staf is my pick but Koutris showed he can play. Holebas would beat them all but that ship has sailed..

RB - Open - no one here has stuck out....

Def Mids - Zeca/Kourbelis/Samaris - you can pick any two of the three and I would be ok.  It would be a great time to try out tachs to play along side of them (but he wasn't called up)

wings - Donis/Masouras  - we need more here

attacking mid - Fortounis - after him, Pelkas but Fortounis is a class above

CF - Mitroglou is starting but it's a great chance for Koulouris and Durmushaj

Would love for him to call up the Dutch contingent/Bouzoukis  to camp, to incorporate their speed...Either way, plenty of opportunities available...

• Like it 1

It’s clear that Anastasiadis dosent trust young wingers like Chatzigiovannis, Limnios and Lamprou. In my opinion they should be in the team. At least one of them. If he is thinking of playing a 3 man defence than it’s ok. I’m thinking that he see Kolovos as a winger when he shouldn’t be. He is a central players whether that’s CM, CAM or Striker. Chatzigiovannis has dropped off in the 2nd part of the season but his overall quality and talent is good enough for our squad with limited wingers. He can improve more though. Limnios shocked me with how bad he did against the Saudi’s in a friendly a few years ago. It looked like he couldn’t do anything. It felt like Bakasetas was playing. Maybe I had such high hopes and maybe it was just an off day but he has talent. Lamprou has probably the most potential out of all and playing in a better league in Netherlands. What’s the excuse with him? 

Id would’ve put Masouras in Kotsiras place  just because of the speed Masouras has.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:52 PM, Rockafeller Skank said:

... make sure u don't drop points with all 3 minnows (Finland , Armenia , Liechtenstein)

Yes, we should, but we haven’t done it in 5 years.

We shouldn’t underestimate Finland. They are no pushover. But, yes we need to beat them.

Pjanic will miss 2. Hoping they drop points with Finland.

I think we are underestimating Italy. They missed out on WC2018 and are on a mission. They are a very compact team. They will not expect to lose to us. I would not be disappointed with a draw.

A draw would be a fantastic result. Italy are the heavyweights in the group, you don't go into the games with them expecting to get anything, if you can pick up any points it's a bonus. The other 8 games are where qualification will be won and lost. In saying that it doesn't mean we go into the game and roll over, we can get a result off them but we're going to need huge performances from our big name players. Sokratis, Manolas, Fortounis are the 3 you look to in this game to provide leadership and lead you to a positive result. Nothing to lose v Italy, a draw or heck even a win would be amazing but the Armenia game a few days later is the one we can't afford to drop points. 

• Like it 1

I agree the Italians are the heavyweights in our group and to be honest they should beat us so a draw would be amazing for us.. I just hope they also beat the Bosnians without Pjanic.. finishing 2nd will come down to how we perform against Finland and the minnows and we need to make sure we get all possible points from Armenia and  Liechtenstein and hope nothing worse then a draw against Finland and Bosnia.. I’m assuming Italy will go Undefeated in this group..  

• Like it 1

Best possible scenario after June 8

Italy 10 pts 
Greece 8 pts 
Bosnia-Herzegovina 5 pts 
Finland 4 pts 

I will not mention Armenia and Liechtenstein since both of those teams have no chance to qualify 

• Like it 1

I have a good feeling for the upcoming match vs Italy as we should have all our key players in the lineup. A draw would be great but I see us pulling out win in Athens (should be a packed OAKA) and if we get it will be in the pole position.

I think Bosnia will struggle without Pjanic and more so with the way they blew the 2-0 lead vs Greece. I guess were hoping for a Finland - Bosnia draw. I said before that Finland would pose a bigger challenge for 2nd spot as they are having a good run of results recently. Even in there loss at Italy they were in the game late and they missed a great chance to equalize before losing 2-0. 

Greece vs Finland  head to head matches will be the key matches... 

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic