Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

8 hours ago, georgelaz said:

I think we need to go with what got us to the top. A premium on Experience + Form 

so for me I like this

Mitroglou

Donis Fortounis Fetfa/Lazaros

Zeca Mantalos/Pelkas

Koutris Sokratis Manolas Torosidis

Vlacho

Possible additions pending on how they do rest of the season

Masouras at RW

Kourbelis for CDM

Galanopoulos at CM

I'm not a fan of the youth unless they show they have extreme composure / form. Donis/Koutris satisfy this for me. If Stafylidis or Holebas were in the picture and in form tho I'd put them at LB over Koutris. I like Tsimikas too for attacking flair, but defensive liability. 

That’s how we should honestly set up the team. But I over heard Panathinaikos coach Giorgos Donis say that the 2 CDM positions have to know how to mark. That’s why he said he wouldn’t play Mantalos there as the 2nd CDM. Same could go for Pelkas, they need to know how to mark. I was thinking of doing the same but Donis brought up a good point.

• Like it 1

On 1/11/2019 at 9:15 PM, Dean97 said:

That’s how we should honestly set up the team. But I over heard Panathinaikos coach Giorgos Donis say that the 2 CDM positions have to know how to mark. That’s why he said he wouldn’t play Mantalos there as the 2nd CDM. Same could go for Pelkas, they need to know how to mark. I was thinking of doing the same but Donis brought up a good point.

I think we should play a CM and CDM. So a CDM to man mark like zeca take a modric/debruyne out of the game. Then we need a CM like Tachtsidis/Galanopoulos (makeshift ones in Pelkas/Mantalos) that can connect the midfield to attacking third. a big problem with us is the attacking third.

panathinaikos's run has been cute but I think even without point reductions they'd be 4th which is underperforming for the history of the club and they are still one of the biggest money spenders in the league. the full backs are expensive. mounier is expensive. kourbelis is expensive. relative to the rest of the league.

not to be a hater as my club is pao but chatzigiovannis and bouzoukis will look s%$#! for ethniki if they start imo. I bet galanopoulos would too. They've had flashes of brilliance but so far anytime we've inserted youth for ethniki they're often invisible unless it's someone with a clear stand out like Retsos who was starting for OLY and got bought for deca millions.

On 1/13/2019 at 5:12 PM, Dean97 said:

I don’t think that it means that file. It’s just showing the total market value in descending order. 

no it has more info then just that. look at pao's player wages and compare it to greek teams outside the big 4. big difference.

Just read agonasport article saying Holebas is staying retired from the Ethniki after being approached by EPO. 

We could sure use him he's been playing very well for watford and would be useful in this campaign. One more of Skibbes screw ups that bit us in the arse. 

• Sad 1

This article has been up for a while in Greece. I think we all knew this about Holebas. I do believe he would’ve added something special for us. But our main problem is very much to do with CDM/CM, ST and RB.

Torosidis is ageing and Bakakis can be very inconsistent as seen in the past. Then in the middle we have Zeca and Kourbelis who I don’t mind as they are our starters. But they are known mostly at doing the dirty work. They can run and run. They tackle well and mark dangerous opponents. But what about going forward? They have proven to be very average at best in building up play. That’s why I have always been saying here we lack and that we need a proper CM. 

I’ve been advocating for Fortounis to play a deeper free role. Where he would play sort of a Xavi like role. Pick up the ball, look up and play. Someone who can control the midfield and someone who can effectively link midfield to attack accurately and wisely. Pelkas or Mantalos can be that SS or CAM further forward. 

We can have 1 destroyer (CDM) who can win most of the ball back and cut out the opposing teams attacking play. Zeca fits that role just like Maniatis did back then. 

We need a go to guy who can take control of the tempo our team plays and I can’t think of anyone better than Fortounis. Androutsos is also that type of player but has fallen out of favour with Martins. 

Whether we play a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 we need someone deeper to create a play going forward. If you see in the past both Kourbelis and Zeca want to play forward but don’t have the forwards to make the correct option. Then make a wrong pass or inaccurate pass. This is what happens when you play players out of position and especially roles that don’t suit them. Our attack is anything that should spoken about on a later date. 

Greece’s players in all honesty are average in terms of world football. Our ranking does not help that statement. But the majority of this team plays in the GSL or unknown teams in Belgium or Holland. We need to use our players properly and understand where they are most effective. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 3

59 minutes ago, ausgreek said:

Ange A can try Taxi in that role cause he could play further up the field, even AM. Or a more athletic metro-sexual like Galanopoulos, with beard though.

I don’t know re I think Samaris seems more of a metrosexual. Also Karnezis.?

• Like it 1

17 hours ago, Dean97 said:

This article has been up for a while in Greece. I think we all knew this about Holebas. I do believe he would’ve added something special for us. But our main problem is very much to do with CDM/CM, ST and RB.

Torosidis is ageing and Bakakis can be very inconsistent as seen in the past. Then in the middle we have Zeca and Kourbelis who I don’t mind as they are our starters. But they are known mostly at doing the dirty work. They can run and run. They tackle well and mark dangerous opponents. But what about going forward? They have proven to be very average at best in building up play. That’s why I have always been saying here we lack and that we need a proper CM. 

I’ve been advocating for Fortounis to play a deeper free role. Where he would play sort of a Xavi like role. Pick up the ball, look up and play. Someone who can control the midfield and someone who can effectively link midfield to attack accurately and wisely. Pelkas or Mantalos can be that SS or CAM further forward. 

We can have 1 destroyer (CDM) who can win most of the ball back and cut out the opposing teams attacking play. Zeca fits that role just like Maniatis did back then. 

We need a go to guy who can take control of the tempo our team plays and I can’t think of anyone better than Fortounis. Androutsos is also that type of player but has fallen out of favour with Martins. 

Whether we play a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 we need someone deeper to create a play going forward. If you see in the past both Kourbelis and Zeca want to play forward but don’t have the forwards to make the correct option. Then make a wrong pass or inaccurate pass. This is what happens when you play players out of position and especially roles that don’t suit them. Our attack is anything that should spoken about on a later date. 

Greece’s players in all honesty are average in terms of world football. Our ranking does not help that statement. But the majority of this team plays in the GSL or unknown teams in Belgium or Holland. We need to use our players properly and understand where they are most effective. 

I think Holebas would have helped and is playing very well from what I have seen of him this season. Anyways the way that whole situation went down is a shame. Holebas in the World Cup match vs Costa Rica was one of our best players defending and his runs forward delivered a beautiful cross to Salpi which Navas made a great save to keep the game level. 

With respects to Fortounis playing in a deeper role that would greatly benefit us as he has the vision to pick out a pass. Zeca is a our destroyer CDM running allover the pitch and making great challenges in the mid similar to a Gattuso.

• Like it 4

Holebas would have helped big time trying to get to the Euros so it’s a shame but on the other hand the fact the coaching staff even reached out to him is a positive sign and maybe they will make smart choices when choosing the starting 11 and call ups.. Something Skibbe couldn’t get right..

• Like it 3

I just wish Samaris had more vision as a player. Would only benefit us in the national team and himself with a better team  abroad. I hope he gets in form because I think he is a decent midfielder for us I would just like him to do more when playing for Greece.

I would love to see this in the sooner rather than later.

Vlachodimos 

Sokratis Siovas Manolas

Bakakis Kourbelis Galanopoulos Koutris

Fortounis Fetfatzidis

Mitroglou

thw only problem with this is most of our players play in the GSL. Luckily for Donis he went away at 16 and progressing abroad. I would’ve put Pelkas in this starting team but he dosent work well with Fortounis. Fetfatzidis would be useful for that quick counter and his clever feet. 

We have no one better than Mitroglou at the moment in form or not. He’s tall and would perform if he had 2 behind him feeding him the ball constantly. Donis, Tsimikas and Samaris can come on for whoever is tired or isn’t working. Retsos and Papadopoulos are proving to be unreliable because of injury so Siovas is the worthy replacement. Torosidis is getting old and is now more useful as an impact sub. Bakakis is inconsistent but we have no else there as well. Also to mention most of our midfielders and wide players play in the GSL. This might mean something because the level is really low and slow paced which could be the reason our players don’t perform so well. Donis as soon as he made his debut he was very impressive and was the light of the team going forward. Our best positions are CB and GK and I see Gianniotis and Barkas going abroad soon. Fortounis I would say is the best of the bunch in terms of GSL players. But even he is somewhat limited. 

I forgot to mention Koulouris scoring form. It’s funny how Giannoulis got called back to PAOK when it should have been Koulouris. We need players like Pelkas, Kourbelis, Fortounis and Tsimikas playing abroad because it will only lift the team to a higher level. We also can’t have Fortounis walking around and looking like he dosent want to be there. We need to see more hustle and running from him if we want something more from this team. If not then I’d put Pelkas in who I know would not stop running and is fast.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 2

Good post. I would love to see Siovas in the starting 11.

Mitroglou is still our best option at striker I dont see who else would pop in the goals playing in that position. Lets hope he gets his form and confidence back.

I could see coach Ange using Fetfa as a sub when we are in need of a goal and bringing him on late in a match. I doubt he will start him. 

• Like it 2

3 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Good post. I would love to see Siovas in the starting 11.

Mitroglou is still our best option at striker I dont see who else would pop in the goals playing in that position. Lets hope he gets his form and confidence back.

I could see coach Ange using Fetfa as a sub when we are in need of a goal and bringing him on late in a match. I doubt he will start him. 

Yeah i agree. Mitroglou would just need good service and then it’s up to him to finish it off. He is nothing more than a target man. He is slow and would need someone to put it on the plate for him and Fetfatzidis can be on the to do it. Donis by the way scored a very good goal against Bayern. He seems to turn it up against them. 

• Like it 2

I think if Healthy Donis needs to be an automatic starter. I'm also not sold on Bakakis as I see a lot of inconsistencies with him. Kolouris is in great form and Mitro is struggling right now but I still think you need to start Mitro as he is a guy that can be ineffective all game and then with one chance be the difference maker. I think Kolouris right now is a good bench option if we need a second striker or if Mitro gets hurts or we need fresh legs. Toro Should not be playing more then 40 minutes a game as its starting to catch up with him and we need younger legs at that position. It will be interesting to see what coach Ange decides, I just hope he has a good system in place that everyone buys into as that is almost as important as the players he selects.. Lets not forget our 2nd game in March is away against Bosnia and that will be the biggest game for us as we cannot drop points to them.

• Like it 2

The 2nd match at Bosnia could prove whether Greece qualify for the Euros. The team at minimum has to pull out a draw, a win would be so huge and could send us on our way to qualifying as Bosnia have to go to Finland for match day 3 which is a tricky encounter and then to Italy on match day four. 

I agree Torosidis is ageing quickly but the thing is we have nobody worthy enough to use as a replacement. Same can be said for ST. These 2 positions are very, very limited. Masouras and Kitsiou are both young but are not playing week in and week out. I also agree Bakakis is inconsistent but with the right system and the right direction I can see Bakakis being successful with his overlapping runs as I have analysed his game play. But he is also very untrustworthy in defence. So I’m 50/50 with him. Tsimikas and Koutris are good options for LB. I don’t mind who starts between those 2.

• Like it 1

Mitroglou

Donis Fortounis Lazaros/Fetfa

Zeca Kourbelis

Koutris Sokr Man Toro/Bakakis

Vlacho

the / I think is where the sub should be made. Lazaros is insane form still but gets gassed so then put in fetfa and bakakis to replenish the wings.

Samaris and Galanopoulos also possibiliies at CM

I like Tsimikas a lot too but Koutris is more stable defensively. Unless we played with 3atb with wingbacks then I'd want tsimikas because like to adventure deep into the attacking thirds and a really good crosser

• Like it 2

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic