Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Sokratis still does the job for Greece which is more than I can ask for. He and Manolas are our saviours in other words. Without them I don’t know how far down the rankings we would be. Our fullbacks are not great defensively. An ageing Torosidis is a problem and also the lack of experience our LBs have should be a concern. Maybe Anastasiadis changes the formation and plays a 3-5-2. It would be a good idea as it would allow our young current wingers to mature at club football first and then be looked at down the road. 

Something like this...

Vlachodimos

Manolas Sokratis  Papadopoulos

Bakakis Kourbelis Zeca Stafyildis

Fortounis

Donis Mitroglou 

Bakakis and Stafyldis can put in decent crosses in the box. They aren’t great defensively but can be given a bit more freedom going forward and score or assist. Kourbelis and Zeca would be there as 2 workhorses covering most of the pitch and especially shielding the defence. I play Fortounis behind Mitroglou and Donis, but it would have been intriguing if Tachtsidis would play there as the 10 because of his height, passing and vision. Also he wouldn’t have to worry too much defensively as he could have a free role. His slowness is what sabotages him though. 

This formation works for our players. I believe having a system that benefits our players will only help in getting the best out of them. In the past we have seen the wrong players play and also the wrong players playing in the wrong position. As this sabotages the teams chances for success.

I believe this system would get the best out of our players and it seems the way to go. An inform Tachtsidis would be great in this system. 

Edited by Dean97

Does he really get the job done when we get scored 2 from Finns, Hunns, 1 from Estonia? I am really not so sure anymore.

2014 qualyfing was 12 goals for and 4 against (3 in our only loss in that campaign and one meme penalty from latvia). Right now we get scored 6 vs terrible teams like these and you people don't get it yet.

The best hting to do is to quit this team for a few years till it bounces. Although I am also hoping for a surprise as well in the qualifiers.

Yeah but what kind of fan would abandon their team? We can’t just give up... let’s not be those people that support the team only in the good times. The reason why we support the national team is because of having pride and passion for the country and the sport. That’s why we are on here file...

• Thanks 1

Best thing to do is quit this team?? What type of mentality is that re? I’ll tell you, the wrong one.

I guess if we continue on current projectory it’s hard to actually watch the games but I think there is some pretty basic things that will help fix the Ethniki.

1. Play people in their position

2. Stop giving kreata the same opportunity over and over again, only to get the same result each time 

3. Play in form players

4. Use friendlies to be productive with changes, not just the same old (Skibbe did this all the time)

5. 2 & 3 should create some competitive edge to the team, not the current complacency we have seen

• Like it 3

3 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Sokratis still does the job for Greece which is more than I can ask for. He and Manolas are our saviours in other words. Without them I don’t know how far down the rankings we would be. Our fullbacks are not great defensively. An ageing Torosidis is a problem and also the lack of experience our LBs have should be a concern. Maybe Anastasiadis changes the formation and plays a 3-5-2. It would be a good idea as it would allow our young current wingers to mature at club football first and then be looked at down the road. 

Something like this...

Vlachodimos

Manolas Sokratis  Papadopoulos

Bakakis Kourbelis Zeca Stafyildis

Fortounis

Donis Mitroglou 

Bakakis and Stafyldis can put in decent crosses in the box. They aren’t great defensively but can be given a bit more freedom going forward and score or assist. Kourbelis and Zeca would be there as 2 workhorses covering most of the pitch and especially shielding the defence. I play Fortounis behind Mitroglou and Donis, but it would have been intriguing if Tachtsidis would play there as the 10 because of his height, passing and vision. Also he wouldn’t have to worry too much defensively as he could have a free role. His slowness is what sabotages him though. 

This formation works for our players. I believe having a system that benefits our players will only help in getting the best out of them. In the past we have seen the wrong players play and also the wrong players playing in the wrong position. As this sabotages the teams chances for success.

I believe this system would get the best out of our players and it seems the way to go. An inform Tachtsidis would be great in this system. 

Put in Siovas instead of glass man who’s always hurt. Isn’t him with that. 

right now I'm I like some of these ideas

mitroglou

donis    fortounis   fetfa/lazaros/masouras

kourbelis/zeca galano/mantalos

koutris/tsim sok manolas torosidis/bakakis

vlacho

16 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

right now I'm I like some of these ideas

mitroglou

donis    fortounis   fetfa/lazaros/masouras

kourbelis/zeca galano/mantalos

koutris/tsim sok manolas torosidis/bakakis

vlacho

Good line up. I just don’t think Mitroglou should be by himself anymore. That’s why I put a 3-5-2. Let’s see how Masouras does at Olympiakos. Hopefully he does well. I keep forgetting we have Masouras aswell.

Edited by Dean97

Best line up is this

Manolas Sokratis Retsos
Torosidis - Kourbelis - Stafylidis/Koutris

Zeka 

Fortounis

Mitroglou Donis

3-5-2 

get past anything else for now.

EDIT: I just saw that Dean posted the same lineups with only Torosidis (he is still a game changer at Olympiakos tho so I give him +1 year at least) and 3rd CB different.

Nibbas Im honestly telling you you need to enjoy watching the NT more than being obsessed with it making it. Right now we re in no position to ask. Their limit is finishing 3rd.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

I have a hunch that the new coach is going to go with youth. I expect to see L. Lamprou, Koutris, Tzimikas, Galanopoulos, Limnios, Hatzigiovanis and maybe Mavropanos (if not injured) come into the squad. He made it clear when overlooking Lazaros for the Estonia match.

Team has been hurt by injuries at key times; K Pap, Retsos, Donis, Stafylidis and to a lesser extent Manolas & Soc missed key matches.

NT cannot continue to play slow tempo football against weak opposition. If we do, expect to see more of the same. Actually, this has been problem for 10-12 years. Difference now is we are losing these matches 1-0. Weak teams park the bus and embarrass us on the counter. When was the last time we scored 3 goals? I see progress, but it will be slow. 

I also have a hunch that  Soc will retire if we don’t make it to Euro 2020. We can’t lose to Bosnia away. A win vs Italy would be a huge boost. We will need to do better vs Finland and the return legs v Bosnia and Italy will determine our fate if we don’t stuff it up before then.

• Like it 2

Done with the old guard except for Toro, for now.

Vlahomidos

Toro (c)       Manolas          Retsos          Koutris

Galanopoulos-(metro beard)  Fortounis

Chatzigiovannis       Donis          Lamprou    

Koulouris

• Like it 2

3 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

I have a hunch that the new coach is going to go with youth. I expect to see L. Lamprou, Koutris, Tzimikas, Galanopoulos, Limnios, Hatzigiovanis and maybe Mavropanos (if not injured) come into the squad. He made it clear when overlooking Lazaros for the Estonia match.

Team has been hurt by injuries at key times; K Pap, Retsos, Donis, Stafylidis and to a lesser extent Manolas & Soc missed key matches.

NT cannot continue to play slow tempo football against weak opposition. If we do, expect to see more of the same. Actually, this has been problem for 10-12 years. Difference now is we are losing these matches 1-0. Weak teams park the bus and embarrass us on the counter. When was the last time we scored 3 goals? I see progress, but it will be slow. 

I also have a hunch that  Soc will retire if we don’t make it to Euro 2020. We can’t lose to Bosnia away. A win vs Italy would be a huge boost. We will need to do better vs Finland and the return legs v Bosnia and Italy will determine our fate if we don’t stuff it up before then.

We should really start going for youth now. By the time 2020 comes around Mitroglou and Sokratis will be 32 Torosidis will be 35 and Lazaros will be 34. We need a team of players that will play together all the time from here on out. Create that chemistry and unity within the team so we our players familiar with each other all the way to the Euros in 2020.  We having nothing to lose as we need to rebuild and that should start with our youngsters. If we want rebuild again we should play our youngsters from now not later. 

• Like it 1

18 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Does he really get the job done when we get scored 2 from Finns, Hunns, 1 from Estonia? I am really not so sure anymore.

2014 qualyfing was 12 goals for and 4 against (3 in our only loss in that campaign and one meme penalty from latvia). Right now we get scored 6 vs terrible teams like these and you people don't get it yet.

The best hting to do is to quit this team for a few years till it bounces. Although I am also hoping for a surprise as well in the qualifiers.

That is the same mentality that is making the team play in front of an empty stadium and not giving them any home field advantage.. With all do respect if that is your mentality then you are not a true fan IMO.. Sticking with the team through the highs and lows is what being a supporter is all about..  Every team goes through ups and downs and this is our time and hopefully we start turning it around sooner rather then later as we are currently in a transition period of slowly removing the older players and start implanting the younger guys..

• Like it 2

14 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

I agree I think the coach is going to go with a younger line up as well. 

In all fairness we have been one of the unluckiest teams when it comes to being healthy for key matches..

Our second game is we play Bosnia and this will be our most difficult test because it comes so early. At worst we need to get out of there with a draw.. It will be difficult though..

Im just more realistic guys.

This team has mentality issues (obviously) and Sokratis is not as he was 4 years ago. Settle it. Stats speak for themselves.

We got scored nothing 4 years go compared to what this team concedes now. New coach would better get a new scheme with lots ofCBs coz we really got goodones  

Team will go down more certain for themselves now for sure. This Group is unironically a blessing. Teams like Russia, Croatia, Germany in pot 2 were avoided.

What type of mentality exactly SHOULD I have (unironically) with this team's latest results (its currently 4 years the team is underperforming with a decent run in 2018 WC). 

• 2 weeks later...

What this team needs is a proper coach and captain. Torosidis is ok but we need another Karagounis or Zagorakis. Someone who commands every single bit of hard work and passion for the team. I find this group of players too entitle who don’t understand why it means to represent your country. Each player have to work equally as hard. They have to do go the extra mile. Defensively we seem like naturals in defence, we can defend. I want to see more from us in attack, more hunger and determination. I want our midfielders to not stop running and hasstling, I want our full back to bomb forward and create opportunities and be an option. I want the striker to be the hungriest player on the field. Most of all I want players who everything for the shirt with excuses. Fast players and players with good technique is also preferred. 

We have to play at a faster tempo with the ball and scramble for it to win it back. Play the right players in the right positions. All this would be done with the right coach and the right leader. I believe with the right coach he will pick the right squad and all of our ??? would be answered.

• Like it 2

@Dean97

I agree with you but we have a new coach now and regardless how unimpressive his first two games were we he needs to be given every opportunity. At some point if we keep getting the same results we need to start looking at our talent pool and players rather then the coach. As far a captain is concerned I couldn't agree with you more, This is the challenge finding someone that guys look up to and is a true leader, someone who has the passion and sacrifices everything for the team. Toro is okay for now but we are really missing this. Sokratis doesn't have it and either does Manolas as good as they are they are not captain material. I'm hoping this new coach finds the right formula and combination of players quick or we will miss another tournament. We also need the Greek players to play and produce and be in form and be healthy to start a tournament for once. We also need the Fans in Crete to fill the Stadium and give the team a true homefield advantage. I hope we start play with natural wingers for once. I cant wait for this tournament to start but my optimism is not to high right now but lets hope for the best.

• Like it 2

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, Rockafeller Skank said:

Im just more realistic guys.

This team has mentality issues (obviously) and Sokratis is not as he was 4 years ago. Settle it. Stats speak for themselves.

We got scored nothing 4 years go compared to what this team concedes now. New coach would better get a new scheme with lots ofCBs coz we really got goodones  

Team will go down more certain for themselves now for sure. This Group is unironically a blessing. Teams like Russia, Croatia, Germany in pot 2 were avoided.

What type of mentality exactly SHOULD I have (unironically) with this team's latest results (its currently 4 years the team is underperforming with a decent run in 2018 WC). 

Greece got a great draw considering we dropped to pot 4..  Slam dunk draw would have been to land in Group G with Poland, Austria, Israel, the Skops and Latvia. The next best draw would have been playing in England's group with Checks, and Bulgaria. 2nd would have been a lock and first place would not have been out of the question.

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, J1078 said:

@Dean97

I agree with you but we have a new coach now and regardless how unimpressive his first two games were we he needs to be given every opportunity. At some point if we keep getting the same results we need to start looking at our talent pool and players rather then the coach. As far a captain is concerned I couldn't agree with you more, This is the challenge finding someone that guys look up to and is a true leader, someone who has the passion and sacrifices everything for the team. Toro is okay for now but we are really missing this. Sokratis doesn't have it and either does Manolas as good as they are they are not captain material. I'm hoping this new coach finds the right formula and combination of players quick or we will miss another tournament. We also need the Greek players to play and produce and be in form and be healthy to start a tournament for once. We also need the Fans in Crete to fill the Stadium and give the team a true homefield advantage. I hope we start play with natural wingers for once. I cant wait for this tournament to start but my optimism is not to high right now but lets hope for the best.

I definitely agree we should hope for the best. I think Anastasiadis has to look into the u20s. He said Tsimikas, Galanopoulos, Chatzigiovannis and Koulouris will be given chances. He should also be looking at Masouras, Koutris and Mavropanos. 

Hopefully Bakasetas stays on the bench for a while aswell as Mantalos. I really hope the people in Crete come and watch the games because we all know the majority of people in Athens and Piraeus have lost hope. Let’s begin a fresh start in a new stadium which hopefully sells out every home game for the homefield advantage.

• Like it 3

Lets hope Anastasiadis  doesn't call up Bakasetas the guy has not played one decent game for the NT. 

As for playing in Crete I think the stadium will be filled and will give us a much needed home field advantage compared to what we all saw during the Nations League at OAKA.

• Like it 2

I think we need to go with what got us to the top. A premium on Experience + Form 

so for me I like this

Mitroglou

Donis Fortounis Fetfa/Lazaros

Zeca Mantalos/Pelkas

Koutris Sokratis Manolas Torosidis

Vlacho

Possible additions pending on how they do rest of the season

Masouras at RW

Kourbelis for CDM

Galanopoulos at CM

I'm not a fan of the youth unless they show they have extreme composure / form. Donis/Koutris satisfy this for me. If Stafylidis or Holebas were in the picture and in form tho I'd put them at LB over Koutris. I like Tsimikas too for attacking flair, but defensive liability. 

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

4 hours ago, georgelaz said:

I think we need to go with what got us to the top. A premium on Experience + Form 

so for me I like this

Mitroglou

Donis Fortounis Fetfa/Lazaros

Zeca Mantalos/Pelkas

Koutris Sokratis Manolas Torosidis

Vlacho

Possible additions pending on how they do rest of the season

Masouras at RW

Kourbelis for CDM

Galanopoulos at CM

I'm not a fan of the youth unless they show they have extreme composure / form. Donis/Koutris satisfy this for me. If Stafylidis or Holebas were in the picture and in form tho I'd put them at LB over Koutris. I like Tsimikas too for attacking flair, but defensive liability. 

Hopefully during this campaign Donis comes through in a big way for us!

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic