Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Does anyone believe some of the Panathinaikos players should be given a chance in the national team. They are in a roll and have a fighting spirit. They also know how to win and are young. I wouldn’t mind taking out Bakasetas, Tziolis and Tzavellas our and putting maybe Chatzigiovanis, Bouzoukis and Chatzitheodoridis in their place.

• Like it 2

They have all the attributes that is needed to change the ethniki into a fast and hungry team. Chatziovanis for example has totally stepped up, his determination alone would account for over 50% of our starting 11’s under Skibbe

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:20 AM, Dean97 said:

Does anyone believe some of the Panathinaikos players should be given a chance in the national team. They are in a roll and have a fighting spirit. They also know how to win and are young. I wouldn’t mind taking out Bakasetas, Tziolis and Tzavellas our and putting maybe Chatzigiovanis, Bouzoukis and Chatzitheodoridis in their place.

I would like to see Chatzigiovanis be given an opportunity at some point, he has really played well over the last year at PAO. He can take defenders on 1v 1 and make them look silly.

Apparently the new coach will start to implement some of these players to the NT but not during this November call ups as they are playing in the qualifiers... 

…….To see new blood like Galanopoulos, Chatzigiovannis, Tsimikas, Limnios, Koulouris, and Vlachodimos (if EPO get their priorities straight) in his call-ups for the EURO 2020 qualifiers. Do not expect some of these players in November’s call ups for the Nations League because they will be fighting with the Greece U21 squad against Austria in the qualifying playoffs for a spot in the EURO 2019 finals.

NT coach waiting to see if Manolas will be available to play the two nation leagues games.....

Η Ρόμα το Σάββατο (3/11) παίζει στο "Αρτέμιο Φράνκι" με τη Φιορεντίνα, έπεται ο αγώνας στη Μόσχα με την ΤΣΣΚΑ για το Champions League και η αναμέτρηση πρωταθλήματος με την Σαμπντόρια.

Στα μέσα του επόμενου μήνα υπάρχουν και τα δύο ματς της Εθνικής για το Nations League απέναντι σε Φινλανδία (15/11, 21:45) και Εσθονία (18/11, 21:45) και ο Άγγελος Αναστασιάδης περιμένει να δει αν θα έχει στη διάθεσή του τον Έλληνα σέντερ μπακ.

Having watch all pao games this season, bouzoukis is by far the best midfield prospect we had the last 15 years (after karagounis). He needs to improve and gets stronger. Hopefully in 1.5 years he manages to fufills his potential. He is a left footed midfilder with vision and great passing and skill. He also tries to defend and not just sits around waiting for the ball.

Even now, his passing tops that of any NT player.

36 minutes ago, PaoOle said:

Having watch all pao games this season, bouzoukis is by far the best midfield prospect we had the last 15 years (after karagounis). He needs to improve and gets stronger. Hopefully in 1.5 years he manages to fufills his potential. He is a left footed midfilder with vision and great passing and skill. He also tries to defend and not just sits around waiting for the ball.

Even now, his passing tops that of any NT player.

That’s what I have been thinking as well. He has played on the wing too. What do you think is his best position?

9 hours ago, Dean97 said:

That’s what I have been thinking as well. He has played on the wing too. What do you think is his best position?

Dean97, assuming that he improves as he gets more experience, I believe that he is better as a CM as he is not really fast but has great vertical passing. His pass on Makeda in the initial minutes against PAOK is such an example.

However even at the wing he plays well, as he can pass to the other side well and switch possesion.

Having witness the Ninis progression; I state that Bouzoukis needs to work on his game. Ninis game was more based on quicness and once that got away at 18 (due to issues at κοιλιακους) he did not adjust. Also he was never strong something that hindered his play. Buzoukis is stronger and it seems that he can still grow on him body.

• Like it 1

Thanks for the reply @PaoOle. I was thinking the same. I’d like to see him in the senior national team in the future. His passing and vision is definitely his strong points. He is also strong but he still needs to develop further in order to be even better than what he is now. Also his shooting is great aswell.

• 2 weeks later...

Mitroglou

Donis Fortounis  Lazaros/Fetfa

Zeca

Holebas                      Torosidis

siovas manolas sokratis

Odysseas

5-1-3-1 Might work

we concede the midifleld since our options there sucks and we do anyways. make up for it with a beefed up defense which is our strength and rely almost exclusively for wings.

just an idea not sure if it would work in practice. seems we play when we play in form players though and in their natural positions.

If fans want a 3 5 2 - for real, then Ange Postacoglou has the balls to implement it, as long as it is carried out to the letter, the defence should be acceptable. Anyway, see what Ange A has to offer now that he is there. We know already he offer 4 2 3 1. Its not as if 4 2 3 1 is overl successful for the Pirates. Should try something else like 2 up front.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

2 up front koulouris and mitro and just crossing like it's going outta style might be the formula

then beef up defense with 3atb. might be our strengths. similar to how we played in the euro. we don't have much in the middle besides fortounis which is in attacking third and very rarely can get involved because our cm's can't connect a penetrating pass. it's all wing play.

let's stop trying to be something we are not and play to our dna. 2 strikers. lotsa crosses. 3 cb's. we got the cb's for it. sokratis, manolas, kpaps, siovas, retsos are all great choices.

• Like it 2

Team is now back at a pre-EURO 2004 state. It took us 14 years to regress full circle. 

For next spring's ECQ, Lazaros must be there, and as long as Fetfa gets minutes at Oly, he has a place in the squad. We've been calling up out of form, out of favour, even out of club players for years, but we can't call up a player that even for 10 minutes can add a different dimension to the game?

Bakasetas tries, but he is always bad. They ask way too much from this player with limited ability. I don't want to see him with the NT anymore, but I can live with him on the bench. Mantalos is another one that consistently offers lazy, frail, nervous performances with the ethniki. Like Bakasetas, would like to see him no more, but will settle with him on the bench. 

Mitroglou still has a place on the roster, but, man, is he hard to watch. Very dull and sluggish.

Samaris deserves a spot in the starting XI. He is good tehnically and brings with him a sharpness and confidence in ability that only a guy playing and training with one of the better clubs in Europe can bring. Guy's, I don't care what anyone says, this makes a difference. Superleague clubs are far from the standards of big European clubs in terms of training facilities/programs and club culture. Portugal is not the greatest league in the world, but it's better than Greece and has lots of raw talent, technical skill and competitiveness throughout the championship, and Benfica are a perennial Champions League club. Even if Samaris isn't a consistent starter, he still trains for and lives those matches. 

Donis and Retsos need to stay healthy or they will go down the road to obscurity like K. Papadopoulos, who may have had more potential than everyone. 

A lot more to say, but all we have is time until March. 

4 hours ago, Argy said:

Team is now back at a pre-EURO 2004 state. It took us 14 years to regress full circle. 

For next spring's ECQ, Lazaros must be there, and as long as Fetfa gets minutes at Oly, he has a place in the squad. We've been calling up out of form, out of favour, even out of club players for years, but we can't call up a player that even for 10 minutes can add a different dimension to the game?

Bakasetas tries, but he is always bad. They ask way too much from this player with limited ability. I don't want to see him with the NT anymore, but I can live with him on the bench. Mantalos is another one that consistently offers lazy, frail, nervous performances with the ethniki. Like Bakasetas, would like to see him no more, but will settle with him on the bench. 

Mitroglou still has a place on the roster, but, man, is he hard to watch. Very dull and sluggish.

Samaris deserves a spot in the starting XI. He is good tehnically and brings with him a sharpness and confidence in ability that only a guy playing and training with one of the better clubs in Europe can bring. Guy's, I don't care what anyone says, this makes a difference. Superleague clubs are far from the standards of big European clubs in terms of training facilities/programs and club culture. Portugal is not the greatest league in the world, but it's better than Greece and has lots of raw talent, technical skill and competitiveness throughout the championship, and Benfica are a perennial Champions League club. Even if Samaris isn't a consistent starter, he still trains for and lives those matches. 

Donis and Retsos need to stay healthy or they will go down the road to obscurity like K. Papadopoulos, who may have had more potential than everyone. 

A lot more to say, but all we have is time until March. 

I agree with your Samaris comment. He does bring this sharpness and his passes are accurate. More accurate than Kourbelis and Zeca. He should be in the 11. I’d play Galanopoulos next to him. The only thing is I don’t think he is the answer. Bouchalakis is too slow. He should be on the bench at least. 

Mantalos and Bakasetas have done nothing for us. I’d rather Mantalos though. Pelkas you could do something with but hasn’t performed.

I don’t think Lazaros is the answer either. Fetfatzidis id like to see. I don’t think these 2 will be in the team. I’d be ok if Angelos calls up Chatzigiovannis and Donis instead. 

Last point is that Karelis should be ahead of Mitroglou for now. I see something more with him and he is younger let Mitroglou sit on the bench. 

I’d go with this 23 in the future...

Vlachodimos, Barkas, Gianniotis, Torosidis, Retsos, Manolas, Sokratis, Siovas, Koutris, Tsimikas, Kourbelis, Samaris, Zeca, Galanopoulos, Pelkas, Fortounis, Chatzigiovannis, Bouzoukis, Fetfatzidis, Mitroglou, Masouras, Karelis, Donis...

I like playing with wingers. I’d have no more than 3DMs. Kourbelis can also play CB. We have a problem at RB so Retsos and Torosidis will do for now. This team looks shaken up with good experience and talented youth. Bouzoukis should be looked at for that CM role. He is better than Bakasetas. I picked Mitroglou even though I didn’t want him. We really have no one else in that position.

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

As for Tzioli$, Toro, Samaris, Fortounis, Mantalos, Mykonos and Angelos, they remind me of a Toby Keith song on Youtube "I'm not as good as I once was". One of my favourites. This is so them. 

Edited by ausgreek
  • Haha 3

Mitroglou is our best striker by far. 

Karelis is decent but he's made of glass and toss up whether he plays a season or not. Also he's more of ss than pure striker from what I've seen. He always plays with a partner at club level.

Not playing proper wingers is what hurts us. Should be Donis on the left Lazaros on the right for 60 mins and Fetfa for the last 30 mins. Besides that we're very slim on the wings department. Chatzigiovannis looks promising though and Masouras too. 

• Like it 2

that's because masouras is actually playing in his position. was watching a highlight reel of him and he's been lighting up the big 4 past 2 seasons. Don't think he should be a starter but he adds much needed depth to the wings. Donis and Lazaros should be our wings. Fetfa and Masouras reserves.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic