Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I’m not saying Donis doesn’t have potential guys. I’m saying it hasn’t shown anywhere yet. If he was better he would be playing for another team not Stuttgart. The goalie scored against Bayern was nice.  But if those kinds of plays come once every couple of years or so, it’s useless.  Those plays have to be made consistently. I really hope I’m proven wrong in a couple years, months, or even next week. But I don’t see it as of yet. Trust me, I hope I can come back and apologize to everyone here for being wrong. As for the keeper positions sure Vlacho will be a great addition. But right now the more pressing needs on this team is attacking. I think everyone will agree to that. And yes, unfortunately I follow Greek soccer although it’s getting to the point where houseleague u 12 might be more enjoyable to watch, I still follow it. 

It is true that we put a lot of stock in our young flashy attacking players we hope will become a star in Europe. We have had plenty over the past decade, notably Samaras, Ninis, Fetfatzidis, Vellios, even Koutsianikoulis for a short period. For one reason or another, they are in a different spotlight than say some younger domestic stars like Fortounis, Pelkas, Mantalos, who were never really expected to take the next step and shine in Europe. Now we have Donis, who was signed by Juventus and showed lots of potential out on loan, and now belongs to a pretty decent size club in the Bundesliga. He has been pretty good when given the chance at Stuttgart and has showed some brilliant flashes, but it is definitely important to manage our expectations with him. I would love to see him get some minutes with both club and country, but don't forget the kid just turned 22 a month ago, there is time. I don't think, however, that he is a slam dunk, but his ceiling, in my opinion, is higher than probably any forward playing in and around Greece. Here's hoping he stays healthy and rises to the opportunities when given. 

• Like it 1

Samaras I think had a great career. He was a vital part of our NT post euro 2004 and was an important part of Celtic when they were actually a very good team. Barca even considered getting him at a time and he almost buried that goal vs. Argentina to get us into knockouts for first time of history and was responsible for us getting into round of 16. If you look at world cup 2014 we were actually close the final if you look at how things panned out (every single team on our bracket the games ended in pks and the final in extra time)

fetfa might redeem himself and become a late bloomer.

I think fetfa is our best winger when in form. Donis has the potential to be our greatest.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

I'm hoping over time form and injuries pending that this becomes our lineup

Mitroglou

Donis Fortounis Fetfa

Zeca Kourbelis

Staf Sok Manolas Retsos

Vlacho

Samaris maybe if he finds his form again.

I don't see this happening but in attack

Karelis 

Donis Fetfa Manthatis

that would be really cool / unpredictable / creative / and pacey

Mitroglou relies more on build up play and our NT sucks at that hence why he was so good at Benfica. Benfica is a powerhouse in portugal

Karelis is more suited for our NTs underdog status. His goal vs. egypt was a breakaway

Edited by georgelaz

Interesting points by everyone. Donis is a special player. I agree with @AchillesHeel that Donis needs consistency and substance in his play. He is by far our best winger. Fetfatzidis as I said before needs to be in this team based on his skill and creativity. His ability to take on players as another key aspect to his game. 

Samaras could have had a better career for sure. But he did accomplish many things and was the reason we made the round of 16 for the first time in the world cup. 

I'm not looking forward to seeing Lazaros on the wing. For club he is good there but for country he can't get any rhythm going for some reason. I would play him central, maybe as a CAM or even ST. 

I do believe though our attack needs more focus, but the way Odysseus has been playing he should be capped. Karnezis I'd not trust 100%, Barkas is good but needs to develop more and Gianniotis is a confident keeper but at times can make a critical error. 

My team for the next game:

Giannioits

Bakakis Manolas Sokratis Lykogiannis

Zeca Kourbelis

Fetfatzidis Fortounis Pelkas 

Mitroglou

Although I would like to replace Mitroglou, there is no one really who can replace him yet. Karelis is an option but needs more momentum and game time time in order to get the best out of him. 

Lazaros is better off the bench in my opinion. Mantalos can come on if things don't work. 

• Like it 1

On 10/2/2018 at 9:42 PM, georgelaz said:

Samaras I think had a great career. He was a vital part of our NT post euro 2004 and was an important part of Celtic when they were actually a very good team. Barca even considered getting him at a time and he almost buried that goal vs. Argentina to get us into knockouts for first time of history and was responsible for us getting into round of 16. If you look at world cup 2014 we were actually close the final if you look at how things panned out (every single team on our bracket the games ended in pks and the final in extra time)

fetfa might redeem himself and become a late bloomer.

I think fetfa is our best winger when in form. Donis has the potential to be our greatest.

Yes my point is that they had varying degrees of success, but there were very high expectations for all of them and none even got close. Samaras did have a solid career at Celtic. For years he was at arm's length of being bought by a bigger club, which never really happened. He had a successful international career as well, scoring and setting up some massive goals for Greece. His career will be tainted, however, with his unceremonious fall to obscurity. It seemed as though one day he was in the CL and scoring in the World Cup, and the next he was playing semi-pro in the U.S. And this all took place in his late 20s and early 30s. He's still just 33. Perplexing. 

Paschalakis and Tsimikas called up for the first time. 
No real surprises, good to see Karelis get a recall as well, giving us a decent option off the bench if something happens to Mitro 

The 24 players called up: Καρνέζης, Μπάρκας, Πασχαλάκης, Τοροσίδης, Μπακάκης, Παπασταθόπουλος, Μανωλάς, Τζαβέλλας, Οικονόμου, Κολοβέτσιος, Γιαννούλης, Τσιμίκας, Ζέκα, Τζιόλης, Μάνταλος, Φορτούνης, Πέλκας, Κουρμπέλης, Μπουχαλάκης, Μπακασέτας, Χριστοδουλόπουλος, Μήτρογλου, Καρέλης, Κουλούρης.

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ellada/ethniki_elladas/me-pasxalakh-kai-tsimika-oi-epiloges-toy-skimpe-gia-to-nations-league.5327237.html

Skibbe should lose his job based on these call ups alone..: he is such a s%$#! coach... His job is on the line and this is what he comes up with...?‍♂️

Καρνέζης, Μπάρκας, Πασχαλάκης, Τοροσίδης, Μπακάκης, Παπασταθόπουλος, Μανωλάς, Τζαβέλλας, Οικονόμου, Κολοβέτσιος, Γιαννούλης, Τσιμίκας, Ζέκα, Τζιόλης, Μάνταλος, Φορτούνης, Πέλκας, Κουρμπέλης, Μπουχαλάκης, Μπακασέτας, Χριστοδουλόπουλος, Μήτρογλου, Καρέλης, Κουλούρης.

Edited by J1078

Vlachodimos could be on the cusp of a call-up next time around.... According to this article he has never declared who he wants to play for NT wise, and has kept his options open but wants a guarantee that'll he'll be in the top 2 choices and in the mix for a potential start. 

Article here

Vlachodimos wants to play for Germany. There's a reason he was a part of their youth setup from U15-U21. If we ever see him showing up in a Greek jersey, it'll be because DFB let him know that he's not in their plans. For all we know, he's already rebuffed the EPO and it just hasn't gotten out yet.

So Skibbe thinks Mpakasetas is actually more useful than Fetfatzidis at the moment? What's the point of calling up for number "10" players in the squad you douchebag? 

Why the fck this brainless chicken called up Bouchalakis and Tziolis but no Galanopoulos yet again? Why have Siovas and Vlachodimos constantly been overlooked?

Hopefully he either wins or he's out.

At this point guys for the long term success of the team better we drop points and get this guy out of here... we will not succeed with this clown as our coach and we are just delaying the obvious.. We can’t win with this guys thinking so I’m literally at the point where I want to lose now so he gets sacked.. we won’t advance out of the nations league with him anyways..

fetfa just started starting now. after the last nations leagues games.

bakasetas was a key player for AEKs league win. seems rationale to me. if skibbe doesn't call him up for the next games though THEN I will be on his case.

no you're wrong. bakasetas is a number 10 player and we already have 3 of them which is more than enough in a 23 man roster. i can't think how he overlooked fetfatzidis atm when we have no other wingers but instead he called up 4 similar type of players. 

• Like it 1

He should have been sacked before nation's league. Now we have to wait again to make a major tournament. The people EPO seem so clueless where the whole needs a revamp. I can't believe we missed an opportunity of hiring Schuster. Skibbe seemed like a last option if nothing else worked out. Its sickening. Koulouris, Giannoulis, Kolovetsios, Oikonomou, Tzavellas, Tziolis and Bakasetas don't deserve to be in the team especially when there are clear better options. Fetfatzidis is hands down the best we have on the ball, the things that he does all Greek players wish they could do. But no he is not looked at. Same with Siovas. Starts week in and week in the 2nd best league in the world for the past 2 years and Is only 29. Also look at Holebas. Koutris even deserves to be in this team. He has quality crosses and doesn't get beaten so easily in defence. What has Karelis done to deserve a spot? I like him and I think he is good but he hasn't played much. He should have called up Manos. Also why aren't Klonaridis and Vlachodimos in our plans? Everything is all over the place. I believe if we have a new manager and a new EPO we would see something like this.

Vlachodimos

Bakakis Manolas Sokratis Holebas

Zeca Galanopoulos

Fetfatzidis Fortounis Donis

Mitroglou

Koutris, Lazaros, Torosidis, Kourbelis, Pelkas, Mantalos, Karnezis, Gianniotis, Retsos, Siovas, Karelis, Gianniotas.

This should be the current 23 man squad. Of some players are injured or out of form we also have:

Paschalakis, Barkas, Papadopoulos, Bouchalakis, Lykogiannis, Stafylidis, Samaris, Tachtsidis, Manos, Androutsos and the rest of the u21s who are getting game time at senior level for their clubs.

These are the players that should be in and around the national team. In the 23 man team you have at least 5 experienced players in their 30s that can still play and be leaders in the dressing room. You have also got players in their peak performing at a high level eg. Manolas, Fortounis, Mitroglou and Kourbelis. Also youngsters who deserve their place in the team eg. Galanopoulos. These names are more than enough to experiment and with no Tziolis, Koulouris and so on. The PAO youth players are more talented as well. It's not that hard to create the best team possible. We good enough players in our talent pool to create a competitive team. Again it's not that hard.

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, La Mendel said:

Skibbe does the Otto closed club thing but he consistently calls up the wrong players (Kolovetsios Oikonomou Tzavellas Tziolis Bakasetas Koulouris etc.). As long as theyre not abysmal they are ALWAYS there (Vellios Diamantakos were sacked).

He are nothing but lazy selections. Less changes, less work he has to put in. 

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic