Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

panathinaikos going down I think is a big reason why NT is struggling as well. When we won the euro pao was a high quality side.

Basinas, Karagounis, Seitaridis, nikopolidis, salpi,

and AEK was stacked too (AEK is still good tho)

there was that nice era in 2010 as well with karagounis/ninis/katsouranis

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 2

Salpingidis, Samaras and Gekas came just after the Euro 2004 win. I sort of agree with you  @georgelaz about PAO going down and producing players for their national team. I believe they have good young players in the youth and they should play their best in the senior team. Then they will start progressing as players in the top flight and can sooner rather than later become options. Emmanoulidis is very talented and only 17. Chatzigiovannis is skillful attacking threat and is 21. Pispas can progress if given more game time.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

I don't think he's the answer. Very average player in my opinion. Our midfield is our huge problem. Our midfield always gets beaten and our defence makes up for it. We might need to go to a 3-5-2. The wing backs need to run heaps and that's also a problem because I don't think we have players with the stamina to handle that responsibility. We are lucky to have Zeca. He is the engine and never gives up. 

On 7/11/2018 at 10:36 PM, AchillesHeel said:
1 hour ago, AchillesHeel said:

I hope so....I forgot to put pencil him in ahead of Giannotas after Lazaros on the wings.

donis and lazaros on the wings and their form is a god send. + fetfa as super sub if he gets his s%$#! together. pelkas is also okay a rw.

our most questionable position is one of the DM slots strangely. which greece historically was pretty decent at before. katsouaranis/basinas

Don't forget RB. Torosidis is ageing and Bakakis is 50/50 in defence. We need the right player next to Zeca in midfield. I prefer to play a promising player that we can give matches to and give experience to also at RB. Masouras can get a chance if he's in form at Olympiakos. Otherwise Retsos can play there. 

5 hours ago, J1078 said:

Don't be so sure Argy, I don't have confidence that Skibbe will select him.. I hope I'm wrong.

I think that if he performs regularly and well he will get a call up. I'm hopeful.

With Nations League just around the corner and the World Cup coming to an end we saw Croatia our playoff opponent finish 2nd and Belgium who was in our group finish 3rd. I believe Greece would have fared very well at the World Cup had we made it.

We were very unfortunate to have had Manolas suspended and Donis injured for that match vs Croatia and a make shift lineup by Skibbe that was atrocious. I believe we could have gotten a result in Croatia had these two players been in our lineup.

As qualifying for the Euro begins Skibbe better go with his best IN FORM players not guys that are not getting any playing time and I really hope he moves on from Tziolis and Tzavellas. We have much better and this Nations League is the perfect time for these guys to get minutes.

• Like it 2

59 minutes ago, Makynia said:

With Nations League just around the corner and the World Cup coming to an end we saw Croatia our playoff opponent finish 2nd and Belgium who was in our group finish 3rd. I believe Greece would have fared very well at the World Cup had we made it.

We were very unfortunate to have had Manolas suspended and Donis injured for that match vs Croatia and a make shift lineup by Skibbe that was atrocious. I believe we could have gotten a result in Croatia had these two players been in our lineup.

As qualifying for the Euro begins Skibbe better go with his best IN FORM players not guys that are not getting any playing time and I really hope he moves on from Tziolis and Tzavellas. We have much better and this Nations League is the perfect time for these guys to get minutes.

I agree that we ended up playing two of the 3 best teams that were in the World Cup and if Donis and manolas were playing the game in Croatia would have been different. Now we might have not got a result but I don't think we would have lost by more then 1 goal which would have given us a chance in the 2nd game.. I don't see Skibbe moving away from Tziolis at all if he wasn't going to use him then he wouldn't have played the entire game in our friendly and he would have tried someone else.. I truly think Skibbe is still not that knowledgable of the Greek players because if he was there is no way he would continue to choose the line up he does.. This nations league will show us a lot and ultimilety what we can except from this coach going forward.. We can not continue to play guys that don't get regular playing time, and where we are unsure about a certain postion then you need to pick players with speed who can make up for their mistakes.. We need to stop playing guys that are slow and lazy like Taxi... lets see what happens but until i see changes with the call ups and line up selections then I don't except anything to change from our last campaign regarding players..

• Like it 3

I have been overcome with Tziolis-sysmosys. In a  hypnotic state of mind. I know now why Skibbe picks him first in every squad. Skibbe and I now believe Tziol is the no.1 midfielder in the world. Yes my peeps we have been wrong all this time.

Pirates best players are currently Tziolis, Tziolis, Tzavellas, Maniatis Samaris and Tachtsidis.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, J1078 said:

I agree that we ended up playing two of the 3 best teams that were in the World Cup and if Donis and manolas were playing the game in Croatia would have been different. Now we might have not got a result but I don't think we would have lost by more then 1 goal which would have given us a chance in the 2nd game.. I don't see Skibbe moving away from Tziolis at all if he wasn't going to use him then he wouldn't have played the entire game in our friendly and he would have tried someone else.. I truly think Skibbe is still not that knowledgable of the Greek players because if he was there is no way he would continue to choose the line up he does.. This nations league will show us a lot and ultimilety what we can except from this coach going forward.. We can not continue to play guys that don't get regular playing time, and where we are unsure about a certain postion then you need to pick players with speed who can make up for their mistakes.. We need to stop playing guys that are slow and lazy like Taxi... lets see what happens but until i see changes with the call ups and line up selections then I don't except anything to change from our last campaign regarding players..

I have that same feeling about Tziolis. Why would Skibbe play him in the friendlies and not be in the plans for the nations league? He played many players from the u21s against Saudi. These players good or bad should be slowly making there way in the first team. Androutsos and Galanopoulos are players who should be involved from now. Tsimikas is another one. The u21s I realised do not have a strong or aggressive midfielder as a 6 who does the dirty work. Like Zeca. Most of their midfielders are box to box midfielders. The right back position needs work aswell for the u21s. Same could be said for the men's team. Hopefully Masouras picks up form at Olympiakos. So midfield in my opinion is a huge problem leading into the nation's league. We will probably see Zeca and Samaris start together. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 2

Greece got jobbed by FIFA with the suspension to Manolas or else the first leg I believe most likely would have ended 1-1 or at worst 1-2 which still would have given us a great chance going back to Athens. Skibbe didn't help our cause with his selections either. I hate to say it but I guarantee he will start our first nations league match with Tziolis in the midfield. 

I still can't believe Skibbe ignored Fetfatzidis for all this time. If Fetfatzidis comes back to the team Skibbe will what was I thinking not calling him up. With Fetfatzidis in the team our attack instantly become more dangerous. With Pelkas and Donis also on the field at the same time we can become more dangerous. I'd like to see Mantalos or Fortounis as the 8.

• Like it 1

I honestly do not understand the whole fuss about Tziolis because although I agree. He is shitte as fck, who else do we got?

Everyone was crying and begging for Siopis to start. Where is he now? Oly bought him and they don't even want him anymore.

Kourbelis? He was supposed to be the big signing of the "Greeks" this summer. Almost August and he is still at PAO. And the fact that he travelled for Preseason with PAO and missed the preaseason with his possible new team makes me believe that he is a flop in the making at least for the next season.

Samaris is getting playtime at Benfica friendlies? I don't think so.

Tachtsidis, I gotta hope he decides to step up his game for the last couple of seasons he has left and go to a better championship. He flopped at Olympiakos but it was not his fault to be honest. Whole team was not interested in playing.

Remember Petsos? Where the f is he now. He got a signing at Werder and maybe hasn't played professionally since then.

Whoever you guys name, is gonna be nothing significant and nothing different than Tziolis. We suck at 6 and 8. You want charisis ? Yeah he might be more agile, but he can't slow the game as well as Tziolis when needed, he can't have the through ball Tziolis and Taxi have. Kourbelis as well, he ain't regista, just defensive. Same goes for Siopis. The problem with the Greek NT ain't who s gonna be our defensive midfielder, is who s gonna create from the back. And literally from all the bad players we have (considerably to the rest roster) Tziolis is a bit better at that.

Quit crying whoever we put in the midfield is gonna be mediocre. Samaris-Kourbelis is the best option if we have proper wingplayers who focus on offence. Having Donis-Lykogiannis from the start of the campaign , rather than the middle , as at the last qualification campaign is gonna be an upgrade on our left side though.

The reason that Tziolis started in the Saudi Arabia game was because we had an experimental team and Skibbe wanted someone who was familiar with those players and he plays in their league. Regarding Fetfa, while I want him to be included in the next round of games, we need to put his past performances in perspective.  He wasn't exactly Messi when he played but still an upgrade over a Zeca on the wing.

Zeca is 100 times better than tziolis and so is Samaris. Also, kone was used as a Cm for AEK at times last yr. Tziolis is at least 8-9th down the list when it comes to options at cm

Edited by nick
  • Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic