Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

17 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Many others have aswell. Greeks in Greece do that when they write their articles... 

I didn't know It was such a big thing to some people...

Eg. Kareli, Kourbeli, Pelka, Manola....:cool:

without the 'S' seems more informal. Also without the S is how it is for girls. Anna Vissi

Donis in my opinion is our most threatening attacker. I believe if we have these players in the field at the same time we could see a more a faster and threatening attack:

Pelkas, Galanopoulos, Tachtsidis, Donis, Karelis, Fetfatzidis or Gianniotas. 

All of a sudden you have got players who can control the ball well and move off it aswell. If Karelis can continue scoring then I don't see why he doesn't start over Mitroglou. 

15 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Donis in my opinion is our most threatening attacker. I believe if we have these players in the field at the same time we could see a more a faster and threatening attack:

Pelkas, Galanopoulos, Tachtsidis, Donis, Karelis, Fetfatzidis or Gianniotas. 

All of a sudden you have got players who can control the ball well and move off it aswell. If Karelis can continue scoring then I don't see why he doesn't start over Mitroglou. 

I want to see Karelis in a more competitive league. 

37 minutes ago, AchillesHeel said:

Belgium is ok for now if he continues to start for his team....and if he continues scoring and establishes himself as a goal scorer he'll certainly get noticed by a bigger club in a better league....much better than getting a transfer prematurely and then riding the pine hoping to break into the line up

Yes you are not wrong about that. Just would like to see him in Germany or France sooner than later. I think a lot of us see him as a 22 year-old; He's 26 - only 3 years younger than Mitroglou - and it`s time to make some noise. 

• Like it 1

8 hours ago, Argy said:

No Mitroglou should still be our main striker. I was alluding more to his club career. 

I meant to say that if Mitroglou is on the bench continuously with Karelis scoring for his club then Karelis should start. When both on form I would mind seeing both.

mitro is arguebly our best striker of all time imo.

second probably Gekas.

Samaras is like the dark horse. Kinda like Fetfa. Flashes in the pan of world class displays.

Donis is sorta a striker as well so we have 3 good ones playing at a high level. Donis/Karelis can alternate as second striker role.

Bakasetas can also play striker and has a sweet shot. We also got Kone who hasn't looked too shabby.

Giakoumakis might make something of himself. He has good positioning and strength.

Of course, we're not as blessed in this position as we are at CB with 4 great options Sokratis, Manolas, Retsos, Kpaps.

Edited by georgelaz

Skibbe has already said that he does not need to see Mitroglou, Manolas, Sokratis or Torosidis in these friendlies. No way he is calling any of them up for these two games. It will be Kpaps and Retsos at CB and Bakakis at RB. Karelis will definitely be our striker.

Let's see what we can do vs two teams heading to the World Cup. Good measuring stick.

• Like it 1

skibbe is brainless. that's a fact. these friendlies will affect our rankings and will be a good test for the nations league but that idiot doesn't want the team to start getting some cohesion.

also PLEASE stop mentioning kone as a striker for the sake of god, he's a midfielder.

5 hours ago, georgelaz said:

mitro is arguebly our best striker of all time imo.

second probably Gekas.

Samaras is like the dark horse. Kinda like Fetfa. Flashes in the pan of world class displays.

Gekas and Samaras? Did you get a time machine or something?? It's 2018 file, not 2014

4 hours ago, Makynia said:

Skibbe has already said that he does not need to see Mitroglou, Manolas, Sokratis or Torosidis in these friendlies. No way he is calling any of them up for these two games. It will be Kpaps and Retsos at CB and Bakakis at RB. Karelis will definitely be our striker.

Let's see what we can do vs two teams heading to the World Cup. Good measuring stick.

What about Tziolis and Maniatis? What a disappointment it would be if they did get called up. I'm not nuts about Kourbelis and Galanopoulos anymore. I do believe they will run more. But I believe we need another midfielder like Tachtsidis but faster.

2 hours ago, tantra129 said:

"mitro is arguebly our best striker of all time imo."

there is no argument. you are wrong. OF ALL TIME?  please revisit this statement.

He says he is best of all time because he is from a different generation like me  and doesnt know how the strikers were from the 80s or 90s so it's easy to say that it's Mitroglou because thats all our generation knows and maybe a few from the early 2000s. Anastasopoulos, Charisteas, Salpingidis, Nikolaidis, Gekas, Sideris and Mitroglou are our best strikers we've had. The best I don't know but there probably other that I have missed as well. 

• Like it 1

Anastopoulos is the best of all time. Not even close. He would score goals and never had a supporting cast. Most times he’d be the only one in the attacking half. But that’s my opinion. I’m old. 

I was a kid but I still remember his work ethic, good with the ball and had a nose for the goal. And that moustache. He would create his own chances. Never really caught on in Italy. Bad team and I guess it was all new with playing abroad back then. 

On 3/13/2018 at 6:06 PM, Jimmyp said:

Anastopoulos is the best of all time. Not even close. He would score goals and never had a supporting cast. Most times he’d be the only one in the attacking half. But that’s my opinion. I’m old. 

yeah I only got into greek soccer in 2004 during the euro so I can't say from before but aren't modern footballers much better conditioned?

21 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

One player I always thought was overlooked is Nikos Machlas....a prolific scorer in Greece but also in Holland when the Dutch league had real quality.

Soccer, unlike more physical sports, like American football, relies more on finesse than size, strength and speed, and there is surely a lesser drop from modern players and those of eras past.

That said, conditioning, training and nutrition have evolved immensely. Brazil of today would likely have their way with Pele`s Brazil, pound for pound. 

• Like it 1

Zeca RWB I think would be effective. Obviously Samaris, Fortounis need to get their old form and Holebas and Fetfa are gone from the scene but I think in certain time periods this would have been our best line up

Mitroglou

Laz            Fortounis         Fetfa

Samaris

Holebas                                      Zeca

Manolas Sokratis Kpaps

Karnezis

Edited by georgelaz

It seems so odd to me that Fetfa has been essentially blacklisted from NT these past few years. Is it really because he's playing in Saudi Arabia? I find that hard to believe. Not saying the guy is a world beater by any means, but he's pacey and provides the type of spark that the Ethniki is largely missing.

15 hours ago, Soprano76 said:

It seems so odd to me that Fetfa has been essentially blacklisted from NT these past few years. Is it really because he's playing in Saudi Arabia? I find that hard to believe. Not saying the guy is a world beater by any means, but he's pacey and provides the type of spark that the Ethniki is largely missing.

It cannot be just about the league he plays in. As I had stated in a recent post, so many top tier national teams still pick players that in play in clubs for a paycheck like in China. Carrasco and Witsel who will both be on Belgium`s world cup team, for example, both play in China. Furthermore, we keep calling up a sub par Tziolis who plays in the same league as Fetfa. 

There is something deeper in the Fetfa saga. 

2 hours ago, tantra129 said:

the Tziolara mystery explained:

http://www.contra.gr/Columns/contra-epithesi/greece/h-maxh-twn-agents-sthn-ethnikh-omada.5124021.html

Φορτούνης, Κουλούρης, Πέλκας, Σταφυλίδης, Κυριάκος Παπαδόπουλος, Γιαννιώτας, Τζιόλης (Κουτσολιάκος)

That could definitely have a role to play, but how about all the other players Koutsoliakos represents? It`s only for Tziolis he fights for? I guess though at 33, still playing on the NT increases his bargaining power when he will be looking for a team in the summer.

Here is a excerpt from a recent Skibbe interview with Contra.gr

Ειδικά για τον Τζιόλη θα σας πω ότι ήταν εξαιρετικός στα τελευταία παιχνίδια. Εκανε ακριβώς αυτά που έπρεπε ως αμυντικός μέσος. Εστω κι αν δεν αγωνίζεται σε μια μεγάλη ομάδα και σε ένα προηγμένο πρωτάθλημα, έστω κι αν είναι πλέον 32 ετών, θεωρώ ότι η απόδοσή του ήταν σε πολύ καλό επίπεδο και η κριτική άδικη.

Transaltion: For Tziolis, specifically, I can tell you that he was exceptional in the last couple of matches. He did exactly what he was supposed to as a defensive midfielder. Even if he does not play at a big club or in a developed league, even if he is 32 years old (he actually recently turned 33), I think his performance was at a very high level and that his critics are wrong.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic