Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

12 hours ago, Argy said:

My view of Greece leading up for the upcoming Nations League and Euro campaign:

Irreplaceable core: Sokratis (C), Manolas, Papadopoulos, Donis, Mitroglou, Retsos 

Important but replaceable core: Karnezis, Fortounis, Stafylidis, Zeca, Lazaros, Samaris, Mantalos, Tachtsidis

Players who can earn a place in core: Gianniotas, Bakasetas, Pelkas, Lykogiannis, Galanopoulos, Androutsos, Kourbelis, Kapino

Players on way out: Torosidis, Tziolis, Tzavellas, Maniatis

Fringe players that may be in and out of squad: Oikonomou, Koutroubis, Bouchalakis, Anestsis, Vellios

Dark horses that may play a role: Siovas, Bakakis, Lamprou, Masouras, Limnios, Siopis, Kone, Fetfatzidis 

Torosidis spoke about whether if he is in the team or not he will always be there. A true Greek. 

I definitely agree about the important but replaceable core. I would add Barkas in the dark horses. But the thing is I would play all of those players in the team. Maybe not altogether but they would be in the team. 

I don't think Retsos is irreplaceable. His best position is centre back and we know how stacked we are there. 

I see Androutsos as a possible addition in the near future. His breakout season will hopefully be next season. 

I would like to know what would people do if Tziolis gets called up again? I know I would put my fist through the wall... Lol. 

All we know is that these players will get called up:

Karnezis, Paschalakis, Gianniotis, Galanopoulos and Limnios. 

So many names being thrown around but I think we should wait for newbies to at least have one good season as a starter before they make the 11ada.

androutsos barely starts for oly. pelka if paok keeps form is more deserving imo.

will be more conclusive by summer on who should get called up or not. 

let's hope that paok's deduction in points is not deciding factor on who wins the league and the true best team wins.

really need to consider 3 atb with sokratis, manolas, retsos/kpaps.

Bakakis and Staf as wing backs...

Mitro

Laz  ???  Donis

???        Zeca

Staf Sok Man Kpaps ???

Karnezis

I think the above is undeniable currently to start if starting. ??? pending on form. * marks who's most in form from the below imo.

at CAM = fortounis, pelkas*, mantalos

at CDM = Samaris, Tachtsi, Galanopoulos*, Kourbelis

at RB = Torosidis, Bakakis*, Koutris, Retsos

useful subs

fetfa

karelis

bakasetas (beast for AEK this season depth in LM/CAM/CF position... though seems dead weight for NT thus far)

tzavellas (gives depth for lb/cb position and steps it up for NT... sorry not sorry.)

Edited by georgelaz

I agree with your set up Laz but I don't know if Torosidis is done for sure. I'd like to see new additions there but i think Toro will be in the team the next 2 years. Maybe as a CDM. 

I know there probably there not ready yet but Lamprou and Masouras could add depth on the wings. I would do the world of confidence for them if they get called up. 

Pelkas for sure starts behind the striker, unless Skibbe wants to give Fortounis another chance. Also we should keep in mind that Manolas, Sokratis and Mitroglou will not get called up for these friendlies along with Torosidis maybe. 

My line up for the first game against Switzerland at Toumba:

Paschalaki

Bakaki  Kyriako(c) Retso

Lazaro Gala  Kourbe Stafy

Pelka

Doni.       Kareli

Tachtsidi, Giannioti, Fetfa (wishful thinking), Charisi, Risvani and Vasilakaki as subs. 

I understand where your coming from with the Tzavella comment but we should try others for these friendlies.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, AchillesHeel said:

Torosidis will be around for a while yet but who knows in what capacity....a key issue is to find adequate replacements for all positions during the friendlies and give a chance to some fresh faces in the positions that have disappointed. As we've seen previously you can't get away with playing guys out of position....it doesn't work at the international level.
Karnezis has been starting for Watford which is a positive sign but we have depth in that position with Paschalakis, Gianniotis, Tsitontas, etc.
Bakakis and maybe Kivrakidis should be looked at for the RB position. Lykogiannis and Tsimikas should be tried at LB as well as Stafylidis (he hasn't peformed well imo at LW/LM) who only recently returned to action. Pelkas and Vasilakakis should be tried centrally instead of Fortounis. Karelis is finding his form and will be a good option for the attack but Donis has had trouble cracking the starting 11 since his return from injury and should be maybe tested as CF or striker to see how he fares (he has played as secondary striker and CF for Stuttgart). Kourbelis and Galanopoulos also should be looked at in the DM position because I don't think Skibbe will call up both Tziols and Maniatis (hopefully neither) and neither should ever start again.
At CB we got alot of depth so KPaps, Retsos should start and maybe drop Kolovetsios and Koutroubis and call up some new faces....last campaign we had 7 CBs and only 1 RB so Skibbe needs to balance out the call ups according to position.
Lazaros, Gianniotas, Tachtsidis are in the mix as well and I'm sure there are more I left out....so Skibbe has his work cut out for him in and the trick will be balancing the team's performance with reevaluating players for the next campaign during the friendlies.

I agree 100%.

22 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I agree with your set up Laz but I don't know if Torosidis is done for sure. I'd like to see new additions there but i think Toro will be in the team the next 2 years. Maybe as a CDM. 

I know there probably there not ready yet but Lamprou and Masouras could add depth on the wings. I would do the world of confidence for them if they get called up. 

Pelkas for sure starts behind the striker, unless Skibbe wants to give Fortounis another chance. Also we should keep in mind that Manolas, Sokratis and Mitroglou will not get called up for these friendlies along with Torosidis maybe. 

My line up for the first game against Switzerland at Toumba:

Paschalaki

Bakaki  Kyriako(c) Retso

Lazaro Gala  Kourbe Stafy

Pelka

Doni.       Kareli

Tachtsidi, Giannioti, Fetfa (wishful thinking), Charisi, Risvani and Vasilakaki as subs. 

I understand where your coming from with the Tzavella comment but we should try others for these friendlies.

still cant understand why abroad greeks refuse to put a final s to the surnames.

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, Boxou said:

still cant understand why abroad greeks refuse to put a final s to the surnames.

I didn't put an S because I wanted to fit all the players in the formation. Aren't you from Canada Boxou?

Edited by Dean97

On 3/2/2018 at 5:02 PM, Alphonse said:

Irreplaceable Core: I add Christodoulopoulos in there for the next year or two. His form is just too hot.

Good rundown overall, but as much as I think Lazaros will play an important role, he is not irreplaceable. That is too strong a statement and he doesn`t belong in the same category as Sokratis and Manolas. 

On 3/3/2018 at 2:24 PM, georgelaz said:

So many names being thrown around but I think we should wait for newbies to at least have one good season as a starter before they make the 11ada.

androutsos barely starts for oly. pelka if paok keeps form is more deserving imo.

will be more conclusive by summer on who should get called up or not. 

let's hope that paok's deduction in points is not deciding factor on who wins the league and the true best team wins.

really need to consider 3 atb with sokratis, manolas, retsos/kpaps.

Bakakis and Staf as wing backs...

I think the above is undeniable currently to start if starting. ??? pending on form. * marks who's most in form from the below imo.

at CAM = fortounis, pelkas*, mantalos

at CDM = Samaris, Tachtsi, Galanopoulos*, Kourbelis

at RB = Torosidis, Bakakis*, Koutris, Retsos

useful subs

fetfa

karelis

bakasetas (beast for AEK this season depth in LM/CAM/CF position... though seems dead weight for NT thus far)

tzavellas (gives depth for lb/cb position and steps it up for NT... sorry not sorry.)

Some very good points in there. The writing is on the wall for us to play a 3-CB formation. We have one of the deepest pools of quality CBs in Europe and we have mobile wing backs. Our best players have to play in order for us to have the best shot at succeeding. 

Koutris is definitely an interesting name I left our in my initial assessment. 

Tzavellas, I agree, I don`t mind having him as a sub for the next campaign. When I placed him on players on their way out, I didn`t necessarily mean all of them right away. Torosidis and Tzavellas may still have a role to play for the next 2 years. 

I'm all for Pelkas to be given a shot over Fortounis, who seems lackadaisical with the NT. 

On 3/3/2018 at 1:01 AM, Dean97 said:

I definitely agree about the important but replaceable core. I would add Barkas in the dark horses. But the thing is I would play all of those players in the team. Maybe not altogether but they would be in the team. 

I don't think Retsos is irreplaceable. His best position is centre back and we know how stacked we are there. 

All we know is that these players will get called up:

Karnezis, Paschalakis, Gianniotis, Galanopoulos and Limnios. 

Paschalakis and Barkas, another couple of names I initially overlooked.

I have Retsos as irreplaceable more due to his talent and potential rather than his current role. What I mean is that he should be a shoe in callup every time and will likely end up playing a big role, even if it is as RB. 

On 3/2/2018 at 12:23 PM, Argy said:

My view of Greece leading up for the upcoming Nations League and Euro campaign:

Irreplaceable core: Sokratis (C), Manolas, Papadopoulos, Donis, Mitroglou, Retsos 

Important but replaceable core: Karnezis, Fortounis, Stafylidis, Zeca, Lazaros, Samaris, Mantalos, Tachtsidis

Players who can earn a place in core: Gianniotas, Bakasetas, Pelkas, Lykogiannis, Galanopoulos, Androutsos, Kourbelis, Kapino

Players on way out: Torosidis, Tziolis, Tzavellas, Maniatis

Fringe players that may be in and out of squad: Oikonomou, Koutroubis, Bouchalakis, Anestsis, Vellios

Dark horses that may play a role: Siovas, Bakakis, Lamprou, Masouras, Limnios, Siopis, Kone, Fetfatzidis 

Should have definitely added Mavropanos as a dark horse. He deserves to be somewhere on this list. Will probably not play because of our CB depth, but should be around the team seeing he and Retsos, at the moment, are in line to be our CBs of the future. 

here's my never will happen but a man can dream starting 11

Mitro

Laz        Donis       Fetfa

Tachtsi  Zeca

Holebas                           Bakakis

Sok Man 

Karnezis

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

3 hours ago, georgelaz said:

RW can also be fetfa, donis, pelkas

rumour has it that fetfa is gunna come back to greece

Fetfa and Donis are better on the left, I know Donis can use both feet though. Pelkas I would love to see centrally but he can also fill the space too. 

You know what guys, ill take all of these over Bakasetas, Zeca or other central players been played out on the wing with no pace or left foot

• Like it 1

9 hours ago, georgelaz said:

here's my never will happen but a man can dream starting 11

Mitro

Laz        Donis       Fetfa

Tachtsi  Zeca

Holebas                           Bakakis

Sok Man 

Karnezis

Solid line up! You can't get better than that. Maybe Pelkas in for Lazaros. It would make a huge difference with Holebas and Fetfatzidis in the team.

Edited by Dean97

23 hours ago, Alphonse said:

@Argy who do you think can replace Lazaros at right wing?

He is probably our best left wing, even though Stafylidis can probably do the job. He is still replaceable, since we don`t necessarily have to play a LW scheme, as we can play with a LM, and besides he is not that far ahead of the rest of that pack. Irreplaceable core is really guys that stand out and that other teams circle on the game sheet; a player whose team is automatically better when he steps on the field. I consider Laz an important player for this campaign, but fact remains that the ship wouldn`t sink without him. 

Hmmm, dunno how much you have seen of him this season at AEK but I can assure you he is circled out in our games and I really don’t rate Stafylidis in midfield, he is a great left back but IMO really not an effective left midfielder as he can’t do half the magic Lazaros can and in recent games for Greece we saw Staf offer virtually nothing in attack.

Of course this means little if Lazaros is sorrounded by flat players as we have seen, at AEK he is a machine as the team runs into space and creates a flow whereas the Ethniki is a flat team, many big name players would be left frustrated so we really need Skibbe to go with in form players who will help create a flow 

I don't think Stafylidis is that bad at LM/LW. The game against Belgium when he bombed forward with the long shot that hit the bar. His crosses are decent as well. So he is an attacking threat.

With Lazaros he has improved a lot the last few seasons. He still has this selfishness about him though. He can take on a player then do something stupid after it. But his shown a bit of that and not much lately. He is playing well because he is less selfish and on target. Unlike 3 or 4 years ago. 

To me the LM/LW position should go to Donis. After that it could be Pelkas. Lazaros should be on the right, then Fetfatzidis. 

10 hours ago, pash said:

I can assure you it's just him.

Many others have aswell. Greeks in Greece do that when they write their articles... 

I didn't know It was such a big thing to some people...

Eg. Kareli, Kourbeli, Pelka, Manola....:cool:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dean97 said:

I don't think Stafylidis is that bad at LM/LW. The game against Belgium when he bombed forward with the long shot that hit the bar. His crosses are decent as well. So he is an attacking threat.

I challenge you guys to show me Staf being an attacking threat in LM position going forward although he should not be needed there given the guys we have identified. 

Yes he does have a great shot but that can be done from LB in attack.

Lazaros is in form and experienced, and has grown into a well-rounded player, but I still think Donis is a more dangerous player and offers more to the Greek squad. Ideally they both play.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic