Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

That's not a bad line up Rockafeller. I don't think Siopis will make it in time for the friendlies as he is injured. Would like to see that line up. Maybe Kourbelis could start next to Galanopoulos. I'd also like to win these matches so I'd have Lazaros and Donis playing. Maybe Giakoumakis deserves a call up. But he has only played one good game. 

Limnios is the same age as Lamprou. I'd also like to see Mavropanos in the team but I don't see that as a possibility. Retsos and Donis are our future stars. So it's best they play the majority of these games. Kyriakopoulos for Asteras is also decent but Tsimikas is better. 

• Like it 1

8 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

I do not get all the fuss about some players of Atromitos /Asteras and I think your memory is not decent at all lads.

Superleague is overall weakened. That is obvious from the European results.

Teams like Atromitos and Panionios have obviously stepped up their game but the League is weakened.

Honestly apart from Siopis, Pelkas , Paschalakis and Lamprou/Masouras I find noone else who should even be looked into from the GSL currently to become a regural pick of the NT.

Limnios and Douvikas too young for now. The rest are already fully developed and past their peak. Many promising CB but honestly why bother? Sokratis Manolas Retsos Mavropanos Kyriakos will all be above them in preference.

Friendlies line up that I would love:

Paschalakis

Bakakis Hatzidiakos Mavropanos Tsimikas
Siopis Galanopoulos

Masouras Pelkas  Lamprou

Mitroglou/Karelis

AEK is looking good in europe though. Siopis isn't even starting for Oly though. Tachtsi has been a more key player.

But to see what these guys can do good point. Giakoumakis could be interesting but ya only 1 good game for AEK so far.

will be interesting how the superleague ends. olympiakos is always looming to get back on top. AEK and PAOKs dominance has always felt shaky to me.

PAOK and AEK also have tougher schedules with a bunch of derbys coming up.

Glad to see there are some reasonable people (Laz, J1078). Yes, ranking is very important in our situation. And the NT shouldnt be an U-23 developing center. The best available players should start. But the head coach should try newcomers. Thats why we need friendly games. Talents shouldnt make their debut during crucial games (cf. Lykogiannis, Kourbelis, Donis).

Siopis isnt ripe for the national team NOW. Same goes for Galanopoulos, Manthatis, Androutsos etc. Skibbe should call up Bakakis and Kone. And its a shame we couldnt utilize Maniatis properly. Possibly it was his last international campaign. He is smart and has a high work rate. He should have been employed as a defensive midfielder against Croatia (away) and on other occasions. I cant believe Skibbe benched him in favor of Tziolis. I dont know who could fill his role. He wasnt a very skilled player but could be very useful as a DM as he is considerably faster than Tziolis or Tachtsidis.

• Like it 3

Bakakis, Retsos, Kone and Fetfatzidis should be called up. Retsos got into the team of the week as well as Sokratis. I like Maniatis but his time is over. Sane goes for Tziolis. I also would like Tsimikas and Lykogiannis to battle it out for the left back spot. These games are a must win but we also need to give other deserving players chances. 

• Like it 1

karelis and mitroglou are locks for the cf position so i don't really care who's the third one. 

about the wings for me it's donis, lazaros and let's say to give a chance to fetfatzidis and lamprou in these friendlies. the only 2 that i can think at the moment that are above average back ups instead of mantalos who's basically not a winger and gianniotas who's a below average player. 

samaris, zeca, kourmpelis, galanopoulos, kone and tachtsidis in the midfield. i think it's solid one, far deeper that our latest editions with tziolis and maniatis running it.

sokratis, manolas, retsos and kyriakos cbs, locks as well. stafylidis, torosidis, lykogiannis and mpakakis for the wing backs. 

karnezis, paschalakis for the goalkeeper's position with the 3rd one being up for grabs. i'd give the advantage to tsintotas over anestis and kapino at the moment, the 2 latter look in some awful for tbh.

• Like it 3

That's sounds good Boxou. I also see Gianniotis getting a chance. What happened to Anestis? 

I agree about the midfield position. No more Tziolis and Maniatis. You forgot to mention the attacking midfield options. Fortounis, Pelkas and Mantalos should have it locked in with Bakasetas and maybe Chatzigiovanis battling it out for the last spot. But I'd definitely go with those three. I'd like to try Donis as the number 10 but we are very limited on the wings. Lamprou should definitely be given a chance but I don't know about Masouras yet. 

To me Tsimikas and Barkas are future call ups in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

Not that there’s much to this but Bakasetas had a very good game today so did Lazaros.  Both players were subbed off for reasons unknown. But they both played very well

they both been solid all season. bakakis too besides getting muscled off easily twice he also saved AEKS ass multiple times.

• Like it 1

On 23/02/2018 at 12:50 PM, georgelaz said:

mayhaps

mitroglou

Laz pelkas Donis

galanopoulos zeca

Staf Sokratis Manolas Retsos

Karenezis

This could actually happen. Maybe we try Kourbelis in for Zeca and see what he has to offer. Bakakis and Kivrakidis should be tried at right back in order to see who can replace Torosidis. Retsos could be good at right back but I'd rather have pure right back play. I so really like to see Donis used as a second striker or attacking midfield. We know what he can do on the wing. I also think he is our go to guy for the left wing position.

We need wingers though as second strikers we have our CAM's fortounis, pelkas, mantalos and perhaps kone

Donis I think will get muscled off too easily centrally but with his speed and cutting passes will be a powerful weapon on the wings.

I'm not sure if anyone in mid table pao should be considered at this point. Gala is playing at a higher level with AEK and is younger too.

Edited by georgelaz

I know what your saying but we haven't had an effective attacking midfielder since Karagounis. Also Donis knows how to carry the ball. I believe he could do well there just like on the wing. Pelkas has better crosses so he would be effective bringing the ball in from the wing. Lazaros has some pace on him still. Fortounis hasn't been playing well lately and I'm tired of waiting for him to show up. 

• Like it 1

I see no reason why Lazaros should be anywhere close in the NT. The next big tournament is in 2020 with him being 33 then. No point to bring someone in who will end up possibly creating a huge gap once he retires.

Our attacking mids/wingers should be noone else ther than Pelkas Fortounis Donis Mantalos for now, Lazaros Lamprou Masouras and Limnios are the only greek wingers who are getting a decent amount of playtime.
Everyone has been talking about Pelkas statistics . 9 goals and 9 assits in 29 matches and 1,800 minutes of playtime. 

But Lamprou with 8 goals and 5 assists in 31 matches/2100 minutes with a much weaker team probably ain't nothing either.

Limnios is having a poor season but the fact that paok decided to keep him and he has been a regular sub I have huge hopes for him coz I ve seen him play last season.

Masouras is already 24 he has never been a statistics beast but he s been having some crucial goals.

Overal honestly if none of these guys (Lamprou, Limnios, Masouras) make the big stepup. We ll be looking at false hopes.

• Like it 1

Lazaros should and will be around because that's a non brainer given our limited pool in his position. What's the problem if he's 30 yo if his replacements are Spanish second league benchwarmers and Greek league busts? 

6 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

I see no reason why Lazaros should be anywhere close in the NT. The next big tournament is in 2020 with him being 33 then. No point to bring someone in who will end up possibly creating a huge gap once he retires.

^ key point to take away from this. I like our little construction worker, but playing people with no consideration of succession is part of what got us into this mess.

3 hours ago, Boxou said:

Lazaros should and will be around because that's a non brainer given our limited pool in his position. What's the problem if he's 30 yo if his replacements are Spanish second league benchwarmers and Greek league busts? 

His replacements I mentioned from the Greek League are having bigger impact in their respective team's gameplay. Lazaros really barely scores.

We are lucky to have a player like Lazaros around. He is a winger first of all, which we lack. He is also taller than most of our wing options which is beneficial. He has got experience also. Players like Lamprou, Masouras and Limnios have talent but they need to step up when given the chance. 

My view of Greece leading up for the upcoming Nations League and Euro campaign:

Irreplaceable core: Sokratis (C), Manolas, Papadopoulos, Donis, Mitroglou, Retsos 

Important but replaceable core: Karnezis, Fortounis, Stafylidis, Zeca, Lazaros, Samaris, Mantalos, Tachtsidis

Players who can earn a place in core: Gianniotas, Bakasetas, Pelkas, Lykogiannis, Galanopoulos, Androutsos, Kourbelis, Kapino

Players on way out: Torosidis, Tziolis, Tzavellas, Maniatis

Fringe players that may be in and out of squad: Oikonomou, Koutroubis, Bouchalakis, Anestsis, Vellios

Dark horses that may play a role: Siovas, Bakakis, Lamprou, Masouras, Limnios, Siopis, Kone, Fetfatzidis 

• Like it 3

Well put Argy, I agree with most of that actually my only edits to you are these

Irreplaceable Core: I add Christodoulopoulos in there for the next year or two. His form is just too hot.

I have mixed feelings about Tachtsidis... I like him as a player but I dunno if his lack of mobility helps as much as his great passing... 

I really think Pelkas is prime to replace Fortounis, he really needs to be given a shot.

I would love to see Galanopoulos, Lykogiannis, Kourbelis and Androutsos given a go, but a decent shot, not 10 mins.

Players out: I 110% agree.

Love the Dark horses list, I think Bakakis should replace Torosidis pretty soon and should get a shot in the friendlies coming. Dont mind Masouras. Would love to see Limnios and Fetfa back in, Greece can play with some good wingers, it would transform our game.

• Like it 2

pelkas looked way hungrier than fortounis when he fanned that shot vs. croatia and all season. Fortou and Tachtsi have a decent chem at Oly though.

Mitro

Laz Pelinkho/Fortou Donis

Tachtsi/Gala Zeca

Staf Sok Mano Bakakis/Retsos

Karnezis/Pasxalakis

so many question marks because it's pending on form. The line up is becoming more and more clear though.

bakasetas, fetfa, karelis, kourbelis, retsos, kpaps though too.  mantalos when he returns from injury

so many possible scenarios so we should ideally play on who's the best and in form from this

Edited by georgelaz

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic