Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

greek superleague top goal scorerers.. not a single greek snap lol.

http://www.superleaguegreece.net/en/stats/topplayers

the problem is the best greek strikers get bought out by big clubs and then are left to rot on the bench. eg) giakoumakis at AEK.

giakoumakis mystiakidis could be okay

bakasetas, lazaros, kone, donis can play cf as well but not their optimal positions.

vellios and diamantakos are okay and are realistically are 3rd and 4th best if they were actually in form.

we gotta hope to god mitro and karelis can be in form for next campaign. luckily we have a lot of time before competitive play.

• Like it 1

Can you imagine Lazaros dribbling towards the defence and Donis making a run through the wing. Talking about creating chances, with Fortounis in the mix we could look dangerous in attack. All we need is for Mitroglou to perform and the midfielders to do their job.

• Like it 2

Mitroglou seems to be a constant bench warmer now. He played 1 minute against Monaco. He had remained on the bench on the former four occasions. Should he perhaps return to Benfica?

I write this here, because if he gets no game time that will affect our performance as well (he cannot perform or our efficiency fades if he is benched in the NT too). What is worse: an Ethniki with a Mitroglou who doesnt get proper game time or an Ethniki without Mitroglou (and, perhaps, with Karelis/Vellios/Diamantakos)?

I wanted to add that I like your enthusiasm but Lazaros, Donis, Mantalos and the likes cannot lead us back to the level of the 2004-2014 period. Lazaros couldnt dribble even against Gibraltar. Gianniotas did more in 15 minutes than he in 75 minutes. Donis seems to be nothing special, a talented youth. Mantalos is an average CAM at international level. I guess some of you wont agree but consider this. Lazaros was not much of a threat against Gibraltar (4-0). Donis was arguably more successful as a backup player of Nice than he has been in this season as a starter of Stuttgart. Mantalos plays out of position because Fortounis is better than him as a CAM.

Either we pray for the appearance of more young players of a very high quality like Retsos or we try to find an excellent coach again (like Rehhagel and Santos) who has experience and tactical astuteness. Skibbe tries to imitate Rehhagel and wants to copy his blueprint but cannot find the adequate players. Compare his five defenders + 2 defensive midfielders versus Croatia in the first match and the five-men line of Rehhagel versus Ukraine. Clearly he tried to copy Rehhagel's tactics but used the wrong guys/used them in the wrong places, some faults Rehhagel surely wouldnt have committed. And where was the fighting spirit of Ottos team? (In the Ukraine away game we won after a Homeric struggle - think of the injuries of Moras and Pliatsikas, we had only nine wholly healthy players on the pitch at the end yet they persevered!) I thought at first Skibbe is the very thing we needed but now I am not sure of that.

• Like it 1

@La MendelYou seem to forget that Donis is still young and at 21 he has done more than Fortounis and Mantalos when they were his age. Also thank you for stating that Gianniotas did more in 15 minutes than Lazaros' 75 minutes. But when you say Donis was better as a backup at Nice than he is as a starter at Stuttgart is completely debatable. As I believe he is playing better this season. He hasn't scored the amount of goals needed to be classed as a solid player but his overall play is much better than Fortounis or Mantalos. 

I agree that we didn't have fighting spirit in the first match against Croatia as I believe that was the main reason why we lost. Skibbe should of not played Stafylidis, Samaris and Karnezis. 

Skibbe is apparently keeping an eye on Galanopoulos and Limnios. They could be in the roster for the friendly matches. Also said that Kone could make his return in the team. 

Edited by Dean97

can we call this dude up or is it too late?  he's half greek. obvious by his name lol.

we really need wingers and he's a really good one. faster than any of our players.

Edited by georgelaz

4 hours ago, georgelaz said:

can we call this dude up or is it too late?  he's half greek. obvious by his name lol.

we really need wingers and he's a really good one. faster than any of our players.

The commentator rule will prevent this because if we play Lazaros on one side and Lazaro on the other, the comentators will get confused all the match. At least they are not twins.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

oof ya Manthatis is way faster an is more likely to be called up. Lazaro is highly entrenched in the Austrian world. Mind you He can play both left and right.

which lamprou?

I haven't seen Manthatis play but Lazaro has Donis like potential.

Edited by georgelaz

If a player officially qualifies for Greece, then, he is Greek. remember, Socceroos 36 in the World, Greece 44 or something. Lets address this issue positively, and like them, make the World Cup. Greece should of qualifed  for the Euroes.

Explore all the talent pool. I heard Messi wanted to play for Greece b4 he took option 2. 

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

Why dont we just call up the majority of the u21s and some from the u19s lol. Talk about a complete overhaul. But seriously we need to play our best possible players that are actually playing. Mitroglou hasn't played much as well as Stafylidis. Even though they are our best players in there position we need to be playing the best players who are next in line who are playing. Eg. Stafylidis for Lykogiannis and Donis for Mitroglou. That's how I'll do it. Unless there is a big margin between our players which in our case there isn't. 

Giakoumakis with the game winner for AEK vs. Olympiakos 90th minute coming on as a sub for Kone at 72.

Also tried to hit a scissor kick on a cross that lead to AEKs first goal. Gunna still be tough for him to get a lot of playing time as AEK is blessed at the striker position with LIvaja and Araujo

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic