Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Pelkas is having the best season of his life, but he's still far from the complete player.  Can he mark ?  Not really.  Can he run a game ?  Not really.  At least not at high level.  If anyone thinks he could've run the midfield against Croatia they are kidding themselves.

Having said that he should definitely be a part of our next campaign and needs to start getting some game time.  He's at least ready for that step and anything more than that only time will tell.

Look at how Sweden played today. They just beat Italy 1-0. Their team on paper is not better than ours, but they start the right players, play a great system and with confidence. You can see they truly believe they belong on the pitch with Italy, unlike Greece who fielded an XI full of defenders slotted in every position. We came into the match with belief, but only if we completely park the bus. This is why we are are so fragile and nervous, because our whole mindset revolves around being the little engine that could. The moment we get over this, is the moment we will take a big step forward. 

Edited by Argy

our best possible lineup is imo 1 5-1-3-1

Mitro

Fetfa/Laz     Fort/Mant  Donis

Zeca

Holebas                               Torosidis

Sokratis Kpaps Manolas

Karnezis

from that lineup we're missing 4 of the 11. With a nation as top heavy as us you can't afford to be leaving out 35% of the best players.

i think we can play balla if we field the RIGHT players. skibbe had a defeatist attitude going into zagreb. remember how our midfield hummed for the first time ever when we fielded pelka/mantalos/kone/fortounis/tachtsi?

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 2

Who I play Sunday..and yes I believe there are plent of goals in the Croat backline Mitro missed 2 headers and got one shot fingertipped Sokratis should have dne better with his 2nd header whol net was there for him..WE CAN DO IT

................Anestis (KARNEZIS 7 goals in his last 120minuts Watford Greece)....

...................Retsos.....Sokratis.......Manolas.........

Toro...............Zeca..............Tachtsidis................Lykogiannis

...............................Pelkas......................Fortounis..............

.......................................Mitroglou.............................

Anestis is a must start in any sport with a goalie..the team must have full confidence..WE cant ask our players to open it up with the way Karnezis is playing and for some reason a fresh golaie always gets a team to work twice as hard!!

We need goals Stafylidis or Tzavellas offer zero going forward put WolfJohn in he is in form and more the modern back than Tzavellas I love stafylidis but he ha ZERO confidence. He showed it last game on the 1st goal he got the ball on a switch of play and was 1v1 with there RB rather than take him on and creata chance or get fouled he bottled it back to Tzziolis to the back breaking goal Donis Giannotas Lazaros Lyko would have bombed forward, Pelkas Fortounis give us 2 #10 style players who can create. If Skibbe doesnt make major changes Sunday and goes wit the same clowns then we know EPO call some shots.

• Like it 3

Donis - Karelis - Lamprou

Siopis - Galanopoulos  - Kourbelis

Lykogiannis - Retsos - Risvanis - Bakakis

Gianniotis

Id like to see a friendly with new faces. To know whom we can trust and whom we can not. It's a defensive 4-3-3 with 3 holding mids and the wingers playing a bit down to start the offence.

I won't rehash most of the names here, and I don't have much input on players who don't have connections to the only team I care about (PAOK). But as far as those are concerned:

Charisis will, in a few years, be an obvious call up. Kid has a ton of talent but was not trusted by his last two coaches at PAOK (for whatever reason) - he's been getting plenty of time at his current club, however, and I expect them to activate their buy out option (1.5mm) next summer.

Kitsiou is playing there as well, but not quite as consistently as Charisis. As Torosidis declines, he'll have a chance to make his case. At this point I don't think he's good enough; he might end up a backup option at some point. Decent as a winger as well. Needs to work on his crosses.

Tzavellas - rapidly declining, creates a rotten atmosphere in the locker room, now is our chance to make a clean break with him let Stafylidis battle it out with whoever else can play in that position.

Limnios, Lamprou - good players, needs to be seen if they're able to continue at this level for a whole season. Their numbers aren't amazing but I like them both. Wouldn't be surprised to see them get their first call ups in the next two years.

Pelkas - versatile guy, plays with real balls. Not the kind of ACM who will conduct the offense like a symphony (his passing is just not good enough). However, to counter that, he is very direct - might end up more like a SS than an ACM (and is probably why he's playing as a winger these days).

Mistakidis - I believe he is better than Pelkas, will shortly be returning from a torn MCL. If all goes well, he'll make a solid case for inclusion in future teams. Very good as a second striker, usually plays as RW, is comfortable as LW.

Tziolis - hasn't been able to play at this level for at least four years. Kick him to the curb. Seems like a nice guy, but that doesn't count for much when he can't make a pass, press an opponent, or shoot.

Sokratis/Kpaps/Manolas - good competition between the three of them, no concerns here. As for Chatziisaias, I liked the guy but even if he improves massively, there will be a very narrow window between Sokratis/Kpaps declining and the next generation of CBs taking their place. Very unlikely that he'll ever get a cap, in my opinion. Will probably end up like Katsikas, as a journeyman in second-rate leagues who settles down in Ukraine/Romania.

• Like it 2

That is a good analysis pash. I don't see much of Charisis. I only saw him in highlights last season. Can anyone tell me why he has been playing on the wing? when clearly he hasn't got enough speed. 

Kitsiou looked decent in the last match he played against Hungary. That was 2015. Someone has to tell me if he has improved or declined since then. 

Pelkas is a player I have high hopes for. Technically very good, just like Ninis and Fetfatzidis but pash is probably right saying his passes need work. I also think his shooting/finishing need work. 

The likes of Mystakidis, Limnios, Lamprou and Manthatis have talent and can play on the wings. They need more game time to improve and progress. 

The thing is I hate it how we play players that turn 25-26 instead of playing them from 21-22. Old players need to leave ed and never come back. Torosidis and Karnezis are exceptions. I don't know if players like Bouchalakis and Lykogiannis are good enough at international level. It's worth trying to in friendlies. Pelkas looks like he is. Gianniotas aswell. 

Toro         Manolas      soks      Retsos 

Zeca       tach

Laz                                                staf 

Fortou

Mitro

This line up would have made for easy adjustments in either direction off/def as well. Staf could drop back into lb and Retsos dm or off for a true winger. Tach could come off for pelkas and let Zeca and the cbs handle the back. Man, even with his stupid call ups, we still had options and potential. So aggravating. 

57 minutes ago, nick said:

Greeece will never do this but they need to limit the number of foreign players that play in Greece. Clubs should hire Greek coaches who want to develop Greek players.  

I agree. I think Ouzounidis is a coach that wants to develop young Greek players. Just like Chatzigiovannis. He is not there yet it he has some sort of talent that can be taken to the next step. 

I though Vlachodimos the winger was going to be a big player, but look how life turns out. Same can be said for Tatos, Ninis and Fetfatzidis.

• Like it 1

euro 2020 lineup should be

Mitro

Fetfa  Fortounis   Donis

Tachtsi Zeca

Staf  Manolas Sokratis Retsos

Karnezis

1. fetfa is still only gunna be 27 and his contract with the arabs will be done and hopefully he can go play in europe

2. fortounis is our best CAM, I don't agree with the flak he's been getting and he's only 24. Mantalos is also quite good in this position if anything slot Fortounis to left were he can play good and Mantalos as CAM cuz mantalos sucks on the wing. Reminds me when people gave up on Mitro... this might be even worse. Let's not forget the kid almost single handedly decimated arsenal a year or two ago.

3. Retsos as RB will be solid and Donis up to will more than make up for his lack of attacking ability. So it's almost like we have 3 atb + a wing back in Staf. Toro will likely want to get 100 caps and if he's still good enough (right now I say he is all for it)

good thing for skibbe is he benched tzav for once but Tziolis has gotta go man or at least just reserves.

Edited by georgelaz

I don’t rate fortounis at all.. I would rather see karelis up with mitroglou. Fortounis isn’t skilled enough to float around the field. We really need Samaris to move on and nail down a starting role. That would allow Samaris and Zeca to be the starting cm. We could even have karelis as the LW and move donis to the #10 role. 

• Like it 1

38 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

euro 2020 lineup should be

Mitro

Fetfa  Fortounis   Donis

Tachtsi Zeca

Staf  Manolas Sokratis Retsos

Karnezis

1. fetfa is still only gunna be 27 and his contract with the arabs will be done and hopefully he can go play in europe

2. fortounis is our best CAM, I don't agree with the flak he's been getting and he's only 24. Mantalos is also quite good in this position if anything slot Fortounis to left were he can play good and Mantalos as CAM cuz mantalos sucks on the wing. Reminds me when people gave up on Mitro... this might be even worse. Let's not forget the kid almost single handedly decimated arsenal a year or two ago.

3. Retsos as RB will be solid and Donis up to will more than make up for his lack of attacking ability. So it's almost like we have 3 atb + a wing back in Staf. Toro will likely want to get 100 caps and if he's still good enough (right now I say he is all for it)

good thing for skibbe is he benched tzav for once but Tziolis has gotta go man or at least just reserves.

Although that's a decent line up. Retsos is not good at fullback. Id rather have two fullbacks that like to attack and pressure the opponents defence. This gives us the attacking edge. I would have 2 strikers upfront. Mitroglou and Karelis/Donis. 

On 11/11/2017 at 3:52 AM, georgelaz said:

our best possible lineup is imo 1 5-1-3-1

Mitro

Fetfa/Laz     Fort/Mant  Donis

Zeca

Holebas                               Torosidis

Sokratis Kpaps Manolas

Karnezis

from that lineup we're missing 4 of the 11. With a nation as top heavy as us you can't afford to be leaving out 35% of the best players.

i think we can play balla if we field the RIGHT players. skibbe had a defeatist attitude going into zagreb. remember how our midfield hummed for the first time ever when we fielded pelka/mantalos/kone/fortounis/tachtsi?

you simply can't play ONE man in the midfield. it's doomed to fail by any means. 

i appreciate skibbe's scouting in players and meetings with the greek clubs but he's totally clueless if he keeps calling up the scrubs vellios and diamantakos (bear in mind i have nothing against them, simply shouldn't be nowhere around) as well as tzavellas, tziolis and maniatis while ignoring mpakakis, siovas and cholebas. that's simply inexcusable. 

also i have to say i was not pleased by the way we played in 11 out of 12 games in this campaign, aside of belgium at home. no creativity around, simply defenders all around the pitch to make sure we won't concede!! stafylidis starting as a winger, papadopoulos as a midfielders, maniatis as a right back, mantalos as a winger and many more. i don't remember any goals coming off the actual play, most of them from set pieces basically. 

squad and starting eleven i recommend in the next friendly games; 

karnezis, torosidis, sokratis, papadopoulos, manolas, stafylidis, kourmpelis, zeca, fortounis, donis, mitroglou (3-4-1-2)

bench, kapino, vlachodimos, mpakakis, siovas, lykogiannis, retsos, samaris, tachtsidis, pelkas, karelis, lazaros, mpakasetas

mpakasetas out once mantalos comes backk off injury. no more srcubs around. 

7 hours ago, Boxou said:

you simply can't play ONE man in the midfield. it's doomed to fail by any means. 

i appreciate skibbe's scouting in players and meetings with the greek clubs but he's totally clueless if he keeps calling up the scrubs vellios and diamantakos (bear in mind i have nothing against them, simply shouldn't be nowhere around) as well as tzavellas, tziolis and maniatis while ignoring mpakakis, siovas and cholebas. that's simply inexcusable. 

also i have to say i was not pleased by the way we played in 11 out of 12 games in this campaign, aside of belgium at home. no creativity around, simply defenders all around the pitch to make sure we won't concede!! stafylidis starting as a winger, papadopoulos as a midfielders, maniatis as a right back, mantalos as a winger and many more. i don't remember any goals coming off the actual play, most of them from set pieces basically. 

squad and starting eleven i recommend in the next friendly games; 

karnezis, torosidis, sokratis, papadopoulos, manolas, stafylidis, kourmpelis, zeca, fortounis, donis, mitroglou (3-4-1-2)

bench, kapino, vlachodimos, mpakakis, siovas, lykogiannis, retsos, samaris, tachtsidis, pelkas, karelis, lazaros, mpakasetas

mpakasetas out once mantalos comes backk off injury. no more srcubs around. 

I have a feeling that Retsos will overtake Papadopoulos in the CB pecking order by the time the NL comes around next year. I don't know how I feel about that, but I really like both players. I think we should play to our strength though and try out 3 CBs in the upcoming friendlies. 

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic