Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

We have such a potent offence where we can afford to not have a look at guys with some skill.. That's ridiculous give the guy a look what harm can it do. I don't know why people are calling the kid fat he's not.. I'd love to eventually see Kone on this team if he starts playing regularly.  Anyways no point in mentioning these guys for now as we have to figure out our best possible line up for the Croatia game and we know Skibbe is not going to try new faces in these two games and he's going to go with his trusted line up that he feels most comfortable with.

Edited by J1078

7 hours ago, Boxou said:

first of all why do you think i want tziolis getting called up? i have bashed him and skibbe for that reason many times. 

and please STOP with fetfatzidis obsession. he's like 25 YEARS OLD and there's no SANE CLUB which would like to sign him. HENCE HE'S PLAYING IN SAUDI ARABIA. at least tziolis played football in paok and a good panathinaikos team and reached 32 before going there. 

regarding the 'best talent to come out of greece' argument about fetfatzidis i'll just try to insist and not laugh.

ps kone would be a great addition to this team but the dude missed the whole offseason and has no games with aek even in the cup.pity. 

what is kone doing with himself? havent seen him play for a while. He would be a great addition to the squad, he allways plays well for the NT

51 minutes ago, J1078 said:

We have such a potent offence where we can afford to not have a look at guys with some skill.. That's ridiculous give the guy a look what harm can it do. for guys that keep calling this kid fat go have your eyes checked.. Plus id love to eventually see Kone on this team if he starts playing regularly.  

i wouldnt call out attack "potent". I do think if Fetfa and Kone can make the cut, we would look soo much better up front and it would give us more options as well. For example.

Fetfa - Fourtounis - Stafl

Mitro

and

Mantalos  - Fourtounis - Kone

Mitro

2 hours ago, MelbourneGreek said:

i wouldnt call out attack "potent". I do think if Fetfa and Kone can make the cut, we would look soo much better up front and it would give us more options as well. For example.

Fetfa - Fourtounis - Stafl

Mitro

and

Mantalos  - Fourtounis - Kone

Mitro

I was being sarcastic when I said we have a potent offence.. I'm saying we have a hard time creating so why not bring in some guys that are in form and can score to come off the bench..I'm for giving the guy a look but I'm also sick of talking about it because Skibbe won't give him a chance. Kone last I heard signed with AEK but not sure if he's playing regularly..

Edited by J1078

I too believe Fetfa should be at least a bench option for Skibbe. He is a gifted offensive player and it can't hurt to have him on the bench if we need a goal. He should be playing his football in Europe, if he was I'm sure he would get the call up.

Skibbe wants a defensive wingers who track back all the time. I don't understand how hard is it to tell a player to track back. Who cares if they don't like it. If they don't like it they can stay on the bench. Tell Fetfatzidis to track back simple. If he doesn't do it take him off. His attacking style is definitely needed, also he is a winger. 

9 hours ago, Kama7 said:

Boxou, 

It is only an obsession because Fetfa's exclusion from the club is illogical and borderline criminal. His offensive skill cannot be denied , all one has to do is look at his highlights with olympiakos ( greek league, cup and uefa competitions ie cl campaign with valverde to round of 16) , Genoa and his current team in Saudi Arabia where he is considered to be one the best in the whole league. Not to mention in 2014 world cup prep phase, where he was deemed the most dangerous player in all 3 matches by a long shot!!!!  And you emphasize 25 years old as if he is too old to compete which is absolutely ridiculous.  Reason as to why he joined a saudi arabian team is strictly financial .... he is one of the best paid players (with added perks) in the league and im willing to bet there are no tax implications in that corner of the world...... Greece definitely needs the services of such a player with a skill set that can break a game open with his ball control and vision. I wont even touch on ur comments about tziolis on a good panathinaikos and paok squad..... its simply laughable!!! 

Thank you my friend. I couldn't have said it better.

• Like it 1

57 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

Skibbe wants a defensive wingers who track back all the time. I don't understand how hard is it to tell a player to track back. Who cares if they don't like it. If they don't like it they can stay on the bench. Tell Fetfatzidis to track back simple. If he doesn't do it take him off. His attacking style is definitely needed, also he is a winger. 

What do you think the knock on Fetfa has been all these years? He has been through 3 clubs, and countless coaches and could never really nail down a starting XI spot. There is a reason, when fetfa has no responsibility and you just tell him to play he looks great. But football at the top level is much more than just go out and express yourself. Football is littered with talented players that couldn't cut it because they didn't abide by team rules and had their own ideas as to how they should play. 

In saying that does he have a place in the squad and playing 15 mins when we need a goal? Maybe, but i think the fact he went to the middle east at such a young age speaks volume of the type of person he is and what is important to him. 

If Fetta is now fat and does not want to track back and does not want to play to a gameplan then, there is nothing to contemplate. stay with Mantalos if we must, or Skippe should give  Manthatis, Pelkas, Lazaro Lamprou a run, or why not Giannot-a? Lots of speed there.

It should also be Karelis (soon) or Bakasetas as back up for Mitro centrally, not both. They do not make good wingers at this level.

Edited by ausgreek

These particular fellas have done great in the '21s Boxa, now its time to blood afew in the Pirates. They will succeed. To think they won't is like ordering a vegetarian yeeros or a KFC meal with orange juice to keep it balanced and healthy.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, J1078 said:

I was being sarcastic when I said we have a potent offence.. I'm saying we have a hard time creating so why not bring in some guys that are in form and can score to come off the bench..I'm for giving the guy a look but I'm also sick of talking about it because Skibbe won't give him a chance. Kone last I heard signed with AEK but not sure if he's playing regularly..

Makes sense now. Much harder to detect sarcasm on a forum ahaha.

In terms of Kone, Fetfa etc, I would also like to see more of donis and ganiotas coming off the bench, these boys have talent. But, the experience that Kone and Fetfa have is second to none, Fetfa is constantly one of the better players in the Saudi League, if Skibbe is playing Tzolis, why not Fetfa?

• Like it 1

I agree. 

1 hour ago, MelbourneGreek said:

Makes sense now. Much harder to detect sarcasm on a forum ahaha.

In terms of Kone, Fetfa etc, I would also like to see more of donis and ganiotas coming off the bench, these boys have talent. But, the experience that Kone and Fetfa have is second to none, Fetfa is constantly one of the better players in the Saudi League, if Skibbe is playing Tzolis, why not Fetfa?

Mitroglou

Fetfa   Fortounis Donis

Tachtsi Zeca

would be nice up top.

Whatever, Staf up top and Tzav in the back is basically as good.

we'll see what kone can do at AEK. if he can get form he'll be useful but it will tough for him cause he's a quasi cf/cam. Fortounis and Karelis are both younger and better than him at the moment. Kone circa 2014 though was BEAST.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

1 hour ago, georgelaz said:

Mitroglou

Fetfa   Fortounis Donis

Tachtsi Zeca

would be nice up top.

Whatever, Staf up top and Tzav in the back is basically as good.

we'll see what kone can do at AEK. if he can get form he'll be useful but it will tough for him cause he's a quasi cf/cam. Fortounis and Karelis are both younger and better than him at the moment. Kone circa 2014 though was BEAST.

Kone played EXCELLENT in the 2014 World Cup. He helped allot in us getting out of the group stages. 

If he gets his form back, he will be a sure starter 

The biggest disappointment is Ninis. Then Fetfatzidis. Ninis had everything on his side. Talent, youth, the media and the country behind him. Its very unfortunate that his career has led to what it's led. Same can be said for other players like Tatos, Vlachodimos and Koutsianikoulis. Now we turn to the likes of Lampou, Manthatis, Limnios and Androutsos. 

• Like it 1

i'll write it here, if we fall to croatia and epo decides to terminate skibbe's contract my candidate to get the job would be ouzounidis. by far my favourite coach, he does wonders in panathinaikos when there's noone behind him to provide any support. i'd like to watch him in the nt in the near future, but i think he wants to work on a daily basis.

If Ouzonidis will be NT coach, we can as well shoot ourselves in the head. I hope we can qualify and Skibbe remains.

Donis' injury seems to be serious. Transfermarkt says he wont be available until the end of this year. President of Stuttgart says they wanna sign new attackers because of lots of injured and out of form players.

More problems: our players dont seem to get game time on this last occasion before play-off games.

Bundesliga: Stafylidis is still injured (another problem, did you know anyway?), Retsos was subbed after first half and 0-1, Sokratis played 90 minutes (they lost 2-4 to Hannover), K. Papadopoulos too (Hamburg lost to Hertha, 1-2, he gave an assist, however).

Serie A: Torosidis still injured, at least Oikonomou (SPAL) played 64 minutes (with the lot of injured players, perhaps he will get a call-up), Manolas will be probably available against Croatia (did not play now).

Premiership: Karnezis was on the bench as Watford lost to Stoke.

"Super" League and other championships: Fortounis played 90 minutes as Olympiacos lost to Panathinaikos (0-1), Kourbelis was captain of Pana as usual, Mantalos & Bakasetas will play tomorrow (if they will) for AEK. Tachtsidis was benched vs Pana (he played only 2 games in Greek league), same goes for Kapino and Samaris (Benfica). Zeca's Koebenhavn did not play yet. Tziolis was a starter again (90 minutes, they lost to a weak Saudi club and could be last after this matchday). Tzavellas played a full match but Maniatis wasnt in the squad (Alanyaspor). Karelis played after a year or so again for Genk (0-0 vs Kortrijk). Almost the whole Belgian press mention the return of Karelis and says he could have been a hero but unfortunately he missed a penalty. Fun fact: Avraam played for Brisbane Roar and scored his first goal in the season as they got a draw vs Wellington Phoenix (after 20 minutes they were down to 0-3, end result 3-3) but he wont be called up (he shouldnt).

On Saturday, Sokratis, Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Retsos, Fortounis and Tzavellas were in the starting XI of their respective teams. Samaris, Tachtsidis, Kapino, Karnezis did not play too much this year, and now even Maniatis is struggling. At least Karelis returned and could get a call, I hope he will. I think we can manage it, but it will be tough.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, La Mendel said:

If Ouzonidis will be NT coach, we can as well shoot ourselves in the head. I hope we can qualify and Skibbe remains.

Donis' injury seems to be serious. Transfermarkt says he wont be available until the end of this year. President of Stuttgart says they wanna sign new attackers because of lots of injured and out of form players.

More problems: our players dont seem to get game time on this last occasion before play-off games.

Bundesliga: Stafylidis is still injured (another problem, did you know anyway?), Retsos was subbed after first half and 0-1, Sokratis played 90 minutes (they lost 2-4 to Hannover), K. Papadopoulos too (Hamburg lost to Hertha, 1-2, he gave an assist, however).

Serie A: Torosidis still injured, at least Oikonomou (SPAL) played 64 minutes (with the lot of injured players, perhaps he will get a call-up), Manolas will be probably available against Croatia (did not play now).

Premiership: Karnezis was on the bench as Watford lost to Stoke.

"Super" League and other championships: Fortounis played 90 minutes as Olympiacos lost to Panathinaikos (0-1), Kourbelis was captain of Pana as usual, Mantalos & Bakasetas will play tomorrow (if they will) for AEK. Tachtsidis was benched vs Pana (he played only 2 games in Greek league), same goes for Kapino and Samaris (Benfica). Zeca's Koebenhavn did not play yet. Tziolis was a starter again (90 minutes, they lost to a weak Saudi club and could be last after this matchday). Tzavellas played a full match but Maniatis wasnt in the squad (Alanyaspor). Karelis played after a year or so again for Genk (0-0 vs Kortrijk). Almost the whole Belgian press mention the return of Karelis and says he could have been a hero but unfortunately he missed a penalty. Fun fact: Avraam played for Brisbane Roar and scored his first goal in the season as they got a draw vs Wellington Phoenix (after 20 minutes they were down to 0-3, end result 3-3) but he wont be called up (he shouldnt).

On Saturday, Sokratis, Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Retsos, Fortounis and Tzavellas were in the starting XI of their respective teams. Samaris, Tachtsidis, Kapino, Karnezis did not play too much this year, and now even Maniatis is struggling. At least Karelis returned and could get a call, I hope he will. I think we can manage it, but it will be tough.

Welcome back  La, where have you been? One of my role models on the 'Phantis!" No-one is ever too old to play in the ethniki, I agree re maik!

Hello ausgreek (and everybody),

I didnt want to post but I kept reading. You all gave a great support for the national team last year but I can understand that, Skibbe got us back to the right road with his defensive tactics and "closed club" method (I bet Rehhagel endorsed this idea).

Of course one always supports NT even if they are not on the right road (see Euro 2018 qualification). (I now see one of my sentences in my former post seems to imply that.)

The best players should play in the NT in every position. If theyre well over 30 (see Torosidis, or the recently disappeared duo of Karagounis & Katsouranis, or Basinas, or Zagorakis, or anybody), than thats that. Santos chose a few older guys (Carvalho was 38) and Portugal won European Championship in 2016. A Postecoglou type coach would have kicked Carvalho, Quaresma, Bruno Alves (34 years old in 2016) and the likes (except maybe Pepe) out of the squad, and they could have played some attractive football but they would never have won the Euro.

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic