Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Lyko is most interesting. Like to see Bouchali in there along with Taxi. Donis keeps coming up with the goods, CF might actually agree with him if Mykon is out.

Edited by ausgreek

One year of maturity for some players and this is a strong line up:
- - - - - - - - - - Karnezis - - - - - - - - -

- - -Retsos-Sokratis-Manolas - - -

Torosidis-Samaris-Zeca-Stafylidis

- - - - - - - - - - -Fortounis - - - - - - - - - -

-  - - - - - - - - - -Donis - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - Mitroglou - - - - - - - - - - 

I know noone likes 3-5-2 but maybe it is because of the players we have? Everyone sais it doesnt work but Dortmund used 3-5-2 this season quite a lot, so sokratis is familiar. Roma used 3-5-2 as well quite a few times this season, so I cant think Manolas being a stranger with it. Tzavellas knows it too and Im pretty sure Retsos who is good with the ball on his feet and quite versatile can't adapt to it.

As for Skibbe 4-4-1-1 against Belgium. We didnt allow space to any of their good wingers.

It will be a shame if we dont reach the WC and Torosidis - Sokratis - Karnezis - Samaris - Zeca - Mitroglou come of age.

I dont mind a 3-5-2 but we've been playing 4-2-3-1 so we should stick to it and most importantly play Donis on the wing. You think Stafylidis can be integrated on the wing? Lykogiannis looks promising aswell as Koutris from Olympiakos. Also Tzavellas has that position now and has become very reliable.

Edited by Dean97

Who else loved that Skibbe named Sokrati captain despite Tzioli starting? It was the right thing to do giving the armband to the real leader of this team on and off the pitch who is also our most regarded, respected, talented player. Important psychologically for the players and a big statement.

Edited by Argy

2 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Just have a look at this...

This is Fetfa now...

Without a doubt we need him in the team. He plays regularly, scores, mostly assists, only 26 and he is the only one who can help off the bench. 

Absolutely agree.. But do you honestly think Skibbe has half a brain to give him a shot? I don't..

Among the players on the "wish list" to bring back into the Greek squad, Fetfatzidis is among the highest talked about player.

However that said I will recognize that he is gifted, but if he is AS good as people are saying.......why is he not playing on a big club somewhere. Or even in Europe. He plays in Saudi Arabia? I saw a super skills video of him scoring and passing...it looked great but It's a Saudi league. As well it seemed there were 14 people in the stands in each highlight.

Again, I think he is good. But all the armchair managers are trying to select their squad. 

here is an article on Fetfatzidis from 2012, that is titled the Greek Messi. 

http://www.newstalk.com/The-Scouting-Report--The-Greek-Messi-Ioannis-Fetfatzidis

Had I wish list, I think one player that would have been great to have had this campaign was Holebas. He was a very unique weapon to have in the toolbox.

As far as new players, Donis stood out and was impressive. In regards to the other new players, there is work to do. 

Greece never takes the easy path, it's always the hard way & we claw and fight.

As for the coach, and his selections and tactics....on the whole I really like this coach when you look at the big picture. Did he make mistakes-yes,  did he do some very good things too-yes,  and we must keep in mind injuries/suspensions.

I noted what Papastathopoulos and Samaris mentioned in an interview...after a dark period of the National team....The team has become a family again.

I said this in a previous post. It's like having all the Greeksters playing FIFA 18 and picking the Greek team, everyone is going to select differently. But outside of the few players ranked 75-82, the Greek depth reality is you are taking out a 73 for a 74 rated player.

We need more Greeks playing proper fundamental soccer from an early age, boys and girls...period

8 hours ago, georgelaz said:

imagine

mitroglou

donis      fortounis  fetfa

tachtsi kpaps

we would have 2nd locked. And possibly would have beat Belgium.

That would be the ideal line up. Especially with Donis and Fetfa on either wing. I saw the ratings, they haven't shown all players yet. But so far they seem fair. Fortounis should have been 77. Stafylidis should be 77.

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, MItsaras9 said:

Among the players on the "wish list" to bring back into the Greek squad, Fetfatzidis is among the highest talked about player.

However that said I will recognize that he is gifted, but if he is AS good as people are saying.......why is he not playing on a big club somewhere. Or even in Europe. He plays in Saudi Arabia? I saw a super skills video of him scoring and passing...it looked great but It's a Saudi league. As well it seemed there were 14 people in the stands in each highlight.

Again, I think he is good. But all the armchair managers are trying to select their squad. 

here is an article on Fetfatzidis from 2012, that is titled the Greek Messi. 

http://www.newstalk.com/The-Scouting-Report--The-Greek-Messi-Ioannis-Fetfatzidis

Had I wish list, I think one player that would have been great to have had this campaign was Holebas. He was a very unique weapon to have in the toolbox.

As far as new players, Donis stood out and was impressive. In regards to the other new players, there is work to do. 

Greece never takes the easy path, it's always the hard way & we claw and fight.

As for the coach, and his selections and tactics....on the whole I really like this coach when you look at the big picture. Did he make mistakes-yes,  did he do some very good things too-yes,  and we must keep in mind injuries/suspensions.

I noted what Papastathopoulos and Samaris mentioned in an interview...after a dark period of the National team....The team has become a family again.

I said this in a previous post. It's like having all the Greeksters playing FIFA 18 and picking the Greek team, everyone is going to select differently. But outside of the few players ranked 75-82, the Greek depth reality is you are taking out a 73 for a 74 rated player.

We need more Greeks playing proper fundamental soccer from an early age, boys and girls...period

My following wish list is:

Pelkas

Fetfatzidis

Bouchalakis

Androutsos

Kone

Lazaros

Bakakis

I believe that if these players play regularly in this team we will produce goals. I really like to see Limnios and Manthatis but they need more matches under their belt. Retsos is not really needed at the moment.

Our problem are the wingers. The above list is more like favourites, but I believe they can make something happen. 

If you think about Bakakis can replace Torosidis. Pelkas can be pushed on the right wing, but I think Skibbe will use Zeca or Mantalos there. Donis is on the left. That's where Lazaros can play, also Fetfatzidis. So already you've got depth on the left wing. Stafylidis can play there also but is needed at left back. Bouchalakis can Tziolis job but better. 

I believe that Samaris is not at fault. It doesn't make sense that Tachtsidis and Gianniotas don't get to play, I know they havent played matches but what is the excuse for playing Tziolis and Maniatis at the time when they had no clubs? Also calling out of form players like Diamantakos and Bakasetas don't make sense. The only thing that makes sense is that Skibbe wants to have a closed club mentality.

Skibbe is doing a good job but his personnel are wrong He is sabotaging our chances. Tziolis is defensive minded I get it. But the Estonia match was needed for a player like Tachtsidis who knows how to play forward. Playing him against Belgium made no sense but I get it because Papadopoulos and Retsos were injured, Tachtsidis was 50/50 and Kourbelis was injured. I don't believe Kourbelis can provide anything also. I believe more in Samaris, Tachtsidis, Siopis, Bouchalakis, Papadopoulos, Zeca and Maniatis.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

All the Greeks currently worthy of a call up in my opinion:

Goalkeepers : Karnezis , Kapino , Gianniotis ,Paschalakis, Kyriakidis. *

Defenders: Sokratis, Manolas, Tzavellas , Papadopoulos , Retsos , Stafylidis , Cholebas** , Torosidis , Bakakis , 

Midfielders: Samaris , Zeca , Tachtsidis , Siopis , Galanopoulos , Androutsos, Kourbelis , Tziolis*** , Bouchalakis

Forwards: Fortounis, Mantalos ,Christodoulopoulos, Fetfatzidis,  Mitroglou , Donis, Karelis

Prospects:Lazaros Lamprou, Giakoumakis, Mourgos, Masouras,Koutris, Lykogiannis, Manthatis

*No Lamprou. This guy was bought from Ajax and I was like wow, yet he is not even in their first team bench, he plays with the reserves youth squad, no way anyone calls him up at this stage of his career
**Would be nice if he wasn't such a douche , hanging the team for just one coach. But since we dont have him thank goodness Stafylidis stepped up.

***Stop crying over Tziolis his experience with the team is needed. He was first called up 10 years ago, he is the last from the generation that produced only success. We need his experience. Of course he doesn't have to start. But he is needed to be there.
All  the other players are gonna be fillers. Vellios just there to fill the spot of a 2nd holding striker behind Mitroglou. Diamantakos there to be the 4th, Koutroubis there to just fill spots and literally find have enough players for a training διπλό. Ninis and Kone are done for. They are over. Delete them from your memory. Fetfatzidis/Lazaros still of an age to possibly rejoin the NT if asked.

• Like it 1

^I agree but he also is a natural winger and at the very least he deserves to be called up and have him as a bench option... We are calling up guys that don't even get regular playing time so why not have Lazaros as a good bench option..

I agree if I was coach I would put Lazaros for sure based on his form. I would also slowly integrate the likes of Androutsos, Galanopoulos and Manthatis if they are getting some game time. I would play Tachtsidis ahead of any of our CDMs. Tziolis would not be called up. Even if he is experienced. I feel more confident in Tachtsidis.

• Like it 1

Tziolis should not be playing period... he does nothing productive in fact he makes our line up worse.. Some guys suggest "he brings experience" that doesn't cut it... he ruins plays going forward, he can't pass, he can't shoot and he is not that great at taking away space from an opponent.. This entire Tziolis experiment needs to come to an end ASAP...For me Donis earned the right to start as he looked good in both games he's played for us but Fetfa and Laz need to be on our bench period.. I also don't know what to do with Samaria he needs to be on the team but is he really our best choice as a starter?? I like the kid but he makes so many mistakes... 

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic