Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

10 hours ago, RED SHERIFF said:

Vellios is garbage..

Why would you think that? He got signed by Everton at a young age. Lost his form did well in Denmark, went back to Greece and killed it being one of the top scorers in the league with a very average to bad Iraklis team. Then went back to England in the second division for Nottingham Forest and has been scoring belters. I'd say he can go another level and do more. Vellios is not garbage. I think you over exagerated.

Edited by Dean97

On 31/10/2016 at 11:09 PM, Dean97 said:

Why would you think that? He got signed by Everton at a young age. Lost his form did well in Denmark, went back to Greece and killed it being one of the top scorers in the league with a very average to bad Iraklis team. Then went back to England in the second division for Nottingham Forest and has been scoring belters. I'd say he can go another level and do more. Vellios is not garbage. I think you over exagerated.

the everton move was a life time ago in football sense..

he did not do much in Denmark..and he was in a poor team in a poor league..

yes..he scored for Iraklis..but was nit good at times...  I have not been over impressed with his form at Nottingham Forrest..

We need better strikers if we are to progress.. in world football to the level we dream of...

I say forget about Vellios..I put him in the same category as Giannou and Papazoglou..

27 minutes ago, Akritis_1944 said:

You might be right, but Vellios is a much better (and younger) player than both Giannou and Papazoglou.

He's a handy backup but I can't see him ever being the top striker for the Ethniki.

vellios turns 25 in January, Giannou 27 in January and Papazoglou 29 in March..

In a football sense they are all in their prime..

Vellios at 25 will be around a few years more than the other two... at 25 he does not have enough improvement in him to pencil him in as a starter fir the NT post Mitro..

2 hours ago, Akritis_1944 said:

You might be right, but Vellios is a much better (and younger) player than both Giannou and Papazoglou.

He's a handy backup but I can't see him ever being the top striker for the Ethniki.

I agree.

1 hour ago, RED SHERIFF said:

Vellios at 25 will be around a few years more than the other two... at 25 he does not have enough improvement in him to pencil him in as a starter fir the NT post Mitro..

Who do you think can replace Mitroglou down the line?

• 2 weeks later...

one of the things I was thinking about is the obvious that coaches have favourites.

for Skibbe = Tzavellas since his Frankfurt connection. (Possibly also Tsanas)

Santos = Holebas, possibly because of the latin element. (Also one of our most willing coaches to ignore the rest of EPO?)

Holebas was prominent for us when Santos was the selector 2010-2014.

also I think Kone should have a presence in our NT. At least as a super sub. He plays regular in Italy for years now.

Inserting Bakasetas they're kinda like the same player. Although Bakasetas is a cool last name and nice eyes. But they're both slowish for a forward, decent finishers, cf/mids.

Moving on to Belgium I think Skibbe really has no other option than to play with 3 center backs. Let's face it, we have no other option than to park the bus and hope to kill them on counter attacks. As most people probably still remember Italy beat them 2-0, playing 3 CBs. So that's a formation Belgium has struggled with before.

Also I think Mitroglou has no business starting. He's way too slow, and if we're going to play on the counter we need a striker that can exploit the room the Belgian defenders will leave behind them. With other words, I think Karelis is the perfect fit for the match. This is how we should play with the current form of our players:

KARNEZIS

Manolas Sokratis Tzavellas

Torosidis                    Stafilidis

Zeca Maniatis Samaris

Fortounis

Karelis

The midfield is the only questionable positions, with Zeca being the only secure. Hopefully Maniatis will have found a new club, while Samaris needs to get his act together on the NT. Mantalos and Kone should both be candidates for their spots, although Skibbe seems to have an issue with the later.

• Like it 1

36 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

also I think Kone should have a presence in our NT. At least as a super sub. He plays regular in Italy for years now.

Inserting Bakasetas they're kinda like the same player. Although Bakasetas is a cool last name and nice eyes. But they're both slowish for a forward, decent finishers, cf/mids.

Most of your player selections seem to be based on FIFA 17. Whenever you speak about the team it sounds like your basing it on the game. 

Edited by Dean97

kolossos that's a good idea. and dean don't be a dick. I openly say which fifa line ups i use but I'm not one dimensional and I watch a lot of greek soccer. bakasetas and kone are very similar players. bakaseta has a better first touch and interplay, kone is better in virtually everything else.

been following our nt and greek superleague till just before our euro win.

also fifa is pretty spot on with their ratings although some people bitch about them. if you take a peak at them.

http://www.futhead.com/17/nations/greece/

also mantalos/kaltas didn't get on fifa until way later and I commended his play. I could only know that cause I watch superleague. you can get highlights too on novasports

Edited by georgelaz

58 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

kolossos that's a good idea. and dean don't be a dick. I openly say which fifa line ups i use but I'm not one dimensional and I watch a lot of greek soccer. bakasetas and kone are very similar players. bakaseta has a better first touch and interplay, kone is better in virtually everything else.

No re I didn't mean it like that. I do the same. I'm always using Greece in FIFA 17, I'm always trying different formations and new players. I also try and keep it realistic with the squad. I believe Kone offers more than Bakasetas but Bakasetas is talented and needs more time. Fetfatzidis outshines both of them.

• Like it 1

It is obvious that as long as SKibbe is our manager we will be seeing the same faces. He is following Otto`s philosophy of a reliable, small, tight-knit group with familiar faces, regardless of their club situation. 

• Like it 1

I don't. but if he's going to start that's where he'd be useful. he'd wouldn't be useful anywhere else really.

fortounis however can do well in lcm. someone else on here was wanting him to play deeper as a playmaker, as well. in order to maximize the best out of all our players collectively, might be a good move.

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 3:10 PM, georgelaz said:

most of our strikers seem to struggle at the NT level until after a lot of caps.

Vellios and Diamantakos haven't looked any better than Klaus.

Gekas, salpi, and mitroglou also struggled for the NT initially. Gyftoglou is still struggling for us.

I'm all for zeca playing for the NT, he's better than most of the cdm's that are available. Only samaris and tachtsidis are better, and they're both inconsistent 

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic