Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I cant see anything wrong with 4 4 2 really. The form isn't there for 3 at the back. Two guys in their 30's tracking fwd and back all the time is not going to work. Fortress defence is with 4 at the back.

Edited by ausgreek

On 13 Apr 16, Kostakis Koutsokoumnis told media that Stavros Kontos and the EPO will restart the Greek Cup. It will be played either outside of Athens or in front of school children only. Good news Yulla.

Edited by ausgreek

that's right he only left Bologna when they went down......no point playing Serie B...at his age and his 'market reputation'  

he was good at Udinese....over his career he seems to carry a lot of injuries.....and break down for a fit strong young player...

He may still make it at Fiorentina?  or we may see him move in the summer.....the move was not the end of the world....still only 28

Panagioti also takes wrong options for an AM. He is a CM or winger at the highest level. Lazaro could be an AM squad player in the Ethniki ahead of Kone, 2nd to Fortounis. Has Fetfa lost some kilos and gained any form lately??

HELLAS

4 5 1

KARNEZIS

MANOLAS                             SOKRATIS

TOROTSIDIS ©                                                                                                   TZAVELLAS

SAMARIS                KPAPS

FORTOUNIS                                                                                                       HOLEBAS                               

SAMARAS

MITROGLOU

KARELIS  VELLIOS  BAKASETAS  KALTSAS

MANTALOS  PELKAS  PETSOS

SIOVAS  STAFYLIDIS  BAKAKIS

KAPINO  VELLIDIS

23 Players that can become formidable. Look out Belgium!

Not sure Maniatis or Tachtsidis contribute to the cause.

Samaras, a semiprofessional player, in a 4-4-1-1 behind Mitroglou? Come on. We have so many other options for that position - Karelis showed himself more than capable of that role.

Now's the time to try the new faces there, not the washed-up ones.

• Like it 1

He was a controversial choice as 10kari. The star of Rayo OKC has composure in front of goal. Fortounis, Karelis or Mantalos, all have energy there. I definitely wouldn't place Tziolis there.

Edited by ausgreek

Fellow pirates of the high seas, if Greece stuff up their first WCQ match, it Only takes one match, the coaching unit will call upon All the experience they can muster, even the most experienced kebab sellers outside. It happens in workplaces, all sporting organisations. Greece have sent 35-36 year olds to World Cups. We are the classic case. I will go on record and guarantee Samaras, Maniati, Tzioli, Lazaro and Kone (the Greek Bulut) will be in the squad. these are only trials remember.

Where are you La Mandel, I'm in your corner yulla.

I don't disagree with what everyone is saying about Samaras, yes he needs to be in better shape and yes he needs to play against higher end talent, but to be honest I still haven't seen anyone on this team being able to control the pace and make something out of nothing. In my opinion as frustrating as he's been at times he still controlled the ball and created chances better then anyone we have now.

Samaras? Come on guys, this is our biggest problem, we want to be loyal to guys who did great things for us in their peak which was 5-10 years ago, that's why young guys never got a run in the 1st place as we wanted to be loyal to players, Oh salpi scored a goal for us lets put him in the NT, oh Katsouranis was in the 04 team we need to have him there now even at 36, this mentality needs to change otherwise Greece wont be going anywhere.

Amo/Nick its true we are very guilty of this and this is why we are where we are as a football nation, yes we did well at Brazil with luck on our side and yes you need luck in those tournaments, but when you pay money to travel to these tournaments like I do then I see Katsou/Samaras and co playing I cringe and think why the F*** did I bother coming. We need to be picking players on form not because he did something for us 10 years ago or because someone puts in a word for someone to get into the side, this s%$#! needs to change right now but sadly it most likely wont......

• Like it 1

I think our vetting process is what made Greece punch above it's weight the past 10 years.

Whereas form whore countries like England underachieve.

I like the idea of slowly integrating 4-5 new players each tournament to form, potential, aging veterans, rather than tossing away hard earned chemistry, confidence, experience.

I think we have the right balance. Ranieri killed us because he was a form whore, which works in the fast paced premier league but not in NT football imo.

The core is Karnezis, Sokratis, Manolas, Samaris, Torosidis, Mitroglou, Holebas, Kpaps.

We are now integrating Fortounis, Karelis, Mantalos, Petsos, Tachtsidis.

"Form whore" ? Most people would argue against the pejorative you're making that philosophy. I, for one, think the way Greece has gone about its "vetting process" for the past decade has been simply shameful. But I guess some people still thought Karagounis was physically capable of playing at that level for his last four or so years of NT duty? Or perhaps this amazing process is what will guarantee Kpaps will keep getting called up when he can't play more than four games without getting injured?

its all about balance guys. The problem with the ethniki is that it doesn't and hasn't had any depth for years now. You've got to stick with the vets, in most cases, because they are your best players. I understand the way greece plays is archaic, and i agree that some of these players like tziolis have no place near the team.. but thinking about the last call ups, I think other than tziolis and maybe papazoglou, everyone else deserves to be there. I'm not against brining in new guys if they are good enough, but the problem is they usually aren't. 

when karagounis was playing in the nt, sure he had some elements to his game that drove everyone nuts, but the simple fact is we didn't have anyone who could play in that position ... now we have fourtounis, but greece just simply doesn't have the depth and quality. Just cause a guy scores a couple goals in a super league season does not make him worthy of an automatic call up.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic