Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

the lack of intensity by individuals is disturbing..,,

Skibbe needs to work on this aspect...

Vyntra, Tziolis and Moras have no place in this squad...

They have come to an age that makes it irrational to select them, given the WC qualifiers start in 10 months....

not sure where Tziolis fits in to a midfield that includes options of Petsos, Kourbelis, Fortounis, Samaris, Taxi, Mandalos etc..

Time to wake up.  Nearly half the squad is over-rated.  If you're waiting for Taxi or Samaris to save us, we'll be waiting forever.  The midfield is woeful.  They can't defend or attack.  Pick one at least.  If I was an opposition manager, and I saw Samaris and Taxi in the middle, it wouldn't worry me in the slightest.  Sure, they have the occasional good game ... once in a while.

There are problems in the midfield and up front, but we need to fix the middle first.  Play one of Taxi or Samaris (whoever you think can defend better) as the DM and Pelkas and Fortounis as attacking CM's.  That's it.  That simple.  All the rest is fluff.  We lack depth as well.  Outside of this combo I can't think of another decent one.

Up front, that's a whole different problem.

• Like it 1

Karnezis

Torosidis- Manolas--Sokratis -Holebas

Tachtsidis---Samaris-

Ninis/Fortou

Karelis                            Pelkas   

Mitroglou

^ If we field this exact lineup, I don't think many teams could beat us. I don't recall ever seeing this lineup. And I think we could take the turks with it.

No stupid subs either. Kone, Mantalos, Kpaps are acceptable.

Edited by georgelaz

Is Kone even in the squad??

Karelis is in woeful form...

Toro, Holebas, Sokratis, Manolas, Karnezis, Taxi, Fortounis are the core of this team.....

Ninis, Mandalos, K.Pap, Mitro, Samaris, Kone, Pelkas, Maniatis, Petsos in the next bracket....

the others don't really matter at this stage...just fillers...

• Like it 1

Is Kone even in the squad??

Karelis is in woeful form...

Toro, Holebas, Sokratis, Manolas, Karnezis, Taxi, Fortounis are the core of this team.....

Ninis, Mandalos, K.Pap, Mitro, Samaris, Kone, Pelkas, Maniatis, Petsos in the next bracket....

the others don't really matter at this stage...just fillers...

Petsos is in the next bracket? On what grounds? He's played one game. This lineup is full of the wishful thinking that you're implying for the 'others' who aren't good enough.

Would also much rather see Kone up front than Karelis. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter, because nobody on the team actually gives a s%$#!.

Kone is a must at least as a sub, only problem is his natural position we have 4 other startable players 

CAM we have Ninis, Fortounis, Mantalos, Pelkas. 

Pelkas can play on the wing because he has great pace.

1789 points out he can be used as striker. He hasn't exactly gotten enough goals in his career to warrant that though.

If anything Fetfatzidis should be on our left wing, or Lazaros instead of Karelis.

I like Karelis, he works well with Mitroglou and Ninis. He's only 23, great pace, an additional goal threat and quite the passionate player. He will improve.

Wow look how much we miss Samaras,I know a lot of guys on here never liked him but if he was on this team he would be a guaranteed starter. Look how much we miss someone that can take a pass make a pass and dribble and slow the pace down. Now I understand he doesn't have a club and he's out of form but F*** I would love to have him back.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2

Enough about Fetfatzidis and Samaras. Both are long past any sort of relevance.

Holebas and Kitsiou are both fast and well suited to a wingback role. Torosidis is aging like milk. The 3-at-the-back could work, if we had three at the back that we could rely on. Which we do not.

Tziolis aside we had our best 10 footballers on the park in the 11 today...

the only exception is Tziolis replacement?    Mandalos/Kone/Pelkas/Ninis etc....

also moving forward the 3 at the back will no doubt be used v Belgium and Bosnia, but hopefully not v Cyprus and Estonia..

a lot will depend how quick and attacking minded is the Tziolis replacement in that 11.

Edited by RED SHERIFF

we should use the lineup we used against Turkey against superpowers eg) Germany, Argentina, England

but instead a 5-2-3 (2 dm) and switch to a 3 - 4 - 3 on counterattack.

against sides equal or less than us on paper we gotta go with the 4 AM's we saw against hungary 

The formations the NT has been using lately are terrible because many times we get caught out with balls in behind the defence, go back to a natural 4 defenders and change the middle and front line, we cant afford to have teams get behind us all the time and the teams we have played aren't exactly big teams, we play these kind of formations against a Germany, Spain or England they will slaughter us with pace on the counter.

Build your foundation from the back after all in Euro 2004 it was our organised defence that got us the title and yes we may not have the talents of Dellas, Fyssas Seitaridis and Kasapis but the players we have at the back currently are more than capable of doing the same job as those guys did.

• Like it 1

The problem has been link up from the back to our 10 or options down the line and then of course the lack of finish.

After the last qualifier I really liked what I saw from Tachtidis..vision and no fear of trying to slip long passes thru channels for Fotounis and Mitro. I loved Skibbe playing the 3 horsemen in the back...yes I know there were 4.

................Kapino/Karnezis.............

.......Manolas.....Sokratis..........Papadopoulos.....

Torosidis...Samaris...........Tachtsidis........Stafylidis

....................Fortounis.......................

................Pelkas..........Mitro...............

Moving forward we need to find a replacement for Torosidis( I would love to see Mavrias there got preseason minutes for Sunderland at RB at did well) and Stafylidis must replace Holebas..Pelkas/Mandalos can interchange play the hot hand.As for Mitro..if he cant pick it up go with hot players ala Vardy..Giannou Velios..who cares Sammy filling it up for Cosmos why not (BTW did we miss him during the last campaign). I love that Skibbe is juggling formations..hope some fresh faces get a sniff.

@ Original Sydney 2004 was a generational team..imagine Dabizas was there...right now our 3 best players are CB..play them..thats what coach has to do..now we need to find some pace down the wings and some inform attacking players..I believe Samaris Tachtsidis Petsos can play the middle of the parkclog it up bulldog mentality and all three can play passes up the field...great insulation behind them...I believe in Skibbe vision of a 3-5-2.

@ Original Sydney 2004 was a generational team..imagine Dabizas was there...right now our 3 best players are CB..play them..thats what coach has to do..now we need to find some pace down the wings and some inform attacking players..I believe Samaris Tachtsidis Petsos can play the middle of the parkclog it up bulldog mentality and all three can play passes up the field...great insulation behind them...I believe in Skibbe vision of a 3-5-2.

• Like it 1

OFI-mtl I have always been a fan of the 3-5-2 but these days it is a very hard formation to get working, you need 3 quality CB which we have, you need 2 wing backs who will run all day, currently we don't have this and you need a creative #10 which we also have and 2 deadly strikers, which we don't have either,  so since we don't have all the needs to play this formation I think we will struggle in certain areas, but Skibbe deserves a chance like the rest who have coached the NT so we shall see how he goes about it. From memory the last NT to dominate with the 3-5-2 was Holland in Brazil and still I wouldn't call that dominating, Italy was very good with the 3-5-2....

Holland played the 3-5-2 in their demolition of Spain, but they weren't as dominant in their remaining games from what I recall. But I also can't remember if van Gaal stayed with that formation throughout the tournament?

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic