Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

There has to be some continuity with team selections, not the circus Ranieri was parading, given the injuries too. Lets go back to world cup. Samaras was cf, so he must be next game. Mitro can sit on the bench, he will fire, has done it before in his National team, na poume!

Fetfa is our Ronaldo, lets Not beat around the bush. Need to have a creative Midfield, rest of team is set. Karnezis, Toro, Manolas, Sokratis Pap, Holebas, Kyriakos Pap, P Tachtsidis, try Lazaros Christo, G Fetfa, G Samaras and P Kone. Like to see Aravidis, Mitro and Gianniotas as part of the bench. This team should start resembling the team that will go to Russia. Minimal 30+ year olds from this match. Cheers boythes!!  

Top summary 1789. It would depend on what formation Sergio wanted to settle on too. If he opts for 4231, and Kone is a second stricker, he doesn't fit this model, he is an AM is this the place for him?

In a 352 formation, Kyriakos, Manolas and Sokratis have it covered at the back, is Toro as attacking as Holebas and how are those crosses in? In the world cup, could anyone else have scored the Samaris goal the way he did. Samaris to me is an enigma, where is his best position?? He is energetic, would it be fair to say he is not technically as gifted on a consistant basis. Do we need more of Tachtsidis, Fortounis, Ninis and Klonaridis and less of Maniatis, Samaris, Kone, Lazo and the Kats-man??

What a blow that Mantalos is out injured. Give us a formation and a team based on your summation.

It's gotta be Tachtsidis. We aren't exactly spoiled for DMs that aren't Katsouranis. Samaris was very poor last match, but I'm sure we'll see him start.

--Karnezis--

--Skondras--Manolas--Sokratis--Holebas--

--Tachtsidis--Samaris--

--Fetfa--Fortounis--Lazaros--

--Samaras--

Make it happen, Sergio, baby

Boys, I read some jouno's quote a while back that when P Kone first came into the national team environment, he was infact touted as 'the new Karagounis!' That tells me that he was touted as a DM. Would that read correct to others? If so, play him there next match, I'm not crazy about him at AM..

Karnezis

Torosidis, Manolas, Papastathopoulos, Holebas

Kone, Maniatis, K. Papadopoulos

Fetfatzidis, Mitroglou, Samaras

could be the best solution now (if everybody is healthy and Holebas wants to play for Greece). On the bench/in the squad: Kapino, Konstantopuolos (or Glykos if he plays), Moras, Tzavellas, Giannoulis, Vyntra, Siovas, Stafylidis, Tachtsidis, Samaris, Tziolis, Fortounis, Christodoulopoulos, Petsos, Katsouranis, Salpingidis, Karelis, D. Papadopoulos.

Edited by La Mendel

• 4 weeks later...

Mitroglou is our best forward. He scored three times in the last 3 matches, he should be start against Faroe Islands.

Karelis can be useful in the course of time too, he is more promising than Athanasiadis, and much more promising than players like Aravidis, Vellios or Mantalos.

To be honest any striker should do we are versing the Faroes islands this should be in the bag with a 5-0 win for us Klaus should be given another go even though i said he was horrible in the hungary match and have Karelis and/or Mitroglou in their at some stage. I also think we should play Tachtsidis and Tziolis from now on because you have experience and talent in the midfield. I also agree that Mitroglou is our best forward but i dont think he is where he was 2 years ago. Therefore playing either Karelis, Klaus and Aravidis would not be a problem.

Edited by Dean97

I am not SammyPAOK, I think I have said that before. Nor Athanasiadis nor Vellios is right now able to play on the national team level. Perhaps it is too early to call up Karelis too, but we have many injured or out of from attackers otherwise (Salpingidis didnt play for PAOK in the last x weeks, Gekas is a free agent, Samaras... I dont know if he is fit and/or in-form). Perhaps D. Papadopoulos or even Kapetanos could manage it against Faroe Islands but I dont think they will be called up by Markari?n. Probably we will see (besides Mitroglou) Gianniotas, Karelis, Athanasiadis and perhaps some other striker in the squad.

Edited by La Mendel

Why do you think any striker would do? If that was the case then why didn't we score on them at home when they beat us 1-0 in GREECE? We have to approach this game with a different attitude not the attitude that any striker will do or any system will do or that the 3 points are in the bag. If we have the mentality we are toast.. I'm not saying the Islands are a good team but either are we right now, the Islands put a scare against Romania and have kept almost every game within one goal, we need guys that can score because honestly I don't have any confidence in any of our forwards right now. Even though Raneri sucked the bag with us we still should have had enough talent to score a damn Goal against sub par teams which we obviously couldn't, even when Makaranian coached the last game yes we looked much more organized but guess what news flash we couldn't score a goal either, so I'm sorry I'm not trying to rag on you but when you say we should be able to win 5-0 I shake my head thinking let's be happy we score one and shut it down on defense.

I think Ninis and Fortounis deserve to be in our starting line ups. They are our best technical players who can pass the ball and create. Fortounis has had a great season and Ninis is looking like he has found his form and from recent matches looks better than ever. Our attack recently looks lost with no creativity, hopefully they can make a difference.

Boys, I read some jouno's quote a while back that when P Kone first came into the national team environment, he was infact touted as 'the new Karagounis!' That tells me that he was touted as a DM. Would that read correct to others? If so, play him there next match, I'm not crazy about him at AM..

Although Karagounis played as defensive central midfielder at Pao & Fulham for the national team he was used mostly as a #10 attacking midfielder/playmaker or either left or right midfield. Basinas, Katsouranis, Zagorakis, K.Papadopoulos, Makos, Pliatsikas, Tsiolis, Maniatis, Samaris or Tachtsidis have been preferred probably because Greece do not lack defensive midfielders but have lacked a true #10 playmaker ever since Tsiartas. Karagounis is the only player the coaches have trusted in that roll after Ninis & Fetfatzidis failed to take their chances when given the opportunity. They played one great match & then not get involved in the next 3 matches or get injured. Personally I thought Karagounis was best as a defensive midfielder as he did in his last two matches against Ivory Coast & Costa Rica.

Karnezis

Torosidis Sokratis Manolas Stafylidis

Tachtsidis Samaris

Fetfatzidis Ninis Fortounis

Karelis

Ninis Karelis and Fortounis are all in great form and need to play, Fetfatzidis is needed as well. If Tachtsidis and Samaris can play well for the etniki like they do for their clubs we will win easily against the Faroe Islands

Bench options: Kapinos Velidis Skondras Moras Siovas Lagos Kone Lazaros Mitroglou Mavrias Aravidis Gianniotas Vyntra (we have no other left back)

Edited by Original 21
  • Like it 1

Hopefully Karelis will get the nod upfront, I'd also like to see Samaras on the team, something like

_______________________Karnezis

Torsidis______Manolas____________Papastathopoulos_____Stafylidis

Fetfatzidis____Samaris______________Tachtsidis_________Samaras

________________Karelis_______Mitroglou

Chris, is it a better option to have the like of Fetfatzidus, Tachtsidis, Ninis or Fortounis in midfield, and use the like of Samaris as a runner on the wings, later in the second half of matches? Throw in Kone and Lazaros in these roles. These types don't have a high skill factor in comparison to the first lot.

I don't think Samaras will be used on the wing ever again. He has made the permanent progression to CF, or even bench now, speed is not his fortay. 

I have said this previously but the flippant way many posters dismiss players based on a few seconds of highlights is annoying.

Lazaros didn't get much match time in the second half of the season for Verona so that's a concern, but can anyone really say he's not good enough or skilful, or slow when we have guys like Vydra and Katsouranis still kicking around?

Lazaros was one of the better players against the Magyars. Not sure what people are seeing.

The guy can help this team. He's skillful direct play needs to be harnessed by the coach as he seems to play with out instruction at times. No doubts about his abilities though.

• Like it 2

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic