Phantis Forums

Panathinaiko Kafenio

Guest PastMember

@Bananas Yeah, I'm of the same view. I've been saying for years that the gap between the top (maybe a dozen) teams and the rest is huge and getting bigger. A handful of teams have budgets greater than the whole Greek league. You can't compete with that. Maybe there's no difference in how competitive they are among teams who spend $200 and $250 million, but there's no way a team with a budget of under $10 mil. (like PAO) can compete.

Same in Greece, where Oly often had budgets bigger than all of their competitors combined.

Now, the concentration of great players in 3-4 leagues also increase the quality of the teams & leagues. This brings success and more income.

But, the titles are won only by a handful of top teams. The rest are like film extras who appear just to make the scene work.

I think UEFA is making a big mistake for allowing this to happen.  I like Bananas suggestions.  The only snag may be the definition of "foreign" player. If someone is a European citizen and part of the EU, then they can work anywhere within the EU.

7 hours ago, athinaios said:

I think UEFA is making a big mistake for allowing this to happen.  I like Bananas suggestions.  The only snag may be the definition of "foreign" player. If someone is a European citizen and part of the EU, then they can work anywhere within the EU.

Well from a legal perspective UEFA will argue that any player with EU citizenship should be free to play where he wishes.  But you always have special cases, it's never a simple blanket rule so if they argue that they are just being cute.  The situation is so out of hand now that even "small" teams in Greece have many non Greek players and if it went back to the old system it would take time for clubs to adjust.  You'd probably have to do it over a 3 to 5 year period now.

This is not about I want to see more Greek players playing in the GSL, although that would be a side effect.  It's about trying to stop the spiraling concentration of money.  To be fair, I think there is no more concentration to be had.  I think the big clubs are already eating most of the pie.  Their bellies are full.

13 minutes ago, Bananas said:

..  I think the big clubs are already eating most of the pie.  Their bellies are full.

Oh, I think on this one you're wrong my friend.....

Is this what happens in the real world??  No! Those who get most of the benefits always want more. And, they complain the most when they lose a portion of their huge slice...

Just for fun, read Forbes magazine (or any of its type). You'll see how many analysts, editors, economic players, etc, all complain about the disastrous policies that practically kill the entrepreneurial spirit, tax the job creators too much, etc. etc. Meanwhile, 90% of the economic boom since the Great Recession of the 2008-09 has been captured by the top 5%, while Wall Street has been breaking records giving bonuses to its employees, CEOs, money managers, etc. Anyway, I don't want to go into another topic...

The thing is to keep healthy competition going. Capitalism leads to monopolies unless there's oversight and regulation. Like any society that's healthy, UEFA has to make its competitions healthy. Same with national leagues. It's not fun or good for Greece that 1 team has a bigger budget than all of its competitors combined and wins 99% of the titles.

• Like it 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Green Man said:

why did pana 97 and a few others get banned???

Pana asked that his account be deleted, and the site obliged, I don't recall what he was upset about, but more than a couple posters asked him to reconsider but his mind was made up. About others, I'm not aware...

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Αποτελέσματα και πρόγραμμα 3ης αγωνιστικής:
Αστέρας Τρίπολης-Λαμία     1-3
Ατρόμητος-ΠΑΣ Γιάννινα     0-0
Ξάνθη-Ολυμπιακός           1-1
Πανιώνιος-Παναιτωλικός     1-1 
Λεβαδειακός-Πλατανιάς      1-1
ΑΕΚ-ΑΕΛ                    4-0
Κέρκυρα-Παναθηναϊκός       1-0
Απόλλων Σμύρνης-ΠΑΟΚ      11/09

ΒΑΘΜΟΛΟΓΙΑ (σε 3αγ.)
1 ΑΕΚ               7
2 Ολυμπιακός        7
3 Πανιώνιος         7
4 ΠΑΣ Γιάννινα      5
5 Ξάνθη             5
6 ΠΑΟΚ              4 -2αγ.
7 Λαμία             4
8 Ατρόμητος         3
9 Λεβαδειακός       3
10 Κέρκυρα           3
11 Παναιτωλικός      2
12 Πλατανιάς         2 
13 Αστέρας Τρίπολης  1
14 Απόλλων Σμύρνης   1 -2αγ.
15 Λάρισα            1
16 Παναθηναϊκός      0
* Ο Παναθηναϊκός έχει -2 βαθμούς.

We are officially at the bottom of the pit after 3 games!

This is the lowest this team has ever been!

Everyone involved should leave this team NOW!

• 1 year later...