Phantis Forums

Greece-Romania(7 September 2014, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)

Omonoia9

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad game overall by the Greek team.

Refs also were not great as they missed the penalty on Romania and maybe a handball against them later but replay was not shown.

This Greek team needs to find their identity. There is lots of time to do that but it would have been better if they played a much weaker the first time around just to figure things out.

mark my words. this coach will be a disaster....his body language, his interview, his preparation, his call ups.

NO friendly...he should have had two, not one.

u r the new coach, u need to send a message to everyone. u pick a new group and gut your midfield, etc. etc. 

this was an egregious series of mis steps in my opinion. 

very ominous start. 

look, just because he would have had two friendlies still doesnt mean they would have won...but, if you are a coach of his experience, dont you think  you need to get the team at least SOME game time together? ESPECIALLY if you are introducing SO many new elements, players and tactics? 

i dont get it. if that is the overall way he approaches his job, we are in for some "nasty weather" 

Edited by bleedblueandwhite

we lost too many experienced players all at the same time kara/kats, and the coach chose to omit the only striker that had a full pre-season and has loads of experience(gekas) and we had too many rookies, particularly in midfield, holebas proved once again what a liability he is with a needless foul for the penalty which he is prone to, salpi who's started the season abysmally was captain and played 90 mins this player is finished in my view, tachtsidis is talented but careless and plays like he's not bothered if the side loses and is forever giving the ball away, samaris was the only positive in midfield, mitroglou clearly not match fit was given 90 minutes (where's gekas?????) and diamantakos proved he's not ready for this level. maybe in a month when mitroglou and samaras have some nminutes under their belts and fetfatzidis returns from injury we'll start creating chances again but i think its gonna be back to the dark ages for a few years.

Katsouranis didn't internationally retire, he just wasn't called up. Strikers weren't the problem though, getting the ball to them was. Our midfielders couldn't make that final pass. Also, Christodoulopoulos and Kone should've started. Mantalos? What's that all about? Karnezis still can't save a penalty, but I thought looked solid otherwise, and who else do we even have?

katsouranis doesn't have a club and is also finished as an international player in my view, there was no way he could have been called up but nonetheless how do you replace 114 caps having already lost karagounis, the current midfielders are not that young but are very inexperienced they need an experienced player alongside them. the next game we'll have strikers with matches under their belts and will be match fit, and samaris and tachtsidis would have gained more match fitness, if fetfatzidis can get over his groin strain in time and if fortounis ever gets a game for olympiakos then we should be in better shape next month, although that midfield is threadbare. salpingidis has been great for greece over the years but he's finished, and ranieri made him captain?????? maybe kone could play centre midfield alongside samaris if tachtsidis continues to labour. also a new left back is required holebas is a liability not sure if stafylidis is ready, karabelas has looked solid playing regularly in spain but he's nearly 30 and has no international caps, maybe tzavellas even.