Phantis Forums

Greece-Romania(7 September 2014, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)

Omonoia9

Euro 2016 qualifier, the Claudio Ranieri era of the ethniki kicks off in Piraeus, the opponent being the team we upended to make the World Cup, Romania. 

:gr:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our first friendly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OM, couldn't resist.

ya think maybe romania gonna come out guns a blazing due to our knocking them out of the world cup?

i wish we had a few friendlies to at least acclimate everyone to a new system, new guys on the squad and particualrly midfield that has the potential to look very different than what we are used to...

kone - taxidis - fourtounis - samaris?   

where is fet and ninis? 

nini i can understand a bit, but no fet?

here we go again : I DONT GET GET IT

Edited by bleedblueandwhite

where is fet and ninis? 

nini i can understand a bit, but no fet?

here we go again : I DONT GET GET IT

fet is injured, ninis is without a club since he had his contract ripped up by parma despite having 3 years left on it. its gonna be a tough game in an empty stadium. i'd take a draw.

here's the squad

O Karnezis (Udinese) P Glykos(PAOK) S Kapino(Mainz)

V Torosidis J Holebas K Manolas (All Roma) A Papadopoulos(Trabzonspor) K Papadopoulos(Bayer Leverkusen) L Vyntra(Levante) V Moras(Verona) G Tzavellas(PAOK) S Papastathopoulos(Borussia Dortmund)

A Samaris(Benfica) P Tachtsidis L Christodoulopoulos (Both Verona) P Kone(Udinese) K Fortounis(Olympiakos) P Mantalos(AEK)

D Salpingidis(PAOK) G Samaras(WBA) K Mitroglou D Diamantakos (Both Olympiakos) S Athanasiadis(PAOK)

a bit gutted there's no Gekas but at the same time i'm excited to see what Diamantakos can do, i hope he starts, 3 goalkeepers are unnecessary and way too many defenders, Mantalos is a surprise, he's been playing well but thats in the second tier of the greek league and at 23 he should be playing at a higher level. Fortounis hasn't played for ages, we look a bit weak in midfield the rest of the squad looks decent.

fet is injured, ninis is without a club since he had his contract ripped up by parma despite having 3 years left on it. its gonna be a tough game in an empty stadium. i'd take a draw.

here's the squad

O Karnezis (Udinese) P Glykos(PAOK) S Kapino(Mainz)

V Torosidis J Holebas K Manolas (All Roma) A Papadopoulos(Trabzonspor) K Papadopoulos(Bayer Leverkusen) L Vyntra(Levante) V Moras(Verona) G Tzavellas(PAOK) S Papastathopoulos(Borussia Dortmund)

A Samaris(Benfica) P Tachtsidis L Christodoulopoulos (Both Verona) P Kone(Udinese) K Fortounis(Olympiakos) P Mantalos(AEK)

D Salpingidis(PAOK) G Samaras(WBA) K Mitroglou D Diamantakos (Both Olympiakos) S Athanasiadis(PAOK)

a bit gutted there's no Gekas but at the same time i'm excited to see what Diamantakos can do, i hope he starts, 3 goalkeepers are unnecessary and way too many defenders, Mantalos is a surprise, he's been playing well but thats in the second tier of the greek league and at 23 he should be playing at a higher level. Fortounis hasn't played for ages, we look a bit weak in midfield the rest of the squad looks decent.

I hope you're being sarcastic about your displeasure at the lack of Gekas. The World Cup and the preceding friendlies proved he shouldn't be playing international football anymore. Karagounis acknowledged it, Gekas and Katsouranis should've done the same.

js and crew....

without a general on the field we are lost....someone MUST rise to the occasion...karagouni with all his deficiencies at his current stage was still a LEADER - and the game went through him. and since midfield is the key in any offensive push, we now have a bunch of individuals who, though may have some ability, have never played together...this is a wholesale change...we have always asked for the young guys to get a chance, but now midfiled is gutted.

who is gonna drive the team? who is going to step up and be the one that others latch onto? who is #10? who is gonna "make the game"?

we HAD nobody at midfield that could play offensively, but at least there was a plan, and some cohesion....but now we have no cohesion, or leader to make the game....

i very curious how this will all unfold...

maybe we can lure Tsiartas out of retirement...

Edited by bleedblueandwhite

I hope you're being sarcastic about your displeasure at the lack of Gekas. The World Cup and the preceding friendlies proved he shouldn't be playing international football anymore. Karagounis acknowledged it, Gekas and Katsouranis should've done the same.

up front in this squad we have mitroglou who hasn't played since the world cup and is clearly not fit, we have salpingidis who has been abysmal for PAOK this season and for greece has usually played wide right, we have samaras who has had no pre-season and hasn't played since the world cup, we have athanasiadis who's started the season brightly but at 26 has only 6 international caps and 0 goals, so yes i'm gutted by gekas' omission, he's had a full pre-season and we need experience. Diamantakos excites me though, it would be a bold move to start him though.

EPO should have organised a friendly before this game.

who is #10? who is gonna "make the game"?

ranieri has picked mantalos, but omitted lagos of Panathinaikos who really has potential and is younger than mantalos and playing at a higher level too. tachtsidis although talented seems far too casual. midfield is a real problem samaris hasn't played since the world cup i suspect ranieri is gonna go with 3 central defenders hence the amount of defenders in the squad.

i think ranieri is pondering a 5-3-2 with holebas and torosidis as wing backs, if fetfa was fit, ninis had a club and fortounis had some football under his belt then maybe he'd play a different system. 

midfield has been the problem for years now...either because they are "coached" to stay back or because they just dont play offensively.....

i think ninis is a good idea for midfield, since he has vision and skill and, will not be asked to muscle anyone up...but he has dropped off the map for some reason......and fetfa could be a good option to play a "messi" like role.....

avraaaam stinks...dont know why he is even on the team.....

dont know.....just dont know

js and crew....

without a general on the field we are lost....someone MUST rise to the occasion...karagouni with all his deficiencies at his current stage was still a LEADER - and the game went through him. and since midfield is the key in any offensive push, we now have a bunch of individuals who, though may have some ability, have never played together...this is a wholesale change...we have always asked for the young guys to get a chance, but now midfiled is gutted.

who is gonna drive the team? who is going to step up and be the one that others latch onto? who is #10? who is gonna "make the game"?

we HAD nobody at midfield that could play offensively, but at least there was a plan, and some cohesion....but now we have no cohesion, or leader to make the game....

i very curious how this will all unfold...

maybe we can lure Tsiartas out of retirement...

Someone will have to step up, but who's to say there's nobody in the squad who can?

up front in this squad we have mitroglou who hasn't played since the world cup and is clearly not fit, we have salpingidis who has been abysmal for PAOK this season and for greece has usually played wide right, we have samaras who has had no pre-season and hasn't played since the world cup, we have athanasiadis who's started the season brightly but at 26 has only 6 international caps and 0 goals, so yes i'm gutted by gekas' omission, he's had a full pre-season and we need experience. Diamantakos excites me though, it would be a bold move to start him though.

EPO should have organised a friendly before this game.

ranieri has picked mantalos, but omitted lagos of Panathinaikos who really has potential and is younger than mantalos and playing at a higher level too. tachtsidis although talented seems far too casual. midfield is a real problem samaris hasn't played since the world cup i suspect ranieri is gonna go with 3 central defenders hence the amount of defenders in the squad.

i think ranieri is pondering a 5-3-2 with holebas and torosidis as wing backs, if fetfa was fit, ninis had a club and fortounis had some football under his belt then maybe he'd play a different system. 

All the strikers you just named are better than Gekas. He's done.

a few friendlies to see who emerges would be nice

this to me is not a good sign......it really isn't.  

u dont "learn on the job" ...

Well that's a whole different issue, and we agree Ranieri should've had at least one friendly.

All the strikers you just named are better than Gekas. He's done.

well thats just a matter of opinion but the strikers in the squad are either not match fit (mitroglou/samaras) or just not very good (athanasiadis/salpingidis) really looking forward to seeing diamantakos though. in a few weeks when mitroglou & samaras are match sharp then you could omit gekas.

GREECE

1 Karnezis(GK)

4 Manolas

15 Torosidis

19 Papastathopoulos

20 Holebas

2 Mantalos

22 Samaris

23 Tachtsidis

9 Mitroglou

10 Samaras

14 Salpingidis(Captain)