Phantis Forums

Kostas Mitroglou ‒ (now playing for Aris)

js1000

3 hours ago, Argy said:

Karagounis and Katsouranis did often look average and have been outplayed. We have always had problems in the midfield, but we had decent wingplay from the fullbacks and wingers, which covered up our deficiencies. Karagounis was NT material, he played some great games, but memory is selective and we tend to only remember the good times. Bottom line, we need to see much more from our midfield. We have no presence, no confidence and no ability to possess the ball fluently. Did you see with what ease Croatia's midfield was controlling the game, winning balls, keeping possession? Fortounis is on the pitch and it seems like most of the time he's praying not to get a pass. 

you're wrong. it looked like that because in the 2012 and 2014 these dudes where like 35 and 37 years old. do you really expect them to hold the midfield against germany/colombia or so? 

regarding your fortounis comments. i explained before that since skibbe's offensive tactics are rubbish fortounis looks clueless. the only man he can pass the ball is mitroglou. why is that? because the wingers are not wingers but either central midfielders like zeca and mantalos or side backs like stafylidis. that's TOTALLY up to skibbe. fortounis is a pretty technical player with the ability to keep the ball and draw fouls. 

anyways. im sure skibbe is not even considering to play this system but the fact he used that in the croatia game despite us getting fcvked up because he choose the wrong players is a bit promising. and yes im talking about a 3-4-1-2 formation. 

karnezis

sokratis manolas retsos

lykogiannis samaris zeca stafylidis 

fortounis 

donis mitroglou 

and kapino, anestis, papadopoulos, oikonomou, mpakakis, koutris, torosidis, tachtsidis, kourmpelis, mantalos, pelkas, karelis and lazaros on the bench. this formation is also effective for us because with the lack of wingers we're no more going to use guys outside of their natural positions to fill this retarded 4-2-3-1. i think this team is quite ok. but on the other hand im not sure if koutris, mpakakis, pelkas, oikonomou instead of maniatis, tzavellas, tziolis, vellios, diamantakos etc....in a sane team without a corrupt federation that would be αυτονοητο but not in us..

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 3:45 PM, Boxou said:

you're wrong. it looked like that because in the 2012 and 2014 these dudes where like 35 and 37 years old. do you really expect them to hold the midfield against germany/colombia or so? 

I've seen every game while they were in their prime and our midfield did often get outplayed. This is going nowhere I really don't want to argue against 2 of the best ever Greek players here. Our best years were with Kara and Katsou, but, man, were some of those games hard to watch. 

On 11/17/2017 at 4:34 PM, Rockafeller Skank said:

Lets give any past member of the NT a shot because according to u , finishing above bosnia and losing to Croatia means were nonexistent.

Fortounis , Mantalos are better players than anything Greece had as attacking midfield since Tsiartas. Karagounis was an 8 in his good years with Ethniki.

Ninis and Fetfatzidis could be so much but they desided to be nothing.

They don't deserve a call up at all.

This Roster , at least 20 of it;'s members are much better than anything we had in the 2008 - 2014 period. 

Look at the 2010 roster

Spyropoulos? Vyndra? Malezas ? Pantelis Kapetanos?

Prittas? Who the f* is Prittas?

Look at the 2012 roster

Fotakis? Makos? Malezas again? a 36 year old Lybe?

We have a much better roster. Find me one Left Back as talented as Stafylidis offensively back then.

Find me someone to pair with Sokratis, who is as good as Manolas.

Find me an attacking midfielder like Fortounis. And someone with the career of Mitroglou.

Find me a 6 who literally can run up and down the field like Zeka or a midfielder as mobile as Samaris.

The problem. The only problem, is that the worthless teams of 2008 - 2014 had the luck to be pot 1 , pot 2 at worst on some occasions, so even when ending up in play offs, we d play with the likes of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Slovakia , Ukraine , Romania , no better team than those.

Add the fact that competition has gone upwards. Where were Belgum , Iceland , Denmark , Sweden, Switzerland 5-6 years ago?

Now these teams seem like they re unbeatable.

Competition has gone upwards and we just didn't go that way as well. Hope we can make it to the 24 team Euro. Otherwise we ll be a pot 4-5 lock up for maybe the rest of our long lives.

A great post but with all doo respect, I dont agree on every point. Mandalos is actually no better than Ninis (and plays in the same position in the NT, on the right wing while being a central attacking midfielder, thats why he is so poor against better teams). Fortounis is the only one who can be compared to Tsiartas.

And we have Manolas, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Mitroglou, Zeca, even Torosidis and Retsos, but other members of the squad are not that outstanding. They were promising, yes. Tachtsidis, Samaris, even Christodoulopoulos. But they have not developed that much. I would choose a 37-y-o Karagounis and Katsouranis even now over the likes of Kone/Mantalos/Tachtsidis.

The comments on Ninis and Fetfatzidis are very true. Incredibly, Ninis is not even thirty and has been done for years as for the Ethniki. Fetfatzidis plays in Saudi Arabia. They dont deserve a call-up.

You are right when you say Switzerland, Croatia and the likes are stronger than they were before 2012. Same goes for Belgium. (They didnt even participate at Euro 2012. Nor did Switzerland.)

Yes there were some curious members in the 2010 squad. But they were only backup players. Prittas, Malezas didnt play at all. Kapetanos got half an hour, he wasnt that bad. Spyropoulos played in the second half vs Argentina. (Yes, Karagounis shouldnt have been subbed off, especially with Katsouranis and Torosidis struggling with minor injuries - they had to be subbed off too, right after the pause - and twenty minutes after their disappearance, our defense did collapse. No wonder Patsazoglou and Ninis wernt able to save the day, we lost our leader and our potential leaders in ten minutes.) But Rehhagel could achieve something (a first win vs Nigeria, some good defending vs Argentina) with a squad like this. Yes, in 2012 we had Makos, Malezas, Lymperopoulos, Fotakis. The 2014 squad looked really good. I thought it was the best available squad.

Yes, rankings played an important role in our qualifications. Between 2010-2014, we were always in top 20. Santos lost only six games out of 54 or so. An incredible feat. And we didnt lose a single friendly with him except the Romania and South Korea game (with clearly experimental teams, especially on the former occasion - some guys like Kapino Malezas Giannoulis got their first caps ever). Friendly wins / draws were important because of the rankings, and the ranking because of the seeding. Thats why got Romania, and not Portugal or Croatia in the 2014 playoffs. Thats why we had not-too-strong qualifying groups. But now, we havent played a single friendly game since the Belarus game. I dont understand this.

Yes, we had the luck that we were pot 1 teams. But thats not only luck. Coaches like Rehhagel and Santos understood that ranking is important because we couldnt win over much stronger opponents and that we must have been seeded. We played many friendly games against opponents who were neither too strong nor wholly insignificant (so Greece could win some points with a win/draw). We worked very hard for Pot One.

That said, still it would have been a heroic feat of Skibbe if we would have qualified over Croatia. OK, he couldnt manage to do it. Bad tactics, bad formation and starting XI cost us much, of course. Maniatis, a defensive midfielder couldnt have a chance against a guy like Perisic (who plays perhaps for Internazionale). Retsos should have been RB, and Maniatis should have played instead of Tziolis/Samaris (the former has not the work rate of Maniatis, and the latter had not too much game time before the Croatia game). And, what is more important, our trusted 4-3-3 should have been used. Also we should have played more offensive, like versus Belgium in Bruxelles. The overcautiousness (is there such a word?) of Skibbe against Belgium at home and Croatia (away) did cost us much. A team like this: Karnezis - Retsos, K. Papadopoulos/Siovas (where was he?), Papastathopoulos, Tzavellas - Zeca, Fortounis, Tachtsidis/Maniatis - Christodoulopoulos, Mitroglou, Stafylidis would have been much better. Remember that before the red card of Tachtsidis (65th minute) we controlled the away game versus Belgium seemingly without a great effort. (I know it was a great effort, though.) Remember at the 2014 World Cup we played against Ivory Coast like kamikazes. We hit the bar three times before the Samaras penalty. Also there were dangerous efforts from Karagounis/Christodoulopoulos/Salpingidis that went wide. After some initial problems, Santos did find the most useful tactics. This was a concentrated defensive performance versus Russia in 2012. In 2014, he tried another approach, but always with success.

Our best years were with Rehaggel and Santos. We havent qualified for tournament since 2014. That says a lot. Christodoulopoulos and Kone were our best players at the World Cup. Along with Sokratis and Manolas. 

I still think Maniatis can be useful. He runs and has more sense with the ball than Tziolis. Tzavellas is only good for free kicks and Tziolis is not good for anything anymore. 

I hope we go with these players in Euro 2020:

Kapino, Barkas, Vlachodimos, Bakakis, Lykogiannis, Retsos, Stafylidis, Tzimikas, Sokratis (c), Manolas, Papadopoulos, Risvanis, Tachtsidis, Samaris, Kourbelis, Zeca, Fortounis, Mantalos, Androutsos, Donis, Lamprou, Mitroglou, Karelis. 

Others to mention: Pelkas, Gianniotas, Bakasetas, Katranis, Anestis, Gianniotis, Giannoulis (leftback, looks promising), Koutris, Diamantakos, Limnios, Manthatis, Galanopoulos, Chatzigiovannis, Vellios, Mavrias, Siopis. 

I'm a fan of Barkas and Tzimikas. I don't know if they will be in the squad. Probably Anestis and Koutris will. Risvanis can back up our 3 best centrebacks. I think Androutsos will make a name for himself soon. I also believe we have depth at leftback. If I were coach I would have Manthatis looked after. I would make sure he get playing time for his club. I believe he can be useful on the wing and replace Christodoulopoulos. Lamprou and Limnios was hard to decide with so I chose height. 

11 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Our best years were with Rehaggel and Santos. We havent qualified for tournament since 2014. That says a lot. Christodoulopoulos and Kone were our best players at the World Cup. Along with Sokratis and Manolas. 

I still think Maniatis can be useful. He runs and has more sense with the ball than Tziolis. Tzavellas is only good for free kicks and Tziolis is not good for anything anymore. 

I hope we go with these players in Euro 2020:

Kapino, Barkas, Vlachodimos, Bakakis, Lykogiannis, Retsos, Stafylidis, Tzimikas, Sokratis (c), Manolas, Papadopoulos, Risvanis, Tachtsidis, Samaris, Kourbelis, Zeca, Fortounis, Mantalos, Androutsos, Donis, Lamprou, Mitroglou, Karelis. 

Others to mention: Pelkas, Gianniotas, Bakasetas, Katranis, Anestis, Gianniotis, Giannoulis (leftback, looks promising), Koutris, Diamantakos, Limnios, Manthatis, Galanopoulos, Chatzigiovannis, Vellios, Mavrias, Siopis. 

I'm a fan of Barkas and Tzimikas. I don't know if they will be in the squad. Probably Anestis and Koutris will. Risvanis can back up our 3 best centrebacks. I think Androutsos will make a name for himself soon. I also believe we have depth at leftback. If I were coach I would have Manthatis looked after. I would make sure he get playing time for his club. I believe he can be useful on the wing and replace Christodoulopoulos. Lamprou and Limnios was hard to decide with so I chose height. 

Agree 100%

10 hours ago, Boxou said:

its fairly impossible to go wit some of these names above with the qualification starting in 9 months.

Why is it impossible? Like you said qualification starts in 9 months. 2 years before the world cup Samaris was playing for Panionios. We didn't even know who he was. Then 2 years later scores in his world cup debut. Anything is possible.

If we want players like Tziolis, Maniatis, Tzavellas, Diamantakos, Vellios and Bakasetas out of the starting lineup who will replace them. Sure Kourbelis, Siopis, Koutris can replace the first 3. Karelis, Donis and Pelkas can replace the other 3. But who are we going to replace these players I mentioned such as Pelkas and so on. We havent got enough depth like a Italy or Spain. Most of youngsters between 17-21 are not there yet. Unlike Retsos and Donis. I feel like we need to move this conversation onto another topic. 

i have posted before my ideal squad and the player pool. here it is in case you missed it.

gks; karnezis, kapino, anestis, vlachodimos(?), gianniotis

side backs; torosidis, stafylidis, lykogiannis, mpakakis, koutris

centre backs; sokratis, manolas, papadopoulos, retsos, siovas, oikonomou

dmfs; samaris, tachtsidis, kourmpelis, zeca, petsos

amfs; fortounis, mantalos, pelkas, mpakasetas

sts; mitroglou, donis, karelis, lazaros

these are the players that can contribue at the moment. the rest have not proved it yet. most of them will be around post 2020. 

• 2 weeks later...

Times are getting tough for Mitro, hasn't started any of the last 3 games (came off the bench once) 

Has only scored twice in the league since coming across from Benfica. Looks like its gonna take an injury or a big performance from him off the bench to get his starting spot back

we know what he is capable of. he's not any upcoming talent, vice versa basically, he has already reached his peak and next year he will be 30. i care more about stafylidis and his next team in january, kapino and the rest of the players who are going to be around in the next decade. 

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/France/Ligue1/marseille/dixase-ta-apodythria-ths-marseig-o-mhtrogloy-kai-feugei.5020584.html

Pressure continues to mount on Mitroglou, French press reporting his manager wants to loan him out for for the rest of the season. He was subbed off the other day in the 60th min in a cup game and was apparently jeered off by the fans. The score was 0-0 at the time, Marseille ended up winning 1-0 in extra time against a mid table 2nd division side. 

9 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/France/Ligue1/marseille/dixase-ta-apodythria-ths-marseig-o-mhtrogloy-kai-feugei.5020584.html

Pressure continues to mount on Mitroglou, French press reporting his manager wants to loan him out for for the rest of the season. He was subbed off the other day in the 60th min in a cup game and was apparently jeered off by the fans. The score was 0-0 at the time, Marseille ended up winning 1-0 in extra time against a mid table 2nd division side. 

I know, Marseille is just not the team for him, they are holding back his chance to improve and develop, and he's losing his confidence. Do you know which clubs want to loan him? 

Edited by PanagiotisScordis

I dont know why the whole fuss about him from the fans. It's not his fault he is static. The Marseille ownership failed miserably in his situation by buying a static φορ περιοχής που λέμε και στο χωριό μου while the whole last season and preseason was with Germaine and Njie who are both the type of striker that can run for a ball in space. Whole team doesn't know how to play with him, it;s not only him not producing for f*ck sake. These are the things that will make his confidence fall with the fans and his teammates mumbling about him.

We knew he finds it difficult to adapt (Fuhlam/Benfica) It took him time to settle in Benfica if any1 remembers. But waiting to buy a player who misses the whole preseason and ends up doing nothing should not be a surprise for them.

I think he ll be given his chances maybe next season or maybe after January trainings.

EDIT: about the teammate backstabing him and saying bad things about Mitroglou they re all literally whos. Their team is not as good as they/we thought and they re looking for the easy excuse.

From the current Roster only 2 players have appeared in a World Cup. One is Mandanda in 2010 when France didn't make it past the Groupstages( he didn't EVEN play 1 min) and the other one was Luiz Gustavo who was eating sh!t from the Brazilians for the mediocre to bad performances in the WC 2014.

Calling a World Cup attender who has won so many titles with Benfica ( I know I know , Portugal has no team like PSG but cmon Marseille arent even finishing 2nd or 3rd) a bad quality player is literally unthinkable.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

• Argy changed the title to Kostas Mitroglou ‒ Olympique de Marseille
  • Argy pinned and unpinned this topic
On 3/2/2018 at 2:37 AM, La Mendel said:

He scored in a 6-3 win against Metz, thats his third league goal in the season. It was not a difficult task because the net was empty but at least it can boost up his confidence a bit. So far he has scored 3 goals in 11 appearances.

Just scored hat-trick he scored today in their cup game. 7 goals on total with marseille so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Argy changed the title to Kostas Mitroglou ‒ Olympique de Marseille
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Kostas Mitroglou ‒ (now playing for Aris)
  • Tzatziki locked this topic