Phantis Forums

Kostas Mitroglou ‒ (now playing for Aris)

js1000

I really hope he does well at his new club, the type of place that Marseilles is could be an ideal fit for Mitro, and if he finds the net like he did at Benfica the fans will make him a local hero. With even half decent service he will be a key squad member I have no doubt, he has the killer instinct every club wants in a CF, he always did, even when he was young and crazy. I remember he sealed a title (the one we also won on paper) for Olympiakos against Larissa I believe like the last matchday or second to last with a goal he scored, he was like barely into his 20s or maybe younger.

Here's the video...his goal was in the 90th minute! Did not remember that, what a clutch finish he had that day. He was so young, did not even have any of his tatoos yet, and no signs of that beard of his.

• Like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

The good thing with Mitroglou is that he is a killer.

The bad thing is that he is already 30 and we still haven't had any promise to come after him in the CenterForward position.

He's 29 and still has 3 good years left the way he plays. Donis, although not the same kind of player, is very promising as a forward. 

4 hours ago, georgelaz said:

mitroglou is a product of German academies.

Donis is a product of Italian academies.

the only thing greek academies have been able to produce is CB's.

we have the talent but not the academies.

Yeah that is true but also Ninis and Fetfatzidis were from Panathinaikos and Olympiakos academies. They are our best technical players. Other technical players like Pelkas and Gianniotas are good aswell but Ninis and Fetfatzidis are the best we have technically.

3 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Yeah that is true but also Ninis and Fetfatzidis were from Panathinaikos and Olympiakos academies. They are our best technical players. Other technical players like Pelkas and Gianniotas are good aswell but Ninis and Fetfatzidis are the best we have technically.

unfortunately they're out of the picture and I think they were more raw talent than actual good training but I cant be sure.

it's a shame because Ninis and Mitroglou had the best chemistry. Fortounis and Mitroglou do not.

21 hours ago, georgelaz said:

mitroglou is a product of German academies.

Donis is a product of Italian academies.

the only thing greek academies have been able to produce is CB's.

we have the talent but not the academies.

your argument makes sense only about mitroglou who along with cholevas are the only diaspora players we have had for like 10 years or so. donis was born and raised in greece and juventus scouted him so he moved there. it's not that he was born and raised in italy to claim that. do you know how many kids around the world move to big academies every year? 

On 11/14/2017 at 10:01 PM, pash said:

Hahaha Ninis. The boy wonder. Is his face showing up on milk cartons yet?

I would still give him another shot with the NT if he plays for his club. Our attacking midfield with Fortounis and Mantalos is nonexistant. How much worse can it actually get? 

Edit: He only played once this year for his Israeli club...

Edited by Argy

Lets give any past member of the NT a shot because according to u , finishing above bosnia and losing to Croatia means were nonexistent.

Fortounis , Mantalos are better players than anything Greece had as attacking midfield since Tsiartas. Karagounis was an 8 in his good years with Ethniki.

Ninis and Fetfatzidis could be so much but they desided to be nothing.

They don't deserve a call up at all.

This Roster , at least 20 of it;'s members are much better than anything we had in the 2008 - 2014 period. 

Look at the 2010 roster

Spyropoulos? Vyndra? Malezas ? Pantelis Kapetanos?

Prittas? Who the f* is Prittas?

Look at the 2012 roster

Fotakis? Makos? Malezas again? a 36 year old Lybe?

We have a much better roster. Find me one Left Back as talented as Stafylidis offensively back then.

Find me someone to pair with Sokratis, who is as good as Manolas.

Find me an attacking midfielder like Fortounis. And someone with the career of Mitroglou.

Find me a 6 who literally can run up and down the field like Zeka or a midfielder as mobile as Samaris.

The problem. The only problem, is that the worthless teams of 2008 - 2014 had the luck to be pot 1 , pot 2 at worst on some occasions, so even when ending up in play offs, we d play with the likes of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Slovakia , Ukraine , Romania , no better team than those.

Add the fact that competition has gone upwards. Where were Belgum , Iceland , Denmark , Sweden, Switzerland 5-6 years ago?

Now these teams seem like they re unbeatable.

Competition has gone upwards and we just didn't go that way as well. Hope we can make it to the 24 team Euro. Otherwise we ll be a pot 4-5 lock up for maybe the rest of our long lives.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 2

7 minutes ago, Argy said:

Greece finished second in the group in spite of their attacking midfield, not because of it. 

Fortounis and Mantalos are nothing for the Greek NT. 

You are wrong.

Fortounis is worthy in the NT. Im pretty sure Fortounis assisted more than anyone else in the team. In a campaign where we scored more than we previously did.

So would Mantalos be if he played a more central position.

3 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

You are wrong.

Fortounis is worthy in the NT.

So would Mantalos be if he played a more central position.

They are worthy and I want to see them excel. They are probably talented enough, but they are consistently outclassed by opposing midfields, and look even worse because they have no presence around the box and seem to have no creative cell in their bodies. 

Edited by Argy

Dude.

Fortounis is Fortounis he is not Messi

80% of our attacking situations you only see 2 max 3 players in the box against a defence of how many ? 4 ? 5? I doubt even Messi can score easily on those situations.

Fortounis is talented enough to make the unexpected pass to both Mitroglou and Donis, considering the first is a killer striker but static, while Donis is a pacey dribbling beast with his shooting not to be tested yet. 

The fact that Leipzig , Besiktas arestill eyeing Fortounis and the fact that Leipzig has sent scouts in 4 games for Frotounis so far (Bercelona home , Croatia home - away , gonna be in Sporting as well) probably speaks for itself. Hopefully once he goes there he decides to up his work rate coz he has the fonds to be a good 10 in a top league. Nothing too legendary to be attached on , but not just a 10 in the puny Greek League.

Did Karagounis look below average too ? Im not asking u based on  his career and the NT working well when he was our captain and doing excellently.

Im asking you honestly.

A greece scoring 12 goals in 10 matches vs Slovakia , Bosnia ,  Latvia , Lithuania , Liechtenstein ,1 of them being an own goal and 1 of them being a penalty. Did Karagounis seem above average with Greece?

No. Now go tell me that Karagounis was not NT material. Go on.

Karagounis and Katsouranis did often look average and have been outplayed. We have always had problems in the midfield, but we had decent wingplay from the fullbacks and wingers, which covered up our deficiencies. Karagounis was NT material, he played some great games, but memory is selective and we tend to only remember the good times. Bottom line, we need to see much more from our midfield. We have no presence, no confidence and no ability to possess the ball fluently. Did you see with what ease Croatia's midfield was controlling the game, winning balls, keeping possession? Fortounis is on the pitch and it seems like most of the time he's praying not to get a pass. 

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 1

• Argy changed the title to Kostas Mitroglou ‒ Olympique de Marseille
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Kostas Mitroglou ‒ (now playing for Aris)
  • Tzatziki pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Tzatziki locked this topic