Phantis Forums

Kostas Mitroglou ‒ (now playing for Aris)

js1000

Mitroglou is at Benfica for this season on loan from Fulham so there might not be a next season with Benfica. If he keeps scoring goals regularly & stays injury free there won't be a shortage of clubs wanting him for the 2016/2017 season. Fulham & Benfica would be playing cat & mouse at the moment. Fulham are trying to get back as much as they can for what they had paid Olympiacos for Mitroglou, thinking his value might go up with each goal he scores at Benfica. On the other hand Benfica are looking for a bargain & not wanting to spend anything near what Fulham paid for him.

• Like it 1

yeah I thought I remember reading something about a 2 year deal actually? dunno

Benfica is proving to be a heaven for Greek players. Karagounis, Katsouranis, Samaris, now Mitroglou

Roma is the Italian heaven lol. Manolas, Holebas, Dellas, Torosidis.

Edited by georgelaz

Benfica is listed as the 6th best club in Europe. Mitroglou is tearing it up as a starter most of the time for the 6th best club in Europe. He's their 2nd best striker, behind Jonas.

Makes me very happy. Hopefully we can get our midfield right to feed him. Tachtsidis, Samaris, Fortounis I think can do a good job.

I think Vellios is more effective for our national team. At Benfica, Mitrogou has some of the best wingers on his left and right... without them he's not effective (very slow too). Vellios on the other hand singlehandedly carries Iraklis through the Superleague. He's fast, very strong, very tall, and has a hell of a shot. Also he's young, and it's important to invest into our youth rather than waste our time with Mitroglou who scores a goal every 2 years for Greece

• Like it 1

^nice goal indeed , seems in the same match he could have scored another but i read here that jonas stole the goal. but they later made peace.

https://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=pt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abola.pt%2Fclubes%2Fver.aspx%3Ft%3D3%26id%3D594299

he also refused a great offer from china to play there , saying its to early to play in such a league.

https://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=pt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dn.pt%2Fdesporto%2Fbenfica%2Finterior%2Fgrego-mitroglou-recusou-milhoes-para-rumar-a-china-4998762.html

• Like it 2

China, the Middle East and Australia is a grave yard for decent quality players like Mitroglou. He is right to pass on any move. When he's in his early 30s he should consider it.

If a player like Bruno Fornaroli can be considered the best player to play in the A-League after being a total failure in Greece, then Mitro would score about 30 goals in Australia.

• Like it 2

Mitroglou will have to be huge for us to do some damage for World Cup.

I'm confident this campaign, he's got the goods.

His refusal to China is a sign of ambition. 

The good thing about Mitro as a striker is that his skills are less eroded by age. 

Pace is most affected with age, which Mitro never really excelled at. 

Strength / Technique however grows up to 35. Which Mitro has in spades. 

Sexy heel goal.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

China, the Middle East and Australia is a grave yard for decent quality players like Mitroglou. He is right to pass on any move. When he's in his early 30s he should consider it.

If a player like Bruno Fornaroli can be considered the best player to play in the A-League after being a total failure in Greece, then Mitro would score about 30 goals in Australia.

I agree with your post in general....

however, I would not put the 'lure' of China/Middle East in the same category as ALeague....

China/Middle East pay extraordinary amounts of money to entice players...... ALeague pays very moderate..even for 'marquee' players..

For example Oly/paok/aek would pay Mitro a lot more than he would get as 'marquee' in ALeague..yet probably 25% of what he could demand in China/Middle East..

• Like it 2

I agree with your post in general....

however, I would not put the 'lure' of China/Middle East in the same category as ALeague....

China/Middle East pay extraordinary amounts of money to entice players...... ALeague pays very moderate..even for 'marquee' players..

For example Oly/paok/aek would pay Mitro a lot more than he would get as 'marquee' in ALeague..yet probably 25% of what he could demand in China/Middle East..

so why does any quality player go to the A-league?

They dont want to. The a-league is almost the step after the middle east/asia point of these big name players careers. Look at the history of the big names who have come to the aleague. Robbie fowler 34-35, gallas 36-37, Even del pieiro who was a HUGE signing name wise came at 38.

These players perhaps with the exception of Del piero go to the aleague when they cant get the money/offer they want in Asia/middle east and are very desperate to scrap another year or 2 of professional football. Even Luis Garcia who has now signed for Central coast is 36-37? And hasnt played professionally in like 2 years. 

Occasionally in modern football we will see a european based player who is money hungry go to the middle east chasing cash far before he is in the twilight of his career. Assomah Gyan, Weiss, Stoch are a few who spring to  mind, and we all know the story with Samara and Fetfa. That will never happen in the aleague, not enough $$ to lure those sorts

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 1

they essentially come here at the end of career 35+

who was the last quality player to come here under the age of 35?

and came here not for the 'novelty factor'?? or to wind down...

a player like Janko or Yorke came here a bit younger off the back of poor seasons in Europe...but where fortunate enough to find touch in their first year then returned immediately, as they realised they had more to offer.

the rest end up like Koren, Holosko Contreras etc.... 

occasionally a player like Novillo will come here much younger because he may have been at crossroads in his career(injuries. bad luck etc).....and could easily play at higher level..

Who an earth is going to put the ball across the box for him besides Xolebas, Fortounis or Torisidis? We do not have the infrastructure to allow Mitroglou enough chances to get going.

The last 3 or 4 games Mantalos has been starting to show his class. If he keeps it up he can provide the service Mitroglou needs.

• Like it 1

• Argy changed the title to Kostas Mitroglou ‒ Olympique de Marseille
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Kostas Mitroglou ‒ (now playing for Aris)
  • Tzatziki pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Tzatziki locked this topic