Phantis Forums

Ioannis Fetfatzidis ‒ (Now Playing for Aris)

js1000

Because playing football is a job , you go were the highest salary is going to be.

Throw in injuries and this creates uncertainty about how many years you have left as player.

At 24 the development phase is over.

I hope he can still help our national team , because we don't have many with his creativity.

Edited by nasl

it really annoyed me when he didnt play as much in Olympiakos he was such a good player. I always thought that Greece have never and will never produce a player of the qualities of the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Zidane until i saw this player i was amazed of the things he could do everything he does is sharp, technical, skillfull and flair. I believe he has the mixture of these players. He's got the technical ability of Messi the skill of Ronaldo and the flair of Ronaldinho and Zidane. I thought when he was 20-21 he was going to be 'our' player in the future. But things occured in his career what ever they were i believe he is unlucky in his whole career.

Exactly. However, he is set to make himself ?10 million over the course of a 2+2 contract if the reports are correct. Great for his finances but very little for his career or what most of us expected of his career.

Can you imagine if he continues to be selected for the NT and whilst mingling with his NT colleagues during the training camps he starts selling the benefits of playing in a soft league earning huge money? He'll have most of the squad wanting their agents to find them clubs in the Gulf immediately!

What's that going to do to the limited talent pool we currently have?

Like I stated previously, he shouldn't be selected for the Ethniki until he's playing in Europe again. Even if it's for a club like Panthrakikos or Giannena.

I don't see Fetfatzidis as selling out his career. That's a hell of a lot of money for any Pro to make in a less stressful environment where he will get to play albeit vs much inferior opposition

Like why would he give all that money up anyway ? He's been a pro for 5-6 years now and was never more than a part time player on any team and was coached by over a dozen different ones who all of them never rated him as a starter or a crucial player long term.

The desert league suits him well. Good for him. Not his fault that a certain fraction of fans thinks he's an idiot or has never worked hard enough to justify his potential. They expected a lot more out of him that he expected from himself. Many less talented football players would die to be in the same situation Fetfatzidis finds himself in right now.

I still think he's one a trick pony player. Flatter to deceive. Crap players

I think that Fetfatzidis had enough of not playing games and not being wanted, that his mentality changed from being a player that wants the cash more than the notice i think he is tired of this cause he knows how good he is but he hasn't had enough opportunities to show it. So he said im sick of this. Only explanation i can think of.

I have never doubted his worth to the NT....As the NT lacks the quick feet dribbling attacking player...especially against weaker opposition when we don't create enough chances....

osfp lack of youth development has no bearing on Fetfa's outcome...He was given chances by all coaches as were Vlaxodimos and Kolovos....these guys are not Osfp UCL quality...nor is Fetfa consistently enough...

Mirallas, Abdoun, Afellay, Fuster etc and many others in the past few years...have come to play in the big games....the high pressing, high intensity, 'physical intent' that Valeverde, Jardim and Michel  wanted to play v the big boys...does not fit in with Fetfa's DNA and skill set.....it's not part of a bigger osfp lack of youth development over 456 years issue..

• Like it 1

sorry buddy, i have to pick a fight with you again.

think about what you wrote. think about the same place samaras was already exiled to is where fetfa decided to move. fetfa had a hernia and his season was lost. what did georgie have? an extended summer vacation?

as far as slapi. poor ninis, blamed for a german LB scoring from 20+ yards out. "we could have won that match, ninis F***ed up" "we play counters and we track back, that is santos' system". 

yeah, ok. manolas & karnezis F***ed up in 2014 when the colombian LB was in the greek box.and the tracker-backer extraordinaire was doing what? what was salpi doing? which goal was more pathetic? i just watched an oscar winning movie about maniatis and what were maniatis & kats doing? do they know how to mark space?? maniatis answered that question again against CR, his oscar was in comedy for his mini temper tantrum kicking his feet like a girl.

so, fetfa going to saudi for the 2015-2016 season establishes why samaras & salpi were selected over fetfa at the 2012 euro & 2014 WC??

Salpingidis was an important member of the team after 2008, he was a regular in the three last tournaments. He arguably was one of our best performers in 2010 at WC and at the Euro 2 years later, he scored 3 goals in that two tournaments (and he gave an assist to Samaras against Germany in the quarter finals). He scored our first World Cup goal ever, he was our first player who scored at both great tournaments. As for the qualification, he scored that single goal at the play-off vs Ukraine, and score again a very important goal against Romania in 2013. He worked usually a lot and took an active part in our defending. From time to time Ninis was given a chance in place of him as a winger but more often than not he failed on important matches. Then the same happened with Fetfatzidis, in the end Salpingidis always secured his place as a starting member in the Ethniki because he turned out to be more reliable and took a greater share in our successes in the last 6 or 7 years.

As for Samaras, he certainly wasnt 24-y-o when he played on loan for some months in Saudi Arabia. Before that move, he achieved great results on club and on national team level too. He played regularly for Celtic, won n-times the Scottish first league, scored several goals in the Champions League. He was in the starting eleven in the Ethniki too, scored important goals (vs Croatia in 2011 or vs Ivory Coast in 2014), and gave great assists, for example in 2009 against Ukraine. He had a share in our first World Cup win ever against Nigeria, then he was a crucial member of the team at Euro 2012 and WC 2014 when the team reached the second round. He excelled against Russia in 2012, then gave an assist and scored the winning goal against IC in 2014 on the vital group stage matches at the last two great tournament. He played more than 80 times for Greece, and was usually solid (no wonder he wasnt replaced practically since 2008).

Fetfatzidis is much more younger than Samaras was in January when he moved to Saudi Arabia, and his achievement with the NT is compared to that of Samaras almost zero. At Euro 2012 he didnt play at all, and wasnt a regular member even in 2014 (he played half an hour against Colombia, and after the mediocre performance of Salpingidis on that occasion he was in the starting XI against Japan but was subbed out after 41 minutes, than perhaps he didnt play at all). He performed a few times fairly well and scored 3 goals on cca 20 matches, but he didnt contribute much to our successes so far. On club level he played for a couple of Serie A teams and was better in Italy than our former saviour Ninis but he never played regularly for any of them if I remember correct. He signed a 3-years contract now, that means he will play in Saudi Arabia until he will be 27 years old. So there is a great difference between his going to Al Ahli and the same move of Samaras (and he was only for a short time there).

• Like it 1

I think it was not Salpingidis fault on the first goal it was in  my opinion Holebas fault, the cross should have never came in 2nd on the list of whos fault it was is Manolas should have cleared that and finally Karnezis. It was no way Salpingidis fault out of all people you should be blaming the right back Torosidis.

But man, your posts are predictable. Rehhagel, Santos, Katsouranis or Karagounis is the villain (or two or three or all of them).

A few examples: "the only fight he got out of me was when otto put charisteas wide, when we had stelios, amantidis and sammy. i blamed otto, not charisteas." "it wasn't kats & maniatis fault who failed to mark space and clear the square ball or super-salpi, who failed to track armero?" "all in all, a few of us wondered if fetfa was better off in the CM, but santos never used derby matches against lithuania or luxembourg to find out."

Salpingidis: At the end of the day, Salpingidis didnt shine against Colombia, and was on consequence replaced by Fetfatzidis. What did he do in that 30 minutes? Practically nothing. Two weeks earlier (vs Portugal) Salpingidis seemed far more stronger than vs Colombia. He chased memorably Nani for 30 metres or so, and eventually tackled him. Also it is easy to see why Santos chose him after he seemed to be in good form (although I must add Fetfatzidis - who was then subbed in and created our best chance - played better too as against Colombia).

So why should have Santos started Fetfatzidis? He did nothing neither before the World Cup nor at the World Cup (nor after that by the way) that would have explained such a move. Salpingidis was very useful in the qualifying matches, scored the winning goal vs Slovakia, vs Latvia, scored against Liechtenstein and Romania (except the first, these goals were scored in 2013), performed well against prior the World Cup (that means one or 2 weeks before), it was an evident decision by Santos to start him vs Colombia.

Salpi is a legend, for obvious reasons.  And he should no longer be in the team, for obvious reasons.  What's odd about Salpi is how he even got to be a forward in the first place.  Technically, he's never been gifted.  If I had a young Salpi, I'd have him in the middle of the park all day clocking up those miles, and taking advantage of his best attribute, his tenacity.

Fetfatzidis better get his head out of his arse soon because he doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the NT.  I don't care how technically brilliant he is with the ball at his feet.  I know plenty of guys like that down at the local park who still have a semblance of "the skills" but could never make it past a certain level.  The "kid" has basically warmed benches most of his career and now he's in nowhere land.

If we include players like him in the NT, lord help us.

* The above is just my opinion.

• Like it 1

Salpi is a legend, for obvious reasons.  And he should no longer be in the team, for obvious reasons.  What's odd about Salpi is how he even got to be a forward in the first place.  Technically, he's never been gifted.  If I had a young Salpi, I'd have him in the middle of the park all day clocking up those miles, and taking advantage of his best attribute, his tenacity.

Fetfatzidis better get his head out of his arse soon because he doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the NT.  I don't care how technically brilliant he is with the ball at his feet.  I know plenty of guys like that down at the local park who still have a semblance of "the skills" but could never make it past a certain level.  The "kid" has basically warmed benches most of his career and now he's in nowhere land.

If we include players like him in the NT, lord help us.

* The above is just my opinion.

I dont agree with that rating of Salpingidis, I think he still has in the tank, as a center too, for that matter. I would choose him now over Fetfatzidis, Ninis or Kolovos (another Greek Messi whom we could admire against the Faroe Islands), but the evaluation of Fetfatzidis is unfortunately correct, he is essentially a Ninis 2.0.

Edited by La Mendel

Yeah, I should have explained myself better.  I still see a place for Salpi in the squad.  But never as a starter.  If you need a goal and want to throw another body forward, or even just to defend a lead, he still has a place.  And I suppose he'd good for squad morale as well.  Making him captain was a mistake as well as it implies he's a starter.

• Like it 1

It is true, the team was horrible for several months. Some of the players hasnt the heart + guts the former team possessed. When I say former players I dont think on Karagounis alone. Katsouranis, Moras, Tziolis, Vyntra, Tavlaridis played at least with passion (that could be seen clearly versus Poland). The same goes with players like Salpingidis, Gekas, Avraam, Samaras, Spyropoulos, they could put up a decent fight. We need first of all a decent coach who chooses a better match strategy and plays competent players.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well if he has the intensity of a declawed cat and is unwilling to focus on his defensive part of the game that's demanded in modern European football then all the tricks on the ball, the little shimmy and nutmegs wont get you anywhere but to a bush league full of sand.

He belongs where he's at right now.

He's not exactly 18-20 years old where one can easily say that he can work on his concentration and with more experience his confidence will turn into aggression to make him a compete player etc.

I don't even see Fetfa as wasting his talent like some think here think he does. He earns great money playing a sport for a living. The cream of the crop in World football play for the big clubs. Many of those don't possess his ball skills but are miles ahead of him in every other aspect of the game.

• Like it 1

• Lazarus changed the title to Ioannis Fetfatzidis ‒ Al-Khor SC, Qatar
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Ioannis Fetfatzidis ‒ (Now Playing for Aris)
  • Argy locked this topic
  • Lazarus unlocked this topic