Phantis Forums

Liechtenstein V Greece

js1000

this is the 24 man squad for our up coming qualifier in Liechtenstein

Goalkeepers: Orestis Karnezis (Granada), Michalis Sifakis (Atromitos)

Defenders: Jose Holebas (Olympiakos), Costas Manolas (Olympiakos), sokratis Papastathopoulos (Borussia Dortmund), Dimitris Siovas (Olympiakos), Nikos Spyropoulos (PAOK), Vassilis Torosidis (Roma), Loukas Vyntra (Levante)

Midfielders: Yiannis Fetfatzidis (Olympiakos), Kostas Fortounis (Kaiserslautern), Giorgos Karagounis (Fulham), Costas Katsouranis (PAOK), Panayiotis Kone (Bologna), Yiannis Maniatis (Olympiakos), Sotiris Ninis (PAOK), Panagiotis Tachtsidis(Catania), Alexandros Tziolis(PAOK), Lazaros Christodoulopoulos (Bologna)

Forwards: Stefanos Athanasiadis (PAOK), Costas Mitroglou (Olympiakos), Dimitris Papadopoulos (Atromitos), Dimitris Salpingidis (PAOK), Georgios Samaras (Celtic)

i cannot believe dimitris papadopoulos is back in the squad, shocking selection would have preferred to see kolovos no yuri lodigin again despite karnezis being only a sub for Granada. 

any thoughts?? 

Tzavellas has replaced Spyropoulos in the squad, also Lodigin has decided to turn his back on greece and represent russia, gutted really because he has been outstanding so far this season for zenit, and we're short of options in goal specially with karnezis being on the bench at Granada.

I knew about Lodigin's decision a couple of months back.

Dimi is in great form and that's why he's back in the squad after 6 years. Considering the opposition - Liechtenstein - I would have preferred a proven killer - Gekas - to kill the game by half-time.

LIECHTENSTEIN

1 Jehle(GK)

3 Oehri

5 Quintans

6 Stocklasa

7 Hasler

10 Frick(Captain)

11 Burgmeier

18 Hasler

19 Christen

20 Wieser

23 Polverino

BENCH

12 Bicer(GK)

8 Gubser

9 Beck

14 Christen

15 Wolfinger

17 Guer

21 Yildiz

22 Eris

Manager: Rene Pauritsch(AUT)

GREECE

1 Karnezis(GK)

2 Maniatis

5 Siovas

8 Kone

9 Mitroglou

15 Torosidis

16 Christodoulopoulos

19 Papastathopoulos

20 Holebas

21 Katsouranis(Captain)

23 Tachtsidis

BENCH

13 Sifakis(GK)

3 Tzavelas

4 Manolas

6 Tziolis

10 Karagounis

11 Vyntra

14 Fetfatzidis

17 Papadopoulos

18 Ninis

22 Fortounis

Manager: Fernando Santos(POR)

Didn't see the game but at least they came out with the 3 points.

For Greece to win the group, Slovakia must beat or tie B-H again next week as they B-H has a huge advantage on goal differential.

Greece should beat Latvia at home in their next game.

Didn't think B-H would lose another point the rest of the way but that's why they play the games. In the longer run I still wonder if Greece is better off coming in second and playing the 2nd part of the Euro-qualifiers. Sure it may mean that they could lose out to another team and not qualify, but it would also solidify the team for the world cup if they put things together.

I'd like to see a competitive team for the World Cup, not a team that fills out the schedule.

Group G Standings

Bosnia-Herzegovina-16

Greece-16

Slovakia-12

Latvia-7

Lithuania-5

Liechtenstein-2

If the Bosnians drop a point in Slovakia Tuesday, which is possible, we're golden.

Archived