Phantis Forums

Ert Shutting Down In Greece

The bill for NERIT was voted through Parliament on Friday. Initially 580 workers will be hired, and once the new broadcaster is set up it will have a total of around 2,000 employes. Let's see what happens with ERT now that the NERIT bill was approved. The old ERT workers are still occupying the building and broadcasting their own signal. EDT has been broadcasting its (basic) programing from a private studio.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_19/07/2013_510395

Initially 580 workers will be hired, and once the new broadcaster is set up it will have a total of around 2,000 employes.

2000 employees still seems like an excessive amount to me, especially considering that under this plan that was just approved they will be eliminating 1 TV station and several radio stations- why do they need so many employees?!  So much for the so-called reforms, looks like more of the same to me.

The old ERT workers are still occupying the building and broadcasting their own signal.

Why don't they force them out, they are staging an illegal protest or is that sort of thing allowed in Greece?!  I guess they don't want to make the situation any worse but they can't go occupying the building forever.

Why don't they force them out, they are staging an illegal protest or is that sort of thing allowed in Greece?!  I guess they don't want to make the situation any worse but they can't go occupying the building forever.

I think you are right, they don't want the situation to get any worse. If they try forcing them out with police force, it will get so dramatic and get a lot of media attention. They should start enforcing the cut off of their utilities IMO.

I can't believe the old ert workers are still doing daily newscasts without getting paid. The newscasts are just as good as before.

http://www3.ebu.ch/cms/en/sites/ebu/contents/news/2013/06/monitor-ert-online.html

Yeah but where was their sense of journalistic duty when they were on strike every week and did not put out news programing? Sometimes even for a few days in a row. Now that their jobs are actually in danger, the whole sense of journalistic duty thing has overtaken them.... :gr: But of course it is just all a PR game. They are showing the public that they "care" even if they have no support from the government. Too little too late IMO. They need to accept the fact that it is over for them, and agree to the deal the government is offering them. (Early retirement for older workers, substantial compensation for younger workers or an advantage for a job at NERIT for current workers.)

This all could have been done w/o shutting down the network.

The new network will have 2000 employees? I thought the government argued that ERT had too many employees at a little over 2600 and wanted to reduce it to 1000.

Aren't they contradicting themselves? :gr:

• 4 weeks later...

EDT started live programing with a morning news show this week, and launched yet another new logo. The EBU has cut their support to ERT now that EDT produces live programing. A number of former ERT employees are still not backing down though, and pledge to keep fighting.  http://www3.ebu.ch/cms/en/sites/ebu/contents/news/2013/08/greece-ebu-looking-forward-not-b.html

• 2 weeks later...

There is no website for EDT, and I doubt there will be one until NERIT opens. The only reason EDT is even on the air right now is to fulfill a court order. They are only doing the bare minimum to fufill the court order and try to further their attempts to launch NERIT. (For example ERT employees lost EBU help when EDT started broadcasting live programing) Since the initial work contracts for EDT are for two month terms, it is assumed that they plan to launch NERIT by the end October. But since the ERT employees are still occupying the old studios with no signs of giving up their fight, one has to believe that NERIT will be delayed even longer.

By the way, the first newscast was broadcast this week. I believe there is only one a day so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived