Phantis Forums

Katidis Banned For Life

Lazarus

o-GIORGOS-KATIDIS-570.jpg?6

EPO bans Katidis for life from any and all National Team competitions because he celebrated his goal with a Nazi salute

Watch on Daily Motion

The 20-year-old Katidis pleaded ignorance of the meaning of his gesture ? right arm extended and hand straightened. He claimed on his Twitter account that he detests fascism.

He claimed this and then that. Yesterday he wrote on Twitter that the move is also something Golden Dawn does, and that he did it because he thought the crowd would cheer harder ... (?).

Then he says "I didn't know what the gesture meant". If this is true then too bad but you're still an imbecile for making gestures you don't know the meaning of in a place where thousands (and via camera) hundreds of thousands can see.

Anyway, good riddance, I really think this is an overrated (thus probably overpaid) player.

Here's an article on it in Greek: http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/663633

Katidis could face punishment from his club or the Super League although AEK's German coach Ewald Lienen leapt to his defence.

'He is a young kid who does not have any political ideas. He most likely saw such a salute on the Internet or somewhere else and did it without knowing what it means,' he said.

'I am 100 per cent sure Giorgos did not know what he did. He was crying in the dressing room seeing the reaction.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2294586/Pictured-Nazi-salute-goal-celebration-sparks-race-storm.html#ixzz2NnxScuXS

I also heard the AEK can be fined and even lose the game (3 valuable points) because of this.

Does the right to  "free speech" exist in this case, an athletic event? This ignorant man (he's not a kid) should have the right to own beliefs no matter how stupid, vile they are. However, I don't think this is the venue to do it.

The sports scene in Greece is deplorable. I know we had long and hot conversations on this a few years back here. I said then that this sport should not be surrendered to animals or hooligans because it makes a good ..atmosphere. Fanaticism and violence, and diserspect don't belong in a sport much less in a society that wants to call itself civilized.

Have you heard what the organized fans of each team sing, yell at the refs, players, etc?  {if I weren't afraid Lazarus would ban me for life from this, I'd repeat some of those expressions}

Everyone seems to want to judge him without so much as giving the kid a chance to defend himself. He should be made to explain himself before any judgement is passed.

Btw, A ban for life is utterly ridiculous. A yellow or red card during the game would have been much more appropriate with EPO deciding whether to add a suspension as well.

Incidentally, this is not a court of law: ignorance is a plausible defence.

honestly, i never liked this kid to begin with.  19-20 year olds who are just starting their career should not be fixated on their looks, their hair, their tattoos, their clothes, watches etc.  i never expected him to turn into much bc his attitude appears to be all wrong.  i knew one day his talent would be washed away by his poor attitude.  i see alot of young greek players who are now professionals (more through necessity than ability) who act like him and think their sh*t doesnt stink bc they play pro football.  hopefully he serves as an example to these kids.

to plead ignorance in this case is stupid.  he is 20 years old, not 15.  if he didnt know what that meant, than instead of football, he should be attending grammar school. i dont think he meant it as a facist/nazi salute, i doubt he is either.  he just thought it would make him look cool, to take his shirt off, show his tattoos and act like a tough guy.  

serious mistakes warrant serious consequences, which i believe should and will come. but i also believe in second chances.  he is young and has alot to learn about the world.  a life time ban from the ethniki before even any judgement proceedings is a bit pre-mature and unwarranted.  ban him for the rest of the season and make him pay a fat prostimo.  if they find true malice in his actions, extend the ban.

aek also should not be punished bc of one players personal stupidity. its unfair to the team and especially the fans, who have a history as refugees and obviously very much disagree with his actions.  

i've just seen the video and if thats a ban for life then EPO are a huge joke, eric cantona kicked a supporter in the face and didn't get a ban for life, what punishment did nikopolidis get for his kung fu kick on a PAOK supporter ? I suppose its politically correct to punish him like this, destroy his career and future.

Does the right to "free speech" exist in this case, an athletic event?

I don't think professional athletes have such rights. They surrender those rights as soon as they sign a contract, on the dotted line. Their actions and/or words are subject to the league's rules of conduct. At least that's the way it is in the US. Without being 100% certain, I suspect the same rules would apply to UEFA and FIFA.

I sure hope AEK isn't going to lose points over this. I do agree however that banning him for life without hearing the guy is an overreaction. But him being at the age of 20, I find it very hard to believe he did not know what the gesture meant.

On a sidenote, this is the same guy that was praised by a lot of people just days earlier for his cooperation with the AEK anti-bullying campaign.

Anyway I do stand by what I wrote in that I think he wouldn't be a big loss for the team.

I do hope for him that he does get his second chance though (and pick up a damn history book!).

I don't think professional athletes have such rights. They surrender those rights as soon as they sign a contract, on the dotted line. Their actions and/or words are subject to the league's rules of conduct. At least that's the way it is in the US. Without being 100% certain, I suspect the same rules would apply to UEFA and FIFA.

Agree.

Katidis should be given a second chance. I also believe that moments like this should be ..teaching opportunities!  The league and all those who have sense should condemn such behavior. And, connect this to the behavior of the fans who do and say worse things than raising a fascist salute. All those idiots in the stands who want to f@ck :xxx:  the ..mothers, daughters, the Virgin Mary and the whole city of ________ (insert your own city here)! :nono:

I have to say btw I'm starting to feel sorry for this guy ... After having seen and read I believe that he didn't realize what he was doing. And even if he did, give him a chance for "repentance", but taking away his career is just way too much.

I agree with pao123 that they should of suspended him for the rest of the season with a big prostimo but not for life! 

Yes what he did was ridiculous to do, to say the least, banning him for life is way too excessive... 

I believe and hope that they (EPO) will retract the ban when things quiet down and the season is over and at least reduce it to a year or two.

But regardless, Katidis really "hurt" his career for that one stupid moment of "celebration."

• 3 years later...

wow can't believe this happened 3 years ago, seems like a lifetime ago. 
shame for him he was showing promise, probably a combination of that incident and not being able to take the next step led to his demise. After all he moved to italy and lasted all of one season. 

Anyone know what hes doing now? According to wiki he hasn't played at a professional team since Levadiakos at the end of the 14-15 season. still only 23

• 5 weeks later...

The man is not the brightest, it's a shame he made such a mess of his career. It's not just the GD thing, he played some lower division match I believe under a different player's identity and violently fouled an opponent, then threatened the same player and proceeded to flee the grounds or something like that? This was about a year a go or less....