Phantis Forums

MEGA Cosmos in North America

Let's hope this soap opera, "Mega Cosmos Musical Platform Chairs", has ended its run. They screwed the omogenia big time. Glad I didn't follow them on Home2US. I knew it wasn't worth it. But forgive and forget I say. Mega, just don't do us like that again and get someone else to distribute your channel. GMG/Titan, Inc., whatever name they're going by, don't know squat.

Come on, don't be so hard on them. They offered us some fun. We can go back some years' posts and read all these predictions by posters here of how "Directv will kill Dish" or how "Home2US will kill Dish" and how in the end "there will be no channel left at Dish but Antenna."

Good times... :LOL:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ Things change in the Greek channel dealings as we have seen, I am sure even DKSat would tell you that since he hinted many times over the years about different potential outcomes.

A lot of factors come into play it seems. We could argue all day “If Antenna never signed the exclusive deal”, “if DirecTV got ERT World”, “if certain people got the rights to certain channels”, if if if or should've would've could've. What matters today is that Dish and Mega were able to come to a deal.

Looking toward the future, it would be nice if Dish continues to look into more additions. But like I said they have a pretty solid line up right now IMO, although Skai would be nice eventually. If you asked me a few years ago, I would also say Star, but their programming has gone way downhill since then. Their niche is easily covered by Alpha/ANT1’s programming currently IMO. I also wonder if we will ever finally see ERT World FTA on KU band in North America. :gr:

I am surprised though that they got to be offered a-la-carte as well, and for $19.99

I am surprised to see it available a la carte as well but the price point is the same as what they charged on Home2US so no surprise there. I don't see very many subscribing to MEGA a la carte but I guess they threw in the option for the heck of it so people wouldn't say its not available on its own.

it would be nice if Dish continues to look into more additions.

To each his own but why would you want them to add more channels, I think the current lineup is great?! What else is there for them to add that is not currently available through the existing channels?! The Greek television industry is currently in a state of decline due to the economic climate over there, programming has gone way down in quality. Most channels now produce very little original programming aside from news and reality crap, the rest is all foreign programming. I am surprised that all current channels are still on the air, I would have expected some to shut down- I guess the owners all have deep pockets and are able to weather the severe economic hardship they are experiencing?!

To each his own but why would you want them to add more channels, I think the current lineup is great?!

Like I said, I think their current line up is pretty solid. I don't think they need to touch it for a while. However I think there might be room in the future for Skai to be added eventually. Their programing has been getting better year by year, despite the economic crisis. So it might be ready for prime time in a few years. (pun intended :P)

That being said, I also expect some channels to shut down in the future. The advertising market in Greece keeps shrinking, and the channels are having a hard time getting by. Even the deepest pockets can't keep pouring money into the channels if it keeps going this way. Plus there is the whole television license issue finally coming into play in the next few years. That may very well become their biggest issue.

Edited by Grk101

Skai is available for free online on their website when it is airing Greek programming. Goes offline when airing foreign programming. If you're interested, it comes back on at 10:00pm EST with a replay of a cooking show. At 10:30 there's a am newscast and at 11:00 is Proti Grammi with the 2 guys who used to be on NET.

Skai tv link: Skai

Happy viewing! :)

Skai is available for free online on their website when it is airing Greek programming. Goes offline when airing foreign programming. If you're interested, it comes back on at 10:00pm EST with a replay of a cooking show. At 10:30 there's a am newscast and at 11:00 is Proti Grammi with the 2 guys who used to be on NET.

You can watch it right on your tv with roku for free

^^^ Things change in the Greek channel dealings as we have seen, I am sure even DKSat would tell you that since he hinted many times over the years about different potential outcomes.

A lot of factors come into play it seems. We could argue all day “If Antenna never signed the exclusive deal”, “if DirecTV got ERT World”, “if certain people got the rights to certain channels”, if if if or should've would've could've. What matters today is that Dish and Mega were able to come to a deal.

Αν η γιαγια μου ειχε καρουλια... :P

No, we don't need to discuss old posts, since they are there for all to see. The only point to add is that when MEGA went to Directv in 2006, lots of the posters were pretending as if this was the only time a platform tried to compete with Dish. It wasn't. But I was amazed by all the people who were refusing to look at the track record of entities like Directv when it came to international programming. Remember, there was a bigger picture beyond Greek programming and lots of channels Directv lured and dumped.

You can watch it right on your tv with roku for free
You can also use an HDMI cable from the computer to the tv if both have HDMI inputs. Then you maximize the screen on your computer.

You can view the SKAI program on a TV set if you download the SKAI App for the App Store and connect your iOS device iPhone, iPad or iPod with the Apple composite or component AV cable to the TV set. I’ve tried it and the quality is excellent!!!

Μπορείς να δεις το πρόγραμμα του SKAI σε συσκευ

Mega Cosmos stop broadcasting in Canada when Home2US when down because they did not have any Satellite feed.

Mega Cosmos when up on Nimiq 1- 6 at 91.1 W Bell Tv early this morning at the same frequency and channel number that they were before. The info on Lyngsat is old from 8/27/2011.

DKSat

Mega Cosmos stop broadcasting in Canada when Home2US when down because they did not have any Satellite feed.

Just because there was no satellite feed does not mean it wasn't available on satellite?! Bell operates an IPTV service in addition to their satellite service, perhaps they were getting the feed for MEGA Cosmos Canada via fibre?! Why was this channel still listed on the Bell website if it wasn't available?!

When Home2US shot down there serves , Mega satellite and Fiber Feed to the Satellite providers were shot down to.

Bell TV did not take Mega down, they had no satellite or Fiber feed for about 2 months .

Now that Mega fiber feed is back Bell up ling the channel to the same Satellite, frequency, and channel number.

DKSat

• 2 weeks later...
  • Blackhawk changed the title to MEGA Cosmos in North America

At the end of September the 5 national TV licenses will be officially awarded to the bid winner. As a result the license of MEGA TV which is in bankruptcy will be taken away and the station will have to leave the air.

It will be interesting to see what will happen with MEGA Cosmos, the international channel of MEGA which is available in US, Canada and Australia.

• 2 months later...

MEGA TV is gone from the airwaves in Greece, but it now continues broadcasting via YouTube channel. They are just showing old shows. As for MEGA Cosmos that is available in US, Canada and Australia, all they do is use the YouTube feed resulting in some very bad picture quality.

Here is the YouTube stream:

• 4 months later...

Starting today MEGA Cosmos is no longer available on Dishnetwork or any other provider in the US. 

Mega (Channel 9839) has stopped distribution in Greece and will no longer be available on any cable or satellite provider including DISH. Consequently, Mega will be removed from your Greek package effective April 17, 2019. Dont worry, you will still have access to great Greek channels such as: Antenna Satellite (Channel 9829), Alpha (Channel 9831) and Greek Cinema (Channel 9832).  (Dishnetwork)