Phantis Forums

Greece v Bosnia

js1000

Greece take on the free scoring Bosnians on friday. our squad is as follows

Panagiotis Glykos (PAOK) Orestis Karnezis (Panathinaikos) Kostas Lamprou (Feyenoord) José Holebas (Olympiacos) Stelios Malezas (Fortuna Düsseldorf) Sokratis Papastathopoulos (Werder Bremen) Dimitris Siovas (Olympiacos) Nikos Spyropoulos (Panathinaikos) Vasilis Torosidis (Olympiacos) Loukas Vyntra (Panathinaikos) Elini Dimoutsos (Atromitos) Kostas Fortounis (Kaiserslautern) Giorgos Karagounis (Fulham) Kostas Katsouranis (Unattached) Giannis Maniatis (Olympiacos) Sotiris Ninis (Parma) Alexandros Tziolis (APOEL) Stefanos Athanasiadis (PAOK) Lazaros Christodoulopoulos (Panathinaikos) Theofanis Gekas (Levante)

Kostas Mitroglou (Olympiacos) Dimitris Salpingidis (PAOK) Giorgos Samaras (Celtic)

no place for tachtsidis despite playing regularly for Roma or Kone who's been in good form for Bologna, meanwhile Katsouranis gets a call up despite not having a club and karagounis(maybe speaking portuguese helps) is back having played half an hour for Fulham, and a first call up for our young keeper at Feyenoord Lamprou.

if you offered me a draw for this one i'd take it

so long as fetfa is not on this team, the credibility of this coach and the powers that be are seriously suspect. throw chiotis in there as well.

vyntra ? please....why not bring back haristeas while you are at it...

midfiled -------- ninis fourtounis tsiolis tachdidis -------- leave them that way for good so they learn to play together

reserves: kone, tachtisids and the rest including a lst hoorah for karagouni & kats

forwards : float samaras back and forth with fetfa left and salpi right

back ---- 2 papas, torosidis, and another stay at home lock down defender.....

thats the lineup....mitro/kone/dimoutsos/maniatis ready to punce

time to move on to the young guys..........

sorry , draw unacceptable.....big teams win these games....until our expectations remain high we will always be second rate.....(the player i mean) its obvious they can beat anyone on any given day....they just need to bring their A game every time....bottom line: nothing less than a win should be acceptable.....go in there and impose your will ----period...

Karagounis is a mild surprise, :o

Katsouranis a really big one... :blink:

The man has been released by PAO who are not doing too hot in the League! Santos wake up!!! Ask Jesualdo about him! He does speak your language, you know!

sorry , draw unacceptable.....big teams win these games....until our expectations remain high we will always be second rate.....(the player i mean) its obvious they can beat anyone on any given day....they just need to bring their A game every time....bottom line: nothing less than a win should be acceptable.....go in there and impose your will ----period...

point is K Paps is missing so we have the potential of a defence including vyntra spyropoulos and karnezis against an in form bosnia side, add to that a midfield of karagounis and katsouranis, with that in mind a draw will be like a victory.

so long as fetfa is not on this team, the credibility of this coach and the powers that be are seriously suspect

fetfazidis doesn't play club football so you can't include him in the squad he's gonna waste away a forgotten man and he's got himself to blame for signing a 5 year contract with olympiakos, prior to signing that contract he was playing regularly.

if tachtsidis kone were included k paps available and we had a half decent keeper(even an average keeper) and kats and kara were omitted i would be more optimistic and expect a win but as things stand a draw would be amazing.

js....

i see your point about the draw, but i just don;t agree. Bosnia, although formidable, is not germany/england/argentina.......they are bosnia. so we as a team we can't "hope for a draw" and consider it a victory....forget about what we as fans think - we can try and predict the outcome based on our assessments (which suprisingly are not far off often) but my comments speak to what the players should be thinking....and, by implication, i reflect those ideas when i say a victory is the only thing that would satisfy me, and the players should feel the same way....this team needs a SWAGGER.....all good teams are confident, borderline arrogant and playing Bosnia is not the time for the team to start respecting the opponent too much. You may turn out correct and that we draw...My only point is they and us should not be happy with anything other than a win......

As far as fetfa, i just dont understand your point at all. What does signing a 5 year deal have to do with anything? Injury? The guys skill level is head and shoulders above most if not all our current players, the obvious ones anyway. We NEED the dimension he brings - breakdown capability....kats plays for NOBODY, and karagouni is on holiday - why play them?

whats up with kpap? vytra spiro in the back is dreadful.....where is kyriagos/dellas when you need them? lol.....

As far as fetfa, i just dont understand your point at all. What does signing a 5 year deal have to do with anything? Injury? The guys skill level is head and shoulders above most if not all our current players, the obvious ones anyway. We NEED the dimension he brings - breakdown capability....kats plays for NOBODY, and karagouni is on holiday - why play them?

manga had fetfazidis not signed a long term deal he would be playing regularly if oly didn't play him he could have left and developed as a player now he's stuck there, k paps for example left olympiakos and has come on massively since, had he remained and tied himself to a long contract he'd be riding the bench there. fetfa although talented isn't getting playing time so shouldn't be included and neither should kara who's played half an hour of football since euro 2012 nor kats who's without a club, but having worked with santos at benfica i suspect thats why they're included. thats why i'm tipping bosnia for this one they're on form and up against karnezis vyntra spyropoulos karagounis and katsouranis.

js....

your reasoning is sound regarding Bosnia being on form and the kats/kara/karn (KKK lol) problem.....i hear you.....i still think we should win this game in spite of that, kats/kar not chopped liver - there close, lol, but still have a little life left. remember these guys got us to the second round of the euro.......also remember something else......soccer comes down to a matter of styles......what do i mean? well, an example will illustrate this better......we played checks and lost....russia crushed them....we beat russia.....how do reconcile that? if you go by past results russia should have crushed us, right? they beat the checks, and the checks beat us..... everybody thought russia would run all over us.....but it does not work that way....they didn't because our style stifled them....so bosnia may look "in form" putting 8 goals past a high school team, but they won't have that luxury of space and ease of use against us, no matter who is on the pitch for us....that's why i am not so quick to put Bosnia even with us regarding the result...you may turn out to be correct, heck we may even lose, who knows...I just maintain, and have maintained for along time, that if we want to be considered a BIG team we need to have a swagger and arrogance that includes accpeting nothing less than a WIN from everyone, especially the bosnia's of the world........

but as i said your prediction may be correct...

regarding fetfa, i dont get it....everyone who is called up is not "in form" or playing regularly.....i say bring him up, put him in to get acclimated to the newer guys, even if it is for 10 minutes.....he has THAT KIND of talent, and adds a dimension WE DONT HAVE....head and shoulders above everyone....surely samtos can find a way to intergrate that into the squad, dont you think? instead he keeps holebas who sucks .........besides how does a long term deal affect his playing time? sign him and bury him , i dont get it......(maybe thats the mentality that got us in trouble economically in the first place) it just makes no sense......on any level....all i can think of is santos has been "instructed" not to take him since if he gets hurt then oly eats potentially a five year deal or his value plummets significantly....

sign him and bury him , i dont get it......(maybe thats the mentality that got us in trouble economically in the first place) it just makes no sense......on any level....all i can think of is santos has been "instructed" not to take him since if he gets hurt then oly eats potentially a five year deal or his value plummets significantly....

oly got egg on there face regarding k paps, they deemed him not good enough for their first team but tried desperately to keep him but he refused to extend his contract, regarding fets keeping him long term prevents anyone else getting him.

we got talent in greece i hear you but we need to do what the dutch do and cap players at a younger age so when they reach their mid 20s they have loads of international experience, kone and tachtsidis should for sure be involved.

lamprou is a good call up though, talented but lacks height and experience

we got talent in greece i hear you but we need to do what the dutch do and cap players at a younger age so when they reach their mid 20s they have loads of international experience, kone and tachtsidis should for sure be involved.

agree 100%.....1000000%........i saw kone play against ecuador friendly.....bit of a hothead, but he has swagger and attitude.....we NEED that type of confidence/borderline arrogance....if he can tone it down abit he is a good addition and has some skills to boot....the other dood is good also form what i ve seen...dotn know much about lambrou...

GREECE

12 Karnezis(GK)

2 Maniatis

4 Spyropoulos

6 Tziolis

7 Samaras

8 Malezas

15 Torosidis

17 Gkekas

19 Papastathopoulos

21 Katsouranis(Captain)

22 Fortounis

BENCH

1 Lambrou(GK)

13 Glykos(GK)

3 Tzavellas

5 Siovas

9 Mitroglou

10 Karagounis

14 Salpingidis

16 Dimoutsos

18 Ninis

20 Fotakis

23 Athanasiadis

Manager: Fernando Santos(POR)

BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA

1 Begovic(GK)

4 Spahic(Captain)

9 Ibisevic

10 Misimovic

11 Dzeko

13 Mujdza

14 Zahirovic

15 Salihovic

16 Lulic

18 Medunjanin

19 Vranjes

BENCH

12 Sehic(GK)

22 Avdukic(GK)

2 Vrsajevic

3 Svraka

5 Sunjic

6 Besic

7 Stevanovic

8 Pjanic

17 Ibricic

20 Sesar

21 Zukanovic

Manager: Safet Susic(BIH)

fukcing gekas.......i cant believe he missed that open goal.

bosnia defense is very shaky.......they play way to high up (that explains why they can score 8 goals against a glorified high school team) but....it ain't happening against us.....still, we need to improve midfield - several times forwards had no help..........mids need to push up a big time and if so we can put three past this goalie.....so much space at the top of the box.....

fourtouni is the real deal........great vision and ball control......

the most frustrating guy is torosidi.....he just vanishes sometimes.....

I think it's time for Gekas to hang his shoes. He never did much, but at least he could score. Now, he can't even do that.

Greece still can't string two balls together.

I am also going to start advocating for Santos to go.

Archived