Phantis Forums

Norway-Greece

Omonoia9

Some things I liked, others I didn't.

VERY poor defending for both of their goals. Not convinced by Spyro either. Stafylidis has to be given a chance (so does Zaradoukas when he's fit). Also it's ridiculous that Fetfa isn't being given a chance. I just don't understand it. I did read that because of sponsorship deals (with Amstel I think) Santos was pressured to take Fetfa to the Euros. Does his omission now prove that? Has the kid done something to annoy the manager? He seems like a nice, quiet kid, and is a super-player. So what is the problem?

Mitroglou was lively. Missed a one on one but had a decent header go just wide and scored. Karnezis did ok, but he's no Chiotis. I guess that ship has sailed though after his outburst.

We need to tighten up

I didn't see the whole game but a few things came to mind.

Exhibition games are more for offense than defense. I would rather win 3-2 than a 1-0 game. You get to see who can be more creative and who has some real promise. Asking the team to play back and hope for a late header from a corner doesn't tell you anything IMO.

Mitroglou showed me something. Three scoring chances in a short span and hit a solid shot even though other goalies could have stopped it. He would have scored at least one more if he had been playing more for the National team in the past.

One caveat.....can he play like that for 90 minutes or was it because he only played 45 that he wanted to impress.

I didn't miss Karagounis. Noticed that there wasn't much floppping in the midfield. If Greece leaves him off the team I think their midfielf play gets better with each passing game. Greece needs to know how to win 3-2 games in tournaments and not just in exhibitions. If they leave out the oldtimers I expect them to score at least three times in each of their first two WCQ games against Latvia and Lithiuwania.

Maybe now we will really start to see what type of coach the National team has.

Bravo ! ! ! :gr: :gr: :gr:

Highlights:

Wow, if Jarstein didn't suck so much, we easily could have lost. Our goals were pretty cheap. Karnezis wasn't much better.

our d is not solid anymore......

look at the germany game....three goals from guys late to to play, being out jumped and out maneuvered by guys that got to the ball before they did....

maybe experience will help....i like that midfield kid, who is that? fourtounis? good vision and he can encourgae off the ball movement by he forwards since he keeps his head up and can find them....

we need tsiolis on the team....he was sorely missed against germany....also, need fefta....whats up with that?

their goalie sucks

and............................greece ranked ahead of brazil int eh FIFA rankings.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

my daughter is a soccer nut and i was going over some things with her and decided to playback greece germany goals to illustrate the concept of: 1. attack open spaces, 2. leading passes 3. releasing your teamate and4. off the ball movement/tactics....

Also trying to explain and convey the importance of seeing the play develop before it happens and how split second decisions that are not obvious on tv make the difference.....

for example, our first goal, fourtounis (i think) reconized that salpi's defender was turned around and that salpi was facing forward while the defender was backpeddling, thereby creating an uneven situation for salpi to get to the leading pass first (see the video he has about three feet on the german defender when he passes to samaras)

but my main point is: maniatis got undressed. he is SO SLOW to every play.... two goals where he simply was late to the open space....

but my main point is: maniatis got undressed. he is SO SLOW to every play.... two goals where he simply was late to the open space....

He stinks as a defender, a bit better as a midfielder.

I'll never forget how he sat there and admired Khedira run - quite a distance! - to meet the ball and score against us... :tdown:

yeah IR, glad you noticed it.....look at the goals you lll see

i cant believe im even saying this because i was a big basher of Avraaam (still not comfy with him) but his loss and not having tsiolis hurt us against Germany, both from an experience point of view and speed/strength...

maniatis was palying scared....giving way too much room...they all were actually....klose goal he simply outjumped papadopoulos.....give him credit for a good play....but the other htree goals we were just tooooo loose giving them too much room and not attacking them defensively.....playing scared.....tooooo much respect....

I'm not at all happy with the starting line up: Kats, Tziolis, Maniatis? What kind of defensive, negative minded horsesh it is this? Especially when we have enough attacking mids that can create. I thought Santos was doing pretty good until we got to to the Euro. There he f ucked up.

And it looks like its the Katsouranis/Santos show, 2 buddies that will call up players and include them in their gang they happen to personally like. Is that it?

Archived