Phantis Forums

Sotiris Ninis ‒ (Now Playing for Kifisia)

js1000

We shouldn’t be making fun of our own player. Do you think he wanted to end up like this?

I agree with @nasl his passing and skill were way ahead than any other Greek player apart from Fetfa. Ninis might be playing at the lowest level but that shouldn’t mean he is our worst player. If anything we should be backing him with any chance we get. I don’t like hearing sarcastic remarks about him. It’s not like Fortounis, Pelkas or Mantalos are proving to be any better for the national team.

• Like it 2

16 hours ago, Dean97 said:

We shouldn’t be making fun of our own player. Do you think he wanted to end up like this?

I agree with @nasl his passing and skill were way ahead than any other Greek player apart from Fetfa. Ninis might be playing at the lowest level but that shouldn’t mean he is our worst player. If anything we should be backing him with any chance we get. I don’t like hearing sarcastic remarks about him. It’s not like Fortounis, Pelkas or Mantalos are proving to be any better for the national team.

Dean, I agree. Despite where he is playing, I guarantee you he would not look out of place with the NT, especially in its current state.  No I am not saying he should be called up, but it's not like our midfielders are setting the world on fire either.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think anyone fathomed him as the present. He is clearly the past, but I guess it's just interesting to keep tabs on someone that was central topic of conversations for mny years. At this point he will retire at 30.

• Like it 1

I think most Greek players peak too early in their career then the professionalism somehow fades. Eg. Koutsianikoulis, Fetfa and Ninis. Some haven’t like Sokratis, Manolas and so on but if you think about it the majority of talented Greek players show their talents at this age bracket of 18-23. 

On 12/12/2018 at 5:37 PM, Dean97 said:

I think most Greek players peak too early in their career then the professionalism somehow fades. Eg. Koutsianikoulis, Fetfa and Ninis. Some haven’t like Sokratis, Manolas and so on but if you think about it the majority of talented Greek players show their talents at this age bracket of 18-23. 

That all goes to show that the youth talent is present, but club & league culture and training programs & facilities, all which translate to professionalism and development, are lacking in Greece. The most successful players leave Greece very young. Yes, there are examples of players leaving and coming back, some falling off the map, others thriving in the GSL, but, nevertheless, if a young Greek player wants to give himself the best shot at a successful career, he needs to develop outside Greece.

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, Argy said:

That all goes to show that the youth talent is present, but club & league culture and training programs & facilities, all which translate to professionalism and development, are lacking in Greece. The most successful players leave Greece very young. Yes, there are examples of players leaving and coming back, some falling off the map, others thriving in the GSL, but, nevertheless, if a young Greek player wants to give himself the best shot at a successful career, he needs to develop outside Greece.

I definitely agree. I think players like Ninis and K.Papadopoulos were very unlucky in my opinion. Some just not professional enough. Even Tachtsidis who at 21 signed for Roma and showed quality and a lot of promise. Another would be Stafylidis I remember at 17 years old was PAOK best player in that Europe game against Spurs where he got sent off. I think it’s a very good idea Young talented Greek players leave Greece. Players who could have made more of their careers like Torosidis who was very wanted by top clubs at around age 25 but instead stayed at Olympiakos until age 27. All I can think of now is for our young players to get the most experience in a country with good football culture and training programs to get better is too leave right now for eg. Galanopoulos, Androutsos, Nikolaou, Tsimikas, Koulouris and so on should test themselves in leagues where they play constantly and especially in a learning environment. Your not going really far in the GSL. Hopefully players like Fortounis, Pelkas, Kourbelis, and Mantalos don’t start declining because they are all in the same age group and we could agree they played their best football a couple of years ago. 

There is so much to say about Greek's abroad. So many examples and different experiences. Certainly the longer you stay in the Greek league, the better chance you stagnate. KPap and Ninis are different though. Injuries tore apart KPap's career, whereas Ninis' inconsistency and lack of development killed his. Lots of factors come into play for Greeks going abroad. No Greek goes into a foreign club with any kind of pedigree, as I believe that players from the GSL, and Greek footballers, in general, have to work twice as hard to earn the respect and confidence of managers.

Also, as I've stated in the past, what's hindering young Greek players in General from getting a timely opportunity abroad is the fact that, for years, the GSL has been just good enough to keep their talent long enough to sell for a higher profit. Whereas, in countries like Croatia, where the league wasn't as competitive, would sell their players younger and cheaper to bigger clubs around Europe. And the results are in front of us. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Argy changed the title to Sotiris Ninis ‒ Free Agent
  • 11 months later...
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Sotiris Ninis ‒ signed for NFC Volos after being a Free Agent
  • 3 years later...
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Sotiris Ninis ‒ (Now Playing for Kifisia)