Phantis Forums

Changes for WC 2014?

Irlandos

well the keeper and back 4 should remain and samaras and gekas up front but the midfield remains a problem salpi wide right and fetfa left(if he gets playing time at oly) but we have no one in central midfield thats any good and until thats addressed we'll always get overrun against the likes of germany

Karagounis has to leave the team. He can't even play on the bench.

The team will convert to his style if he stays and that involved too much diving and not enough of pushing the ball forward. He is also 35 years old, do you want a 37 year old playing center midfield at the world cup?

He has been a great player for Greece but they have to turn the page.

Katsoranis might stay but his starting position should not be guranteed. Anyone else over the age of 33 should be dismissed now.

I would also keep Samaras although he may not be a starter anymore. Gekas is done.

More speed is required, look at Salpi running down the sideline and put in that cross. This is also why I would keep Holebas but put him at outside midfield instead of defense. He has some a bit of a burst compared to the other midfield players. He was out of position in the back line.

Ninis must have a psychological issue from his injury. He gets the ball taken off of his too easy. He was better a year ago and needs to get back to his old form.

Greece has the easiest European group to qualify for the World Cup. If they can't put in new blood for this group then they never will. Let the younger guys learn and find their identity.

(list of teams in their group below)

Does Greece need to play defensive against any of these teams????

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Greece

Latvia

Liechtenstein

Lithuania

Slovakia

Personally, I'd like to see:

GK: Chalkias gets dropped; keep Sifakis, add Chiotis and one of Karnezis / Kapino / Tzorvas (if he ever gets back in form)

DF: Make the Kyr. Papadopoulos - Papaetc. partnership permanent: let's those two grow up together and, hopefully, mature together. Avraam can be a backup.

Keep Torosidis and Tzavelas as full backs.

Drop Maniatis, Katsouranis and Holebas as defenders.

MF: Use Holebas as a MF/FW on the left side. Keep Fotakis and Maniatis. Drop Ninis unless he gets back in form. Makos should not be picked for games v. better opponents.

How about experimenting with Samaras as an attacking midfielder?

FW: Use Salpi on the right, Samaras/Holebas on the left. Groom Mitroglou to be our hit man as Gekas seems to be past it. Fetfatzidis and Fortunis should be our reserves.

PLUS: We need to keep a lookout for young talent as we are obviously short on over all depth, the midfield and strikers.

Yeah we certainly need some changes.

1. Stop the favoritism. Stop the coaches from recieving money under the table from players agents.

2. Someone new should come in. Someone who cares and is passionate about football, less about money.

kara is done. give him one or two more matches as a send off and let him retire. he will not be playing on, i think he knows that his time there is done. but he wants to, and frankly, he deserves to make the record books in caps for us. im not all for statistics and individual performances, but he has been the heart of the team in our most successful era as of yet and like it or not, he deserves respect.

we have some hope for the future. we have talented youngsters like kapino, k. papadopoulo, sokratis, manolas, fetfatzidi, nini, petsos, skondras, fortounis, karagouni (of atromito), vellios, vlachodimo, tachtsidi, mitroglou, mavrias, gianniotas, tatos, siovas. some of these players are not quite ready to step up, some of them are.

the talent is there, we just need to USE them and use them properly. keep some players like sifaki, salpi, samara, avraam maniati, torosidi, tzavella and mix in the youngsters..i also think players like lazaro and athanasiadi deserve a shot.

we have the talent to become a good attacking side eventually, but we need to harness it and start incorporating young players and getting them serious time.

kara is done. give him one or two more matches as a send off and let him retire.

And who. then, should be the captain?

Personally, I don't think Katsouranis should even be on the team, let alone succeed "typaras"

Archived