Phantis Forums

Greece - Russia

Irlandos

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irish fans in Europe- check out the video

OT: but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Got to hand it to those Irish fans. ......ha ha

As for Greece - Russia

Same old story....Greece will have to survive the first 20 minutes with some luck, then they have to get the first goal.

Russia has seen the film for the first two games. They will come out charging.

As for the lineups....I seem to be in the minority but I want some playing time for Ninis, even if he comes in as a sub in the 2nd half. He is a scoring threat and Greece needs goals. Is there anyone else who can score from a long range shot?

If we play a young, energetic team we can do something. I haven't seen anything to suggest we can beat them though so far in this tournament. Yesterday I posted saying that Holebas should have been 15 metres further back. Check this video out!

http://www.sportdog.gr/article/109711/terr...-holebas-binteo

Terrible!

This is the team I'd play:

-----------------------------------------Sifakis-----------------------------------------

Torosidis-----------------Sokratis--------------K.Papadopoulos-----------Tzavellas

------------------Ninis---------------Maniatis----------Fotakis------------------------

Fetfatzidis---------------------------Salpingidis------------------------------Fortunis

If we play a young, energetic team we can do something. I haven't seen anything to suggest we can beat them though so far in this tournament. Yesterday I posted saying that Holebas should have been 15 metres further back. Check this video out!

Terrible!

-----------------------------------------Sifakis-----------------------------------------

Torosidis-----------------Sokratis--------------K.Papadopoulos-----------Tzavellas

------------------Ninis---------------Maniatis----------Fotakis------------------------

Fetfatzidis---------------------------Salpingidis------------------------------Fortunis

thats the back 4 and keeper that should have been playing from the start of this tournament, it would have been a different story for us if that had been the case. one problem though with your line up is no out and out striker, i think gekas should start and also samaras for his aerial presence.

Salpingidis' natural and preferred position is a central striker (but with a partner). He has played up front on his own for Greece though and quite successfully. Gekas has no pace, the man is finished. He's a good finisher if we're dominating possession but for this Greek team he simply doesn't have the necessary attributes to play as a lone front man on the counter. Samaras instead of Fortunis I wouldn't necessarily be against because it would give us the option of looking for him with diagonal balls into the box (for headers back across goal) or Torosidis' deep crosses. Samaras would definitely have the beating of Anyukov in the air so tactically it could work. I guess the reason I went for Fortunis is because Anyukov loves to get forward and is lightening quick. Fortunis might do more defensive work which could be very important because although I prefer Tzavellas to Holebas, he is slow for a left back. I would not want to see him isolated against Anyukov and Zyrianov therefore. Alternatively we could play Tzavellas at left back and Holebas at left forward (Holebas did well in that position for Olympiakos on a couple of occasions, namely away at Marseille). He loves to get forward but would, theoretically, provide more cover than both Samaras and Fortunis

Another option would be to play a 4-4-1-1 formation with the same back line and keeper that I put up earlier and ahead of them:

Salpingidis/Ninis--------------Maniatis-----------------Fotakis--------------Holebas

-----------------------------------Fetfatzidis-------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Samaras----------------------------

That's more risky because we have a man less in the midfield but Russia's main threat comes from the wings. If Maniatis could do a job on Shirikov and Ninis/Salpi press Arshavin then we could take the centre of the park. With Fetfa running at Berezutski he could cause them serious problems!

I would play this line up:

------------------Maniatis---------------Karagounis(Ninis only if Big K Fails)----------Katsouranis------------------------

Gekas/Fetfatzidis(25 min)---------------------------Salpingidis------------------------------Fortunis/Mitroglou(last 15 min)

@PAO-1908

If we are going to play Gekas and Salpigindis together, Gekas should be in the centre, Salpi on the right.

I think we are unanimous in our selection of keeper and defence.

A few more points:

I would like to see Holebas on the left wing but not as a defender. He needs to be further up the pitch and make his runs deeper.

Karagounis should start but Santos should keep an eye on him as he has aged and cannot perform as in previous years.

Why not try Fetfatzidis in place of Fortounis? (just a thought)

If we don't set up a lineup that will properly feed our hit man, use Mitroglou rather than Gekas.

Katsouranis and Samaras should sit this one out.

its time to put up or shut up.......if the team thinks they are a good squad, then go out and take this game....

call me crazy, but i see this game as even odds....its easy to assume, given the performances, that russia will emerge victorious...i dont buy it.. its a matter of styles, game time circumstances...

- awful red card that cost us in the check game;

- two obvious goals called back;

- kara penalty that would have changed the complexion of the entire group;

i know the negatives, i know....i am not blind and we are not blind..we all seee them. but even given how we have played, all these games have turned on one/two plays....

russia could not beat poland...etc etc etc....so i dont see this game as impossible to win...if santos makes the right lineup and we play to our capabilities we have the style of play to win....i really believe that....now will they go out and show the passion and guts to do it on the field? well, whose gonna show up?

Terrible!

Good line up! But I also would not play Salp in the middle because he never works there; you try to feed him and he can't get to the ball since he's too short. Samaras for height advantage, Gekas for finishing ability or even Mitroglou.

Swedish official Jonas Eriksson will be the referee for our match v. Russia.

Let's hope he does a better job than the previous two!

Yeah good; I was checking out these officials after the game and was trying to come up w/ reasons for the bad calls. You can only speculate at this point. But I noticed the other guys and felt like this Swedish guy will be alright.

In spite of the lousy performances, we were definitely robbed. We should have walked away with a point against the Czechs. Football needs to be cleaned up unfortunately!

Terrible!

Good line up! But I also would not play Salp in the middle because he never works there; you try to feed him and he can't get to the ball since he's too short. Samaras for height advantage, Gekas for finishing ability or even Mitroglou.
On occasion Salpi has done well as a lone front man but for him to be effective we cannot play long balls. I'd have picked the midfield I did with the hope that we could bring the ball forward, and/or break quickly. Their central defensive partnership is tall and strong but lacks mobility. So I'd rather Salpi than Samaras because I think they'll struggle with him more. Nonetheless Lewandowski caused them problems so maybe Samaras could play that role of a target man that drops deep to collect the ball in pockets of space.

The media seems to be suggesting that we will play this team:

-------------------------------------Sifakis---------------------------------------------

Torosidis--------------Sokratis-----------------K.Papadopoulos-----------Tzavellas

---------------------Katsouranis-----Maniatis---------Karagounis--------------------

Salpingidis---------------------------Gekas----------------------------------Samaras

If that's true we can safely kiss our hopes good bye. Katsouranis and Karagounis must be dropped. At the very least one of the two must be dropped, but even that isn't going to go far enough.

I like this lineup. We can take the Russians with this.

yep genome....100%

we get 4 points and tie russia but advance cause we beat them head to head

poland wins they dadvance with 5 points...checks 3 points (us, poles)

checks win they go with 6 points, poland stays at 2 points. (us, checks)

they tie, poland 3, but checks 4. ( 4/4/4 so its us and checks since we beat russia)

The media seems to be suggesting that we will play this team:

-------------------------------------Sifakis---------------------------------------------

Torosidis--------------Sokratis-----------------K.Papadopoulos-----------Tzavellas

---------------------Katsouranis-----Maniatis---------Karagounis--------------------

Salpingidis---------------------------Gekas----------------------------------Samaras

With this lineup Greece-Russia 0-3

Archived