Phantis Forums

Greece - Czechland

Irlandos

Our NT's second Euro 2012 game is in the Municipal Stadium of Wroclaw (formerly Breslau), on 12 June 2012 7:00pm GR (5:00pm BST, 12:00pm EDT) against the Czech Republic.

Any changes you would like to see in Santos' strategy for this game?

Any predictions?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not going to make a prediction on score but I'm fairly certain we'll play better than what we did today.

Just saw the Russia - Czech Rep. game though and they should (despite the scoreline) not be underestimated!

We should get the win though!

Karagounis is important as a captain who inspires the rest of the team. True, he's not the player he was 10 years ago but he can put in a solid 60'.

If you want Fetfatzidis and Ninis, whom do you omit from the attacking line, Salpingidis or Fortounis??? Or do you want either as a hitman?

No Kara please! It was one hell of an inspiration his missed penalty and what should have been a win against Poland. Not one completed through pass, and not a successful dribble the whole match. This kind of inspiration, along with his drama queen tactics, the youngsters can and should do without. A re Zagoraki arxige poso mou lipeis!

I agree, CR should not be taken lightly but they are beatable. 1 winn against them and a tie against Russia, after they beat Poland, and we are through :gr:

yes, its time for a new "10" for greece...but now is NOT the time to experiment with what is arguably the most important position on the field....but, kara cant dribble the entire opposition...he has NO help.

santos must consider his weaknesses (many of you have pointed them out) and devise his role differently to take advantage of what he CAN do - free kicks, vision..

and don't downplay leadership and experience...because its not quantifiable, most people just ignore it as something not very relevant or impactful...i contend strongly that our experience and battle tested grit got us even (and almost three points - still cant beleive kara missed that penalty - ) down one man...... and, it wasn't because someone ran faster or jumped higher. It was a clever, opportunistic pass and someone finally attacking an open space with off the ball movement and coordination between them. thats experience, that's smarts....there are PLENTY of examples in many sports that the best, most productive players are not always the fastest, or strongest.....

but, when u go to battle, and its game of imposing your PHYSICAL will on the pitch, you MUST have someone that other look to...most people are followers...its teh same in soccer...and NOBODY has emerged as a true leader on this team...so he is really all we have in that department. so santos must reduce his physical role somewhat while still keeping him involved....I'm not soccer tactical smart enough to suggest anything, maybe someone else can do that.......

and, a commentator said something that made lot of sense... frankly I never thought about it that way.. he said although greece does not generate many chances, they ARE GOOD ENOUGH to create opportunities to score when they need to rather than shoot 25 times and come up emtpy - its just not how they play. This guy was referring to holland and how many times they came up empty and drew Greece as a comparison......i think greece performance against poland, down one guy, etc etc really turned alot of peoples opinions around.

I would say it's time to make Salpi the captain. His solid work ethic and scorring ability can prove more of an inspiration to the team than anything Kara can offer.

I think Samaras would be my choice of post-Karagounis captain.

In any case, anyone but Katsouranis who shouldn't even be on the team!

leaders are born, not made. samaras would be a poor choice....he is waay to passive, disappears too much......dont know what goes on in the locker room, but from what i see on the field, and his body language, he would not be my choice.......

can he play in kara's position? i seem to remember him making some great passes to who elses(salpi) in what i believe was the ukraine game....seems to me he has good vision, can run and the ball sticks to his feet...dont know if he can cross well....

i agree when he's on, he is effective... no argument....euro is laways saying he is playing out of position....u think he can play mid field?

Karagounis is important as a captain who inspires the rest of the team. True, he's not the player he was 10 years ago but he can put in a solid 60'.

If you want Fetfatzidis and Ninis, whom do you omit from the attacking line, Salpingidis or Fortounis??? Or do you want either as a hitman?

I wouldn't omit anyone; I would play Mitroglou and Samaras up front or Gekas and Salpi.

My take for today. I hope Santos has the courage to aggressively chase a winning result. If Samaras and Ninis start the game that means Santos has not learned anything from the previous game. I also do not like Karagounis and Katsouranis in the game. Is there anybody left to play??? :LOL: :LOL: :blink: :box:

Throw in some young talent Santos. They'll make us all proud. :gr: I'm hoping for the best, but my prediction for the day is Greeks-Czechs 0-2

I agree with Irlandos, Karagounis is a key player, to be honest I think he is better than what he was in the world cup after seeing his performances in our last friendlies and against Poland, maybe because he was on the bench at panathinaikos and was rested all year. I agree he gives us inspiration and passion, ok he missed a penalty so what, messi and ronaldo have missed many. What I also like is, he hardly loses possession. However Irlandos I disagree that you think Samaras should be our new captain, he has no passion, he can't lift the team when we are low and he is not a leader. For me our new captain when Kara is gone should be either Salpigidis or Katsouranis even though many players have a problem with him, he has the experience and skills to be a captain.

Clover22, I think Ninis should start but not fetfa, I think fetfa is better coming of the bench and destroying the defence when they are tired and he is full of energy. Also another reason is, after watching Oly matches, I have noticed fetfa does not track back and help out in defence, something Salpigidis does really well. I would also really want to see Fortounis replace samaras.

These would be the two line-ups I would like to see Santos play.

--------------------------Chalkias------------------------------------

Torosidis-----------K.Papadopoulos------Katsou----------Holebas

----------------------------Maniatis------------------------------------

-----------------------Ninis---------Karagounis------------------------

Salpigidis-------------------------------------------------Fortounis----

-----------------------------Gekas-------------------------------------

--------------------------Chalkias------------------------------------

Torosidis-----------K.Papadopoulos------Katsou----------Tzavellas

-------------------------------Makos------------------------------------

-----------------------Maniatis---------Karagounis---------------------

Ninis-------------------------------------------------Fortounis----

-----------------------------Salpigidis-----------------------------------

PAME ELADARA!!!!!

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

i am not so pessimistic about this game....just a gut feeling.....we always play these types of teams well....their style suits our strengths. We can win this game even with a b plus effort........we dont need an A game for this victory....for me papadopoulos more than makes up for either of the losses at teh back, and im sure whoever is put in next ti him will have a very tightly defined, limited assignment...we NEED a GENERAL on the field today - a leader who can keep everyone focused and positioning tight and cohesive........

greece 2 cancelled checks 1

for me the key player in this game is Torosidis & Ninis........and the mids MUST MUST MUST push up......so much space at teh top of the box after penetration on the wings.....

Archived