Phantis Forums

Olympiakos - Metalist

Irlandos

Unbelievable... :o

Olympiakos fall apart and Metalist score twice in the last 10' to go through in the Europa League.

Megyeri can be blamed for both goals. :tdown:

Olympiakos were so bad in the last 15', Metalist should've scored at least 4 goals not two. They missed a penalty in the 77'.

Unbelievable... :tdown:

There are one of two ways to look at this.

Option 1) Megyeri made two huge errors that cost the team qualification. He's a very promising keeper but is only 21, all keepers make mistakes and he'll learn from this and grow. It's just one of those things.

All that is true but only when added to option 2...

Ernesto Valverde is the most overrated manager in the history of Greek football! In the first 30 mins Olympiakos were superb and should have been winning by 3 to 4 goals. In the 2nd half Olympiakos looked terrible! No pressing, no urgency, the passing was sloppy, it was like watching a training session in pre season! The biggest problem was that the team looked either lazy or lethargic. Why wasn't Valverde screaming at them to press? If they were too tired to press why didn't they maintain their shape?

Then once the tragic errors had been made Olympiakos turned to Diogo! :blink: Diogo is finished! Someone said on these boards that Valverde has managed to alter Diogo's game. Alter it to what exactly? A terrible level? There's a saying in the UK, if a striker is unable to score/finish, he's described as not being able to "hit a cow's arse with a banjo!" or "can't hit a barn door". Personally I think they are too complimentary for Diogo so I'll use a phrase that my Italian friend uses... Diogo couldn't hit a tree in a forest! So can someone please tell me why Mitroglou is on loan only for this over-paid bum to be in the squad?

Furthermore where on earth is Fetfatzidis? Valverde seems intent on destroying any young player with a Greek name! I remember when he was appointed as the manager he was told that his aim was to go far in Europe (because Sollied could only do the double without doing anything of note in Europe). During his two years at Olympiakos he went out to Anorthosis (ok we'll give him the benefit of the doubt because it was at the beginning of his reign) and then went out to St Ettiene when ASSE were relegation threatened. Now he's back he's struggling to win the league when PAO are a shambles, and he has just

gone out to Metalist in the Europa League.

One more point though... away at Rubin Olympiakos were superb and could have killed the game off in Russia. Olymp then came back to Greece, started well and did exactly what they did today: took their foot off the gas and allowed Rubin a number of opportunities. Carroll was in inspired form that night, do they think that the keeper will always be there to bail them out? Why didn't they learn their lesson? Arrogant, lazy and deserved what they got.

Olympiakos would have been eliminated by Rubin Kazan had it not been for Roy Carroll so what do Olympiakos do v. Metalist? Eliminate Roy Carroll out of the equation and finally get themselves out of Europe so they can concentrate on the Greek league and Cup.

The fans shouldn't mourn their money! After all, we mustn't forget the big derby is coming up and Olympiakos could not have gone all out last night. :P

Sorry but that's what it looked like yesterday :angry:

oly went to pieces when maniatis went of injured, after that metalist missed a penalty hit the post and scored twice, oly did not look like scoring in the second half, while fetfatzidis is ostracised and mitroglou can't stop scoring for atromitos.

Option 1) Megyeri made two huge errors that cost the team qualification. He's a very promising keeper but is only 21, all keepers make mistakes and he'll learn from this and grow. It's just one of those things.

Ernesto Valverde is the most overrated manager in the history of Greek football! In the first 30 mins Olympiakos were superb and should have been winning by 3 to 4 goals. In the 2nd half Olympiakos looked terrible! No pressing, no urgency, the passing was sloppy, it was like watching a training session in pre season! The biggest problem was that the team looked either lazy or lethargic. Why wasn't Valverde screaming at them to press? If they were too tired to press why didn't they maintain their shape?

Then once the tragic errors had been made Olympiakos turned to Diogo! :blink: Diogo is finished! Someone said on these boards that Valverde has managed to alter Diogo's game. Alter it to what exactly? A terrible level? There's a saying in the UK, if a striker is unable to score/finish, he's described as not being able to "hit a cow's arse with a banjo!" or "can't hit a barn door". Personally I think they are too complimentary for Diogo so I'll use a phrase that my Italian friend uses... Diogo couldn't hit a tree in a forest! So can someone please tell me why Mitroglou is on loan only for this over-paid bum to be in the squad?

Furthermore where on earth is Fetfatzidis? Valverde seems intent on destroying any young player with a Greek name! I remember when he was appointed as the manager he was told that his aim was to go far in Europe (because Sollied could only do the double without doing anything of note in Europe). During his two years at Olympiakos he went out to Anorthosis (ok we'll give him the benefit of the doubt because it was at the beginning of his reign) and then went out to St Ettiene when ASSE were relegation threatened. Now he's back he's struggling to win the league when PAO are a shambles, and he has just

One more point though... away at Rubin Olympiakos were superb and could have killed the game off in Russia. Olymp then came back to Greece, started well and did exactly what they did today: took their foot off the gas and allowed Rubin a number of opportunities. Carroll was in inspired form that night, do they think that the keeper will always be there to bail them out? Why didn't they learn their lesson? Arrogant, lazy and deserved what they got.

I agree with some of your views.

1) I was one that thought maybe Caroll should of started because of experience and because of how well he played with Rubin. However, while I'm uncertain of his exact shape since his injury, Valverde usually doesn't play a player coming back from injury right away... I disagree with this. If we had Nikopolidis for example and he was injured and came back, would you not play an experienced goalie?

2) I really don't know what happened in the second half... they did look like they were practising at Renti! The truth is Ibagaza & Maniatis really affected the midfield... There wasn't much of one. But they did all look lethargic and pooped out. It was disgusting to watch. Its like they wanted to lose!

About Diogo, I had recently mentioned about him that he has played well more so as a passer type player (under Valverde)... as a goal scorer I agree with you... he has lost his goal scoring mojo. But he isn't to blame, I mean he came in for under 10 minutes or so, what is he going to do? I would of liked to see Abdoun replaced Mirallas because Mirallas was gassed out with constant games.

Fetfatzidis should of at least been on the bench. Grant it that he did have a lot of chances earlier in the season and he played some well and some not so well.

One thing is for sure, if Torosidis's header which hit the goalpost (and the other missed goalpost) had made it then 2-0, I think it would of been over.

I believe Marinakis should go after this Taison (or Tyson?) player, this guy is unbelievable.

Yes, they build a lead and they seem to "sit" on it and many times they are lucky but yesterday they did get what they deserved!

It's too bad, a good Olympiakos (i.e. like in the first half) should not of been eliminated by this Ukrainian inexperienced team. I mean they were missing 3 starters! It's a real shame! :tdown:

A bad goodbye by Oly.

I know Metalisk from the matches aganist to Istanbul Teams before, they eleminated Besiktas and won to Galatasaray before in UEFA cup. They are an unexperienced but very dangerous team. This kind of teams from Ukrain, Russia and East Europe always dangerous and needs to be taken really serious.

Then once the tragic errors had been made Olympiakos turned to Diogo!  :blink:  Diogo is finished! Someone said on these boards that Valverde has managed to alter Diogo's game. Alter it to what exactly? A terrible level? There's a saying in the UK, if a striker is unable to score/finish, he's described as not being able to "hit a cow's arse with a banjo!" or "can't hit a barn door". Personally I think they are too complimentary for Diogo so I'll use a phrase that my Italian friend uses... Diogo couldn't hit a tree in a forest! So can someone please tell me why Mitroglou is on loan only for this over-paid bum to be in the squad? 

I agree with some of your views.

1) I was one that thought maybe Caroll should of started because of experience and because of how well he played with Rubin. However, while I'm uncertain of his exact shape since his injury, Valverde usually doesn't play a player coming back from injury right away... I disagree with this. If we had Nikopolidis for example and he was injured and came back, would you not play an experienced goalie?

2) I really don't know what happened in the second half... they did look like they were practising at Renti! The truth is Ibagaza & Maniatis really affected the midfield... There wasn't much of one. But they did all look lethargic and pooped out. It was disgusting to watch. Its like they wanted to lose!

About Diogo, I had recently mentioned about him that he has played well more so as a passer type player (under Valverde)... as a goal scorer I agree with you... he has lost his goal scoring mojo. But he isn't to blame, I mean he came in for under 10 minutes or so, what is he going to do? I would of liked to see Abdoun replaced Mirallas because Mirallas was gassed out with constant games.

Fetfatzidis should of at least been on the bench. Grant it that he did have a lot of chances earlier in the season and he played some well and some not so well.

One thing is for sure, if Torosidis's header which hit the goalpost (and the other missed goalpost) had made it then 2-0, I think it would of been over.

I believe Marinakis should go after this Taison (or Tyson?) player, this guy is unbelievable.

Yes, they build a lead and they seem to "sit" on it and many times they are lucky but yesterday they did get what they deserved!

It's too bad, a good Olympiakos (i.e. like in the first half) should not of been eliminated by this Ukrainian inexperienced team. I mean they were missing 3 starters! It's a real shame! :tdown:

Diogo is to blame. He became over weight and lost his mojo the last time he was at Olymp. Then he went to Brazil and failed miserably. Now he's returned to Olymp and still can't score. He's useless. He isn't half the striker Mitroglou is and it's inexcusable that he is at Olymp and Mitroglou is on loan.

As for Fetfa he was very good in some games and in others didn't really have an impact on the game. But if you want the kid to be class he needs to play consistently. You can't expect him to be superb all the time when he's left to rot on the bench for so long. What has Kazim done since he's been at Olymp? Nothing. Why is he ahead of him in the pecking order when it's clear he isn't Olympiakos material. Valverde will win Olympiakos the league because everyone else is useless, but if you want a successful Olympiakos team long term then he isn't the man to lead them in my opinion.

Haydar, yes they are dangerous but they were beaten. Olympiakos should have won this comfortably. They didn't have a shot on goal in the 2nd leg until the 78th minute and they ended up qualifying. Come to think of it I can't remember the Ukranians creating a real chance at home either

Archived