Phantis Forums

Greece - Belgium

Genome

I didn't watch the game but I did watch both goals and they were both sloppy.

I recorder and am now watching US vs. Italia (so don't you dare tell me the final score) and thus far the US is holding its own. They seem very fit and they are running their hearts out but they seem to lack imagination up front. Italy on the other hand are obviously world class, I think the GNT is in trouble heading to the Euro.

I'd have to disagree with Irlandos and agree with Lazarus instead. It was a terrible performance and certainly not a good game. We couldn't string 2 passes together! Had nothing in midfield from an attacking sense, no width, Gekas was isolated and the passing was poor. On top of that we conceded yet another set piece! (We've conceded numerous set pieces in big games: against Argentina, S.Korea and Nigeria at the world Cup - in other words in every game we played at the Mundial - as well as the qualifier against Switzerland a couple of years back). It's unacceptable when we have a tall team.

What worries me is that the Greek media and Santos have been saying that Greece played with heart but no real intellect. What heart?? We weren't pressing! When passes would be made everyone would be too lazy to then move to make himself available for a pass, no one from midfield tracked runners, etc. Papastathopoulos and K.Pap were great but apart from that no one showed up.

For me this was another wasted friendly! Why give Fortunis a game? The kid is not ready! All the 23 that are going to gel and try new systems. Personally I'd have played this team in the first half:

3-5-2.

---------------------------------------Chiotis------------------------------------------

--------------------Sokratis----------K.Pap------------Avraam-----------------------

Torosidis----------Fetfa--------------Maniatis--------------Fotakis----------Holebas

---------------------------Salpi--------------------Gekas------------------------------

2nd half 4-3-3.

---------------------------------------Chiotis------------------------------------------

Sokratis-------------------K.Pap-----------------Avraam----------------Zaradoukas

-------------------Torosidis----------Maniatis-----------Karagounis-----------------

Fetfa---------------------------------Mitroglou-------------------------------Holebas

Trying new systems and including players that I would def take. Not wasting time playing Karnezis, Fortunis, etc, and giving the likes of Fetfa just 5 mins! We need time to find a balance between work-rate/defensive solidity, and attacking fluid football. As things are we, and Santos, learned nothing from the last friendly before he has to pick the squad.

I disagree: there were things we learned from the friendly:

1. Fortounis should never be recalled

2. Our defence needs plenty of work as we have regressed into the era of trying to catch up with forwards that have passed us.

3. MUCH practice needs to be done on set plays (corner kicks and free kicks)

The gk issue is a big one: Karnezis was not tested enough. Should we give him another shot, bring Chiotis from Lefkosia, go with Tzorvas or trust Kapino? Or should we hope that Sifakis recovers enough to get a chance?

Btw, I like that formation with Holebas on the left and Torosidis on the right of the midfield! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived