Phantis Forums

Nikos Dimitrakos of San Hose Sharks

I have no problem with that, but the athletes should have real Greek blood in them, not like some of the "fake Greeks" that made a basketball careers in Greece in the past.

Take the Greek NT hockey team for example. The majority of the players were omogeni from Canada/US, Czech Republic or Russia. Unfortunately the sport authorities in Greece have not supported the team financially, and it appears that hockey in Greece is dead. There are no ice rinks available anymore in Greece, and even the NT's web site seems to have closed down.

Truth is that virgin births of sports in a country that did not give birth to them wholeheartedly are not destined for an easy ride or an easy start at least.

However, we do have regions in the nothrthern parts of Greece and some in Peloponisos where cold and snow are not that unfammiliar (the contrary) and it amazes me when I find out how little involvement those people have with Winter Sports. Maybe the winter sport efforts for development could start "up" there first to have more chances of success!? Then again the infrastructure needed is too much for them ...

Anyway, maybe in the future.

There some good ski centres in Greece, but Greece never had any good skiers.

As for Ice-Hockey, the last ice rink, which was located at Moschato closed down earlier this year, and there is no place for the hockey players to practice.

• 7 months later...

Do you agree with that talk of building NTs for sports like , say Hockey or Baseball, from Pople of Greek Descent for Olympics and other sports gatherings like that?

i see no reason why not. greek people living abroad are greeks first wether they like it or not. with the exeption of some people for example who only have a greek grandmother or something like some of the b aseball players and have no sense of hellenic identity whatsoever should not be alllowed...

• 1 year later...

I realize this is a very late post, but I just thought I'd add some details here.

If you went around and asked hockey fans in America or even Canada who Niko Dimitrakos is, they probably would not know. San Jose fans would, maybe fans of teams in the same division as San Jose, but not many other people. He is a (fairly young, if I remember correctly) small-time player, and in 2003-2004 he was a fourth-line scrub, basically. He did step it up in the playoffs of the same year, as he provided the only goal in a game that San Jose won 1-0 after numerous (three, if I remember correctly) overtime periods. He assisted on 8 goals in that same postseason. It was the first time where he was producing frequently.

As for this season, I haven't heard much about him, but I'm sure he has improved his play, especially with the new, more offense-friendly rules of the National Hockey League.

Archived