Phantis Forums

Playoffs EURO 2012

Irlandos

If Fotakis had not come up with that long shot against Georgia, it would've been Greece - Turkey in the playoffs!

Can you imagine what would happen if the away team in that matchup pulled an upset victory, say with the help of the referee? :la:

The playoffs for the last four spots of Euro 2012 are:

Turkey - Croatia

Estonia - Eire

Czechland - Montenegro

Bosnia - Portugal

I can see no surprises for the last three pairs...

Turkey and Croaita; Interesting drawing.

No one can guess what will happen, i can see all scores possible.

It is good that Turkey will play the last match away because experiences show that Turkey has pain to play at home last match because away gols disadvantage. It is very easy to score goal to Turkey while it is difficult no to be scored by Turkey. If Turkey could get a score 1-0 at home Turkey pases to final.

It is obvious that Turkish NT is not the NT who was 3th in 2002 WC and Euro2008, Croatia is also weaker than 2008.

Meanwhile Bilic said that they are pleased to match with Turkey even it is toughtest draw, they will have the chance to take revenge of the 2008.

Blic interview

• 3 weeks later...

Having seen Portugal struggle against Denmark and Norway, Bosnia may end up being their nemesis this time. Portugal is terribly overrated as we have seen in the WC 2010 and EURO qualifiers. I think it's a 50-50.

I'd be delighted to see a Latvia-like shock from Eesti against Ireland, but I think it's highly unlikely.

In Czech Rep v Montenegro, anything can happen. Czechs are not what they used to be, plus the fact that after Ujfalusi and Grygera's national retirements, their defence has been very poor. It's a 51-49, Czechs being slight favourites.

Croatia came from a relatively easy group as runners-up. I doubt they would end up as runners-up in our group if they played the likes of Austria, Germany and Belgium. They have a good core in Pletikosa, Corluka, Kranjcar, Modric and Petric. But injuries have been their main problem. Turkey, on the other hand, is a new team as former stars such as Tuncay, Nihat, Semih, Ruştu are now all replaced by younger players. Hiddink has the experience while Bilic has the fire and arrogance that can drive the team to success and/or failure. Turkey were awful against Germany both at home and away, while having pretty solid outings against Austria and Belgium, winning at home while drawing away with both. Meanwhile, Turkey lost to Azerbaijan and beat Kazakhstan on 90+7 minutes. Thi tie is a big question mark in my opinion, and anything can happen. If Turkey can get a 2-0 in the first leg, the tie should be over. If it's a 1-0, then I'd say Turkey would be the favourites.

By the way, why you Greeks are always in the easiest group of all qualifiers?? :P

Turkey were awful against Germany both at home and away.

i saw those games differently especially the last game, i thought germany were outstanding, absolutely unplayable their pace on the break and their workrate were magnificent, very few teams - if any - would have beaten germany that day and they did it without ozil too, they have such a young side the future's looking good for germany.

as for the qualifiers i'll go for turkey ireland and czech republic, bosnia were unfortunate they should have beaten france and won their group and then they ended up with the most difficult possible opponents, i can't pick a winner between them and portugal.

By the way, why you Greeks are always in the easiest group of all qualifiers?? 

its just as well because we wouldn't be anywhere near the finals otherwise.

I was thinking the same thing: if Croatia could beat Turkey 3-0 away, our lads deserve much praise for coming through a group with them!

Btw, how on earth did Estonia take 2nd place over Serbia??? I saw them in Windsor Park and they were nothing special. And yesterday against the Republic they were really out of it.

I was thinking the same thing: if Croatia could beat Turkey 3-0 away, our lads deserve much praise for coming through a group with them!

Btw, how on earth did Estonia take 2nd place over Serbia??? I saw them in Windsor Park and they were nothing special. And yesterday against the Republic they were really out of it.

If it was Estonia again Turkey would be beaten...

Yesterday i even couldn't watch the game in second half, i couldn't stand to see it. Croatia could do it more like 0-5, they tolerated the game after 0-3.

Turkey couldn't find ''any'' position can you imagine? there weren't any player did his job. And Croatia scored 3 goals with an average game... Hiding watch the game from his seat from 1st second untill last second...

As summary it was disaster, i ''ashamed'' to support Tukish National Team.

Tehere is no need to pay treasure to Hidding, there is no hope fpr Turkish NT for next 5 years.

Croatia-Turkey underway in Zagreb.

CROATIA

1 Pletikosa(GK)

3 Simunic

13 Schildenfeld

19 Vida

6 Pranjic

7 Rakitic

8 Vukojevic

10 Modric

11 Srna(Captain)

17 Mandzukic