Phantis Forums

Vieirinha

pao123

or vierinhiopoulos... :D

this has been the topic of discussion in the news the last couple of days...i believe it is all just talk and news for the reporters to fill their time with but in 2 years he can be eligible to play for the Greek NT assuming he remains in greece..

there has been talks that the player has considered the option, that hes had a word with santos about it..

i was wondering everyones opinions?

legally i know he has the right in two years to play for us and obviously he would be an INCREDIBLE asset to the team, but in my opinion i dont think he should play for us...he is portugese, he feels portugese, he doesnt even speak greek and has only been here for 3 years. he has been capped nearly 100 times at the portugese youth levels and has always dreamed to play for them. i dont think he should play for us, just because he isnt getting into their mens team. i believe he could make it into PNT if he moved from paok and proved himself (which he would) in a bigger league.

in acouple other instances i wouldnt have a problem with this:

1.) if the player was part of the greek diaspora...like avraam who was born in australia, or a person of greek blood born elsewhere around the world. alot of us are part of this group and still feel as greek as if we were born there...

2.) in the event if someone like cleyton or leonardo wanted to play for us..leonardo has spent basically his whole career in greece, has been here since he was 18, he speaks greek and has been here coming up on 7 years. cleyton has been here for nearly a decade, actually speaks greek extremely well and also has basically spent his entire career here and will probably remain here after he retires...

its strange because i cant even draw the line...and i know my thought on this are quite....unmeasurable so when do we say "yes he deserves to wear the jersey" and "no he shouldnt"??

does he really have a greek wife?

doesnt really make a big difference to me, but i didnt know that...

personally i have no idea, but regardless, who cares? i mean he said "It's my dream to play for portugal but if that doesn't happen perhaps I will play for Greece". We have players like Fetfa, Koutsianikoulis, etc, that are struggling to get a game and whose dream it is to play for Greece and we are going to play Vieirinha instead? He has a Greek wife and likes the country? Great, help PAOK. This is the national team we're talking about.

I made the point in another thread, so forgive me for repeating it.

If Greek clubs don't use Greek players, where do you think the national team will find good ones in the future?

I can surely see that foreign-born players who become citizens can play for the NT.

It's been done already. Even in the Olympics it's possible now.

Archived