Phantis Forums

Greece - Croatia

tihio10

you gotta love the british press. this was the scottish sun's take on events.

HOWARD WEBB was forced to suspend GREECE'S 2-0 win over CROATIA amid ugly scenes in Athens.

The English ref held up play for six minutes as the top-two clash in Group F descended into chaos after Greek thugs stormed into the away fans.

Just after kick-off flares, petrol bombs and seats rained down on the visiting supporters.

Riot police responded with pepper spray.

When play resumed, late goals from Theofanis Gekas and Celtic's Giorgio Samaras sent Greece top.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...ht-in-riot.html

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it any surprise? no....the media up there is constantly anti-greek...

great win but we dont have enough time to celebrate as if we dont pick up a point with georgia we are back to second place.

malezas and skondras have been called in place of avraam and torosidi...

zaradouka and samaras are both out as well but i believe kyriako is back with us which will help solve our defensive abscences and with gekas back, we have some options for up top.

we are unbeaten now in 15 matches and have not lost since argentina...and since santos has been in charge...its time to make it 16

Ok so I just got back from Karaiskaki... I'm wondering if any of what I saw came across to you guys because I'm not reading anything about it here.

Croatian fans were awful. Everything went downhill after the national hymns, where they started throwing fotovolides at our fans, tried throwing a molotov (!) at our fans which, retarded as they were, hit their own section, threw chairs and everything they could find at the MAT that surrounded them (and kept them surrounded for the remainder of the game). I guess the ever so lovely Hajduk Split fans had a lot to do with this.

After the 1-0 they kept their mouth shut for the rest of the game though (I have some lovely vids of our fans' reaction :D).

Having said that the atmosphere on our side was superb, I have quite a bit of footage of stuff going on both on and off the field which I will post when I'm back home.

Now, let's concentrate on not shooting ourselves in the foot and getting the result vs. Georgia.

My feed was a little choppy, but what did the PA Announcer keep saying, because he wasn't just announcing goals or substitutions. Were they issuing like warnings or procedures for the Croatian visitors or anything like that?
@XXX-18T pics coming up later on today!

Announcer was asking not to use lasers, and not to react to their behaviour.

you gotta love the british press. this was the scottish sun's take on events.

HOWARD WEBB was forced to suspend GREECE'S 2-0 win over CROATIA amid ugly scenes in Athens.

The English ref held up play for six minutes as the top-two clash in Group F descended into chaos after Greek thugs stormed into the away fans.

Just after kick-off flares, petrol bombs and seats rained down on the visiting supporters.

Riot police responded with pepper spray.

When play resumed, late goals from Theofanis Gekas and Celtic's Giorgio Samaras sent Greece top.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...ht-in-riot.html

This is an extremely one sided and wrong rendition of the facts ...

Tbh it looked to me as if the Croats had started everything. Then I watched on tv, saw absolutely nothing from the Greek side but the commentator saying that some koukouloforoi had attacked the Croats ...

Then I saw the Croats behaving like major a'holes for the rest of the game until the first goal fell ...

The molotov definitely looked like it came from the Croat section. That is also what I read in the Greek news afterwards.

Great stuff Genome, i must admit from the tv it didn't look like our fans were responsible so it's good to hear from you. Hopefully UEFA are given accurate reports. Croatian fans can be horrible fans anyway. A few years ago they were away at Malta and stood in a formation to create a human swastika <_< nice guys!

As for the game, it was one of the worst performances ever in the first half, in the 2nd we were much better and it's a wonderful result. I just hope we don't do what we did in Latvia and throw it all away.

Archived