Phantis Forums

Olympiakos vs Marseille

Euro2004

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Olympiakos don't win this then they can already kiss their hopes good bye. The good news is that Marseille can't buy a win right now! I saw their game vs Rennes tonight, they lost 1-0 at home.

First half: Tight and uneventful, Rennes had a couple of chances on the break, but Marseille had 1 real opportunity and it was they really should have scored from it.

Second half: Marseille were the much better team. This coincided with 2 things. 1) the intro of Gignac who looked very lively. 2.) Rennes played a higher defensive line which helped Marseille find space in behind them.

Pretty much ALL of Renne's opportunities came on the break, exposing Marseille's disorganised defensive high line. Marseille looked at their best when using their great individual physical ability (pace and power) down the flanks with Gignac as the target man in the middle. So if I was Valverde I'd place an emphasis on keeping it tight at the back for the first half. Make SURE Olympiakos deal with them phsyically and hope that they are ambitious, because if they play a high line I'd get Ibagaza on the ball and get him to search for through balls because Mirallas could find space in behind in that manner. If at half time Olympiakos aren't getting joy or if Marseille are clearly content with a draw and are keeping it tight then a plan b needs to come in to it. Either way the key is to keep it tight at the back because their defence looks very disorganised and will give up opportunities.

Pretty much everything i said here seems to be pretty accurate. Marseille's biggest threat has come from individual phsyical superioty (the header from a corner early on, and Remy out pacing Avraam before cutting in to hit the post).

At the other end Marseille's high line does look disorganised and as predicted they aren't putting pressure on the ball! And in the 9th min Olympiakos had 2 potentially dangerous through balls. One was under hit, the other was intercepted by an Olympiakos player! :blink:

Olympiakos have to press more effectively like they did in the first 20 mins and attack down Marseille's left where Morel and Traore look poor positionally speaking. It's concerning that Olympiakos' work rate has fallen in midfield. There's no pressing and they have no shape. Very disjointed and not at all impressive. Why is Fetfa not even on the bench? And are you telling me Mitroglou wouldn't get in to this team? I don't like Valverde

Just saw 6 min-long highlights of the match.

The goal is a well-taken one but you have to consider the RB, RCB and LCB, especially the one who I could not figure out who he was but was somersault-divetackling (!) Lucho before he hit the ball!! That was a strange piece of defending, or lack of it. :unsure:

The Olympiakos goalie did not inspire me, too. Without knowing who he was, he seems to be a typical South American goalkeeper who seems to dive but actually falls on to the spot he is based prior to diving, like Sergio Romero or our legendary GK Faryd Mondragon used to do. Is he South American?

Anyway, you won't miss Nikopolidis, will you? At least this one won't let things in like from 40 yards. :whistle:

I've never rated Djebbour even in his hot days at AEK. He is not good enough to remain in the team. And Akritis, you are spot on with your judgment. Fuster who?? :(

And where was Fetfatsidis?? Who will get the crosses in, Grigoris Georgatos??!!! :ph34r:

Olympiakos will battle with Dortmund for third place in this group, I feel, most probably losing it out.

The Olympiakos goalie did not inspire me, too. Without knowing who he was, he seems to be a typical South American goalkeeper who seems to dive but actually falls on to the spot he is based prior to diving, like Sergio Romero or our legendary GK Faryd Mondragon used to do. Is he South American?

Franco Constanzo - he's Argentinian

Archived