Phantis Forums

Olympiakos vs Marseille

Euro2004

I know it's abit early to be talking about Olympiakos vs Marseille considering it isn't until next week, but I'm bored :P

Marseille have some excellent players but there's rumours that one or two aren't happy there, such as Gignac and Lucho Gonzalez. Marseille have also yet to win a game in the league this season, drawing 3 and losing 1, conceding 7 goals in the process and scoring 6. They do have some very good players though like the 2 mentioned as well as M'Bia, Loic Remy, Alou Diarra, Valbuena, etc, so Olympiakos will have to be at their best. To have a realistic chance of progressing this is a must win

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be honest with you I believe that this is Olympiacos's biggest game of the group stage. They need to start off well and anything positive ( draw or win) will definitely help their chances...

There's two things that as Olympiacos fans that we need to worry..

(a) Marseille must win at some point

(B) Marseille have already had league matches to Olympiacos's none..

If Olympiakos don't win this then they can already kiss their hopes good bye. The good news is that Marseille can't buy a win right now! I saw their game vs Rennes tonight, they lost 1-0 at home.

First half: Tight and uneventful, Rennes had a couple of chances on the break, but Marseille had 1 real opportunity and it was they really should have scored from it.

Second half: Marseille were the much better team. This coincided with 2 things. 1) the intro of Gignac who looked very lively. 2.) Rennes played a higher defensive line which helped Marseille find space in behind them.

Pretty much ALL of Renne's opportunities came on the break, exposing Marseille's disorganised defensive high line. Marseille looked at their best when using their great individual physical ability (pace and power) down the flanks with Gignac as the target man in the middle. So if I was Valverde I'd place an emphasis on keeping it tight at the back for the first half. Make SURE Olympiakos deal with them phsyically and hope that they are ambitious, because if they play a high line I'd get Ibagaza on the ball and get him to search for through balls because Mirallas could find space in behind in that manner. If at half time Olympiakos aren't getting joy or if Marseille are clearly content with a draw and are keeping it tight then a plan b needs to come in to it. Either way the key is to keep it tight at the back because their defence looks very disorganised and will give up opportunities.

Marseille have now played 5 league games, drawn 3, lost 2. Olympiakos HAS to believe they can win this and MUST play as if it's the only acceptable result.

Elsewhere, Arsenal unconvincingly beat newly promoted Swansea 1-0 while Dortmund lost 2-0 at home to Hertha Berlin.

BELIEVE!

If Olympiakos don't win this then they can already kiss their hopes good bye. The good news is that Marseille can't buy a win right now! I saw their game vs Rennes tonight, they lost 1-0 at home.

First half: Tight and uneventful, Rennes had a couple of chances on the break, but Marseille had 1 real opportunity and it was they really should have scored from it.

Second half: Marseille were the much better team. This coincided with 2 things. 1) the intro of Gignac who looked very lively. 2.) Rennes played a higher defensive line which helped Marseille find space in behind them.

Pretty much ALL of Renne's opportunities came on the break, exposing Marseille's disorganised defensive high line. Marseille looked at their best when using their great individual physical ability (pace and power) down the flanks with Gignac as the target man in the middle. So if I was Valverde I'd place an emphasis on keeping it tight at the back for the first half. Make SURE Olympiakos deal with them phsyically and hope that they are ambitious, because if they play a high line I'd get Ibagaza on the ball and get him to search for through balls because Mirallas could find space in behind in that manner. If at half time Olympiakos aren't getting joy or if Marseille are clearly content with a draw and are keeping it tight then a plan b needs to come in to it. Either way the key is to keep it tight at the back because their defence looks very disorganised and will give up opportunities.

Marseille have now played 5 league games, drawn 3, lost 2. Olympiakos HAS to believe they can win this and MUST play as if it's the only acceptable result.

Elsewhere, Arsenal unconvincingly beat newly promoted Swansea 1-0 while Dortmund lost 2-0 at home to Hertha Berlin.

BELIEVE!

I do agree with you that if Olympiakos has any chance of advancing, they must win the first game with Marseille.

The good news is that Marseille isn't playing well enough and neither is Dortmund and Arsenal doesn't seem unbeatable... but what troubles me is that Olympiakos haven't played any League games and outside of OFI, they haven't played many friendly games either the last while... So anything is possible.

Ibagaza will most likely not be available...

We will see what happens...

I agree with you, Euro2004: this is the biggest game for Olympiakos. A win here and all will look good. A draw or Marseille win will put the French in the driver's seat for second place as I can't see Arsenal not taking this group.

To be honest I believe Dortmund will really push Arsenal for the group. This Arsenal team is less than convincing and I have a feeling Dortmund will win tonight. Olympiakos really do need Arsenal to run away with the group and hope they can get a win at home to them on the last game when they have nothing to play for (like they did 2 years ago). Either way I still think Olympiakos will lose all the away games, draw to Marseille at home, lose to Dortmund at home. Can't predict the last game vs Arsenal because I have no idea who they'll play but i'm expect between 1 and 2 points for Olymp. I really hope i'm wrong. We'll know more after tonight. Good luck :gr:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I think Olympiakos have a real chance of winning the group. I believe that this group is the most even of all CL-groups. The key to succes is not to lose tonights game. A draw would not be ideal, but not a disaster either. If we lose it's an uphill battle from there on.......do i get a sport cliches award or summik?

:LOL:

"I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I think Olympiakos have a real chance of winning the group. When I hit top prize on the lottery! I believe that this group is the most even of all CL-groups. Actually, the odds are very much against Olympiakos The key to succes is not to lose tonights game. A draw would not be ideal, but not a disaster either. It would be a disaster of unimaginable proportions If we lose it's an uphill battle from there on If you lose, abandon the rest of the games and concentrate on the Greek League .......do i get a sport cliches award or summik? Summik, whatever that is

OLYMPIAKOS

17 Costanzo(GK)

3 Modesto

4 Mellberg

20 Holebas

21 Papadopoulos

35 Torosidis(Captain)

8 Fejsa

19 Fuster

33 Yeste

93 Abdoun

14 Mirallas