Phantis Forums

Oly Volou in the Europa League

Irlandos

Olympiakos Volou will participate in the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa Cup.

Their opponents shall be the winners of 1st round matchup between FK Rad of Serbia and SP Tre Penne of San Marino (a no-brainer if you ask me!).

Oly's first game will be away.

if they were involved in fixed matches, then i dont want them to play in europe...another thing and the truth is, in all fairness (which is not always represented in law) if beos' money made from illegal gambling helped fuel signings, salary payments, ktl ktl, then for me they deserve to be out of europe as well..

on one end i feel for the players because they worked so hard throughout the season but on the other end, an organization includes EVERYONE, especially the people in charge of the club. if the president is corrupt and this corruption led to the benefit of his club, then his club should be punished as well..im not familiar with these types of laws in greece, so i cant say to the word of the law, what is punishable and what is not..

• 2 weeks later...

Olympiakos Volou debuted in Europe with a fantastic 1-0 victory in Belgrade over Rad!!! :tup:

The visitors' goal was scored 3 minutes from time by Juan Martin.

Olympiakos Volou are now favoured to advance into the next round of the Europa League. :)

Olympiakos Volou got through by the skin of their teeth!  :blink:

They needed a late penalty to equalise Rad 1-1 and go through to the next round where they will meet Differdange of Luxembourg.

To be honest i think a lot of this is down to arrogance. All Greek/Cypriot teams tend to have poor results at home in the 2nd leg when they did well in the first leg and i can only put it down to a poor mentality.

Remember the semi final of the UEFA Cup when PAO won 0-1 in Porto only to lose at home?

Or PAOK beating Valerenga 1-2 away but losing 0-1 at Toumba.

Aris winning comfortably at Jagiellonia 1-2 (but went 0-2 up), yet in the 2nd leg they were 1-2 down and needed a penalty to level the leg at 2-2.

I know Anorthosis actually played the first leg at home the other day but they are so much stronger than Gagra yet they only won 3-2 on agg after winning the first leg 3-0!

It's a mentality thing, the assume the job is done after the first away leg and become unprofessional in their approach. Sometimes it happens before the first leg has even been played :LOL: I remember the Olympiakos players were talking about playing Milan before they even face St Etienne and they ended up getting battered. Point is i have little doubt that Volos would beat Rad again if they played again today and they'll crush Differdange

Edited by Euro2004

In about an hour's time, Olympiakos Volou play in Luxembourg v. Differdange in the 3rd qualifying round of the Europa League.

I don't know how the recent events have affected the Voliotes. I hope they haven't as football should be played on the pitch.

I hope we see a good game tonight.

I thought Volos was relegated and that UEAFA would kick them out. This is weird. If a team was caught cheating (yes, the owner, etc) that gave it an advantage over other teams, then why is it allowed to continue? It now has financial benefits from playing in europe. no?