Phantis Forums

Changes for 2011-12

Irlandos

I am sure that most of you agree that AEK failed last season to achieve their true potential.

What reasonable changes do you think AEK should make for a better 2012 season?

Who should leave? Which player would you like to see in yellow-black? Can we hope for the near future or would you rather see a long-term effort to build a strong AEK?

A long term effort is always good but we've seen what happens if the people that start it leave ...

We didn't reach our full potential, yet this mediocre team save a couple of class players (Lybe, Dellas, Manolas, Makos (!), Kafes and some others) that play for the shirt, were still able to get us the first piece of silverware in years.

I think first and foremost we should keep Jimenez!

I am sure that most of you agree that AEK failed last season to achieve their true potential.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I think AEK overachieved actually, by winning a title.

What was their "true potential"? I thought given the situation and the roster, etc, AEK coudn't have done better. The club was out of contention really.

PAO should have beaten Oly at Karaiskaki, and they wouldn't have given up after that dispeakable game, but no other team could match these 2.

As one of the prevalent teams in Greece, yes, AEK should be stronger.

I think the only true potential we had was our name. The team itself was mediocre at best. I am happy that both Blanco and Scocco are gone. As good as Scocco was, he was very inconsistent and I think when he was "getting lost on the pitch" he was an anchor for the team.

I am still very weary of Manolo. I think he might be a good tactician and motivator, but I think his decisions on game days are mediocre at best. For example, why was the hottest player of the playoffs not even included in the last two games????? <_< <_< <_<

I know they dont want to get rid of him for his $$$ and that they were paying 3 coaches for the second half of last season... And they will not want to get rid of him until the end of next season, but I have a feeling that he will be leaving early.

Scocco was a vendetta who played when he felt like it. Granted, when he felt like it, he carried the team.

Blanco's best years were behind him but I was disappointed to see him go.

Guerreiro has had his chances but hasn't lived up to his potential.

Makos is improving but I am still having nightmares of his first season.

Diop has great ball skills and a good head on him but is much too slow.

Would you say Georgeas and Karambelas are players for AEK?

Imo are best players are veterans Kafes, Lybe and Dellas. Maybe we can build a squad of young players around them and hope for the future?

Scocco was a vendetta who played when he felt like it. Granted, when he felt like it, he carried the team.

Blanco's best years were behind him but I was disappointed to see him go.

Guerreiro has had his chances but hasn't lived up to his potential.

Makos is improving but I am still having nightmares of his first season.

Diop has great ball skills and a good head on him but is much too slow.

Would you say Georgeas and Karambelas are players for AEK?

Imo are best players are veterans Kafes, Lybe and Dellas. Maybe we can build a squad of young players around them and hope for the future?

I agree with you in some parts. Yes Scocco only played when he felt like it so in a way i am glad he is gone. I believe we can get some one else that will probably play more consistend.

Blanco: Not his fault. The past couple of years he did not played in his position. If you can remember some games he played right back!!!!Sad to see him go because he at least played with passion every game. He will be missed.

Guerreiro: Ante gia!!!!!See you later!!!!

Makos: Best player for us this year!! Defenetly a change from the first season. He played very well imo this season, so i think he will even do better next season.

Diop: I agree with 100%

Georgeas and Karambelas are players for AEK? Georgeas defently YES!!!!!!! When not injured he can be a great right back. Karabelas not really sure!! He tryes really hard but thats it,nothing else from him. Good choice of the bench.

Kafes, Lybe and Dellas. Oi kolones tis AEK!!!! But lets not forget that they are old.

Kafes, Lybe and Dellas. Oi kolones tis AEK!!!! But lets not forget that they are old.

So, let's use them as teachers for the young generation of players who will, one day, bring AEK back into contention for the title! :)

So, let's use them as teachers for the young generation of players who will, one day, bring AEK back into contention for the title! :)

Great thought... Lets see what happens around Nov when we are middle of the table again... Will the fans remember we are building for the future?

Dava-G:

We should have done the rebuilding when Demis took over the reins at AEK. If we had, we would have been contenders by now. Instead we had a long list of mercenaries come in whilst the players we did produce or develop (e.g. Moras, Papastathopoulos) we lost.

I can understand sacrifices (e.g. 6th place finishes) if I can see a brighter future but if we are going to have the same situation for the next 10 years... :tdown:

(Btw, my last quote also applies to Papandreou's economic policies) :tdown:

I am extremely happy that Dellas and Lymbe have stayed but we can not compete for the league with our current players, one of our best players Scocco has left and we are not going to find a replacement half as good as he was and for Blanco he was not as good as he's first season but he was a decent striker. AEK are after Segunda division players and Ligue 2 players. Cala and Jose Carlos are most likely not coming to AEK as we offered them a terrible offer. We offered Cala 140K and Jose Carlos 90K and both players were appalled. Cala requested a 300K contract and Jose Carlos asked for a 200K contract and we cannot offer them that. Guys I am not looking forward to next season with the way AEK are going. Even Aris are going for better players. They signed Castillo on a 2-year deal with a contract worth 600K per-season, a contract AEK are no way near willing to offer. The are going after a Argentinian international Luciano Figueroa unlike AEK going after Quini a third division player and Alexis Allart a Ligue 2 player. We are also after Iceland players who I think produce terrible players. We only want them because Gretarsson is from there not because they are good. If we want to compete for the league we need a new LB, LW, RW, ST and CM. If we don not feel in the positions with good players kiss the league good bye.

By the way sorry for not posting for a long period I have been really busy with work.

Dava-G:

We should have done the rebuilding when Demis took over the reins at AEK. If we had, we would have been contenders by now. Instead we had a long list of mercenaries come in whilst the players we did produce or develop (e.g. Moras, Papastathopoulos) we lost.

I can understand sacrifices (e.g. 6th place finishes) if I can see a brighter future but if we are going to have the same situation for the next 10 years... :tdown:

(Btw, my last quote also applies to Papandreou's economic policies) :tdown:

Irlandos:

I agree. Remember, when Demis took over he had a 5 year plan of rebuilding. Problem is, after this third year he got greedy and signed Rivaldo for a ton of $$$. And the year after, he got rid of the entire team and signed a brand new team!!!!

I liked his vision at first, but he had too much pressures from many, many areas and got greedy to satisfy those pressures. Instead of sticking to the plan he had made in the first place.

I dont think we will be doing any rebuilding anytime soon. No one wants to wait. And honestly, I dont think Manolo wants to wait either. He wants ready made players that can compete at a top level. Well we will not be getting those players any time soon... no $$$$.

I see a couple more mid table years until no more high priced players want to come. At that point, we will save $$$ and balance ourselves again.

The papers are saying that Saja is coming back to Athens to terminate his contract with AEK. I know AEK has been trying to offload him for sometime but I believe he was agreeable to a pay cut.

Big mistake if he leaves. He has been our best keeper in decades.

I would've liked Saja to stay also but, imho, our best gk in the past few years was a certain hen-pecked Italian who shall remain nameless. :rolleyes:

Hahaha... I would agree with you to a point... but once I look at how many games saja won or tied by himself - it is pretty unbelievable.

Apparently, the Hildebrand talks were...just talks. Everyone concerned is denying there ever was an interest.

With Saja gone, we will need a gk. There were rumours about Dimi Konstantopoulos but I have heard nothing since. Is Arabatzis ready to step in as no. 1 or should we keep looking?

Archived