Phantis Forums

Friendly: Ecuador- Greece(7 June 2011, Citi Field, New York)

Omonoia9

HALF TIME Ecuador 0-1 Greece.

There has been a good tempo to the game. We look very well organised at the back (they haven't created a single good chance) but they are having more of the ball and we're playing on the counter. With the exception of Mitroglou whose first touch has been poor everyone else has had a good game so far. Lazaro is showing a great willingness to run down the wing to buy as space and time. Maniatis has been solid, the midfield has more energy now that Karagounis and Katsouranis aren't in it and K.Papa and Moras have formed an impressive partnership. In my opinion Fotakis has is also showing that he should be given more of a chance. Overall i'm really impressed with that first half performance. Still need more late runs from midfield to support Mitroglou when we get the ball out wide but overall it's promising

Looks like this match will finish in a draw.

Not surprising given Ecuador's matches this year:

Honduras 1–1 Ecuador

Colombia 2–0 Ecuador

Peru 0–0 Ecuador

Argentina 2–2 Ecuador

Mexico 1–1 Ecuador

Canada 2–2 Ecuador

5 draws and 1 loss.

Lets hope for an Ethniki win...10 mins left.

hi gcp, sorry i didn't keep the updates coming, had problems with my modem and couldn't stay logged on.

FULL TIME: 1-1.

In the 2nd half we weren't as good defensively, Maniatis was caught out a few times at right back and their goal came from a cross from that position. Moras was beaten aerially at the back post and they scored (unacceptable really considering that he's 6"5, he just didn't jump). Going forward we lacked a fluidity and we became less "sharp" when Karagounis and Katsouranis came on. Christodoulopoulos' absense (he got subbed off) also had a negative impact on our play. Ninis also had a poor game when he came on. Overall it a satisfying performance but there was certainly room for improvement.

Back from the match. It took me 3 hours to get there from South Jersey, and 2 hours on return. Kotsolis was ok in goal, and I'd say the match was pretty even. Citi Field did not make the greatest venue for this, but it did fine, food was good, but the stadium's layout complicated things like parking and entering the stadium. The PA Announcer for the match was Mets PA Announcer Alex Anthony, who apparently is at least part-Greek, so our players names were pronounced correctly, which was nice. I can live with the result, but I wasn't happy to see that of the nearly 40,000 in attendance, about 3/4 of it were Ecuadorians. They don't separate the fans in America, so my section was especially yellow. All in all, a good outing, and a nice time. Our youngsters really give me hope for the future.

Furthermore, despite the correct pronunciations of our players names, all announcements were in English, and they only sang the US national anthem. And because Ecuador had the majority of the fans, all attempts at starting "Ellas!" chants, were quickly drowned out with "Ecuador! Ecuador!", and then "Si se puede!" which I guess is their slogan for the Copa America. I will say this, though, they were friendly, at least the ones I encountered.

Euro, thanks for the second update!

A win would have been better but now it should be fos fanari for Santos that the old guard must retire, ASAP. Glad that the youngsters are doing well but what's the deal with Ninis and Mitroglou? Fans have mada such a hubub about them around here but it doesn't appear they are delivering to their capabilities. Why?

i will post a long one, i had a good time at the match...

omonoia, i was in a section of all greeks so its possible that you just picked up "yellow" tickets...but you are right, many more ecuadorians than greeks at the game..there is a large ecuadorian population in queens, larger than the greek one but in saying this, all my astoria friends were at the match..so there were greeks there..its funny because there is a row of auto repair shops next to the stadium and they are all owned by ecuadorians...

i too found the layout of playing on a baseball pitch strange, but it makes sense why they wanted the game there...about the game.

tziolis was the best player on the pitch...he was calm, decisive, good with the ball, willing to distribute and strong in his tackling...it is evident he still needs to find his feet bc he was injured for a while..despite this, playing in spain has improved his game and brought out some of his better qualities..kafes was really non factors in the match..he ran and pressured but did very little to help our possession...fotakis was better getting some good touches, but he made the same attacking run over and over, worked a few times but then was read easily by their defense..he did better than kafes though...i would like to see fotakis playing with tziolis and a more creative partner just in front of them...

mitroglou was the worst player on the pitch...horrible touch, no work ethic, no willingness to receive the ball or distribute..every touch he had was a ball lost..didnt attack any header and was just awful...athanasiadis on the other hand ran hard, checked into the midfield, wanted the ball at his feet and wanted to get involved in the play...thats the attitude a young player should have..katsouranis was even lazy in his warm up..haha..seriously...

to be honest i did not mind kara as a sub, he just shouldnt be partnered with the lazy katsournis..he works hard and has good passion, he is just old..but he can handle 20/30 mins at the end of the match to help out..he played acouple nice parallel balls to nini..and despite all the negative comments, he looks a good influence of the young players...for instance, this is what i saw...i was right next to where the players were warming up, when kara, nini, fetz and athanasiadi started to warm up, kara had a 5 minute tet a tet with klaus, giving him some direction and also seeming to get his "pumped up"..once they entered, he kept communiciating with him....kara is just old, and thinks he can still do things that he cannot...alot of older players have this syndrome, he just needs to accept his situation..

the reason we looked better in possession in the first half was bc lazaro and kone were playing inside and not on the line..they helped fotakis and kafes out by sinking in and trying to possess..this also left mitroglou with little service but he didnt work hard enough to receive the ball...santos switched things up a bit after the subs, drawing nini and fetz wider, giving athanasiadis more space to receive the ball with his back towards goal...at that point the ecaudorians picked up there game and we got caught...

in the second half, ninis should have drawn closer to the middle, fetz should have staying on the touchline on the left and maniatis should have ran further up on the right into the space ninis would create but coming slightly more inside..this will give us the chance to let fetz take his marker on without sacrificing possession in the middle..

vyntra was pretty solid, papadopoulos was great and maniatis did well in the first half...he dropped off in the second..kotsolis also did well and could really do nothing about the goal...moras once again for me is a big dissapointment...i just dont think he is good enough..especially for his size..he is not commanding, weak with the ball at his feet and not a great tackler...ive said it before, he just looks mediocre...fetz did well defesively but could not get going in attack even though he had a great freekick that went just wide...ninis got himself into good positions but could not execute..he had one of two nice runs and chances, but missed a huge one at the end of the game...one thing the kid needs to work on is his balance..maybe he is still growing and needs to be able to find an equilibrium, but his balance seems slightly off...lazaro did well and should be playing more and more ad kone was alright...i think he could possibly be more useful in the midfield...he doesnt appear quick enough for the wing...

ill stop there...i had a great time at the match and enjoyed watching our team play...

There were other ellines in our section besides us, but it was mostly Ecuadorians. Again, I'd say they had about 75%. Plenty of ellines, but they were the clear majority. Ninis is gonna be good, you can tell, but he made some stupid decisions. I liked Kone's game a lot. Again, a win would've been nice, but if the ethniki ever come to anywhere I can drive to within a day, I am there. Supporting them in person is a whole new level. My brother's girlfriend(Greek Orthodox, but not Greek) took a picture that sums up the crowd pretty good.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pho...&type=1&theater

The Greek players were very passive. Brief spurts at a time.

They had entertained themselves the previous night at Penthouse Executive Club. A pure festival at it's finest. :LOL: :gr: Hoochi mamas rule !!

Greeks always do this when they come to North America.

Genome , I don't know what you were watching, But Equador carried the game and they were the more dangerous team on the field. I hate attacking Greeks, but your analysis was way off. We played typical greek soccer while vacationing. This is also done at the club level as well. :nw: :gr:

I disagree with both of you. The play was very even. Either team could have taken this. Ecuador dominated the opening 15 minutes, which is why our goal came as a surprise. Then we took over next half hour. Ecuador opened the 2nd half strong and finally scored, but the final 30 minutes were even, and both teams created good scoring chances. In the stands, we got killed.

know this is really random and perhaps inappropriate on a sports forum but everyone here chats about all sorts of things so we're all kinda like internet friends. So I wondering is any member of phantis is a doctor? In particular i'd like to ask some discreet advice from a neurologist. I know it's a long shot but would greatly appreciate your time. Thanks for your time everyone

Genome , I don't know what you were watching, But Equador carried the game and they were the more dangerous team on the field. I hate attacking Greeks, but your analysis was way off. We played typical greek soccer while vacationing. This is also done at the club level as well. :nw: :gr:

:LOL: I wasn't watching anything (fell asleep while waiting for it to start, 4am Belgian time), I didn't see the game and said that as a comment to the highlights I posted.

@Euro, sorry mate, not a doctor. Hope everythings ok though!

I was gonna bring a camera, but didn't. I posted a pic that my brother's girlfriend took showing how yellow the stands were, and I agree, this game came with little fanfare.

Archived