Phantis Forums

Friendly: Ecuador- Greece(7 June 2011, Citi Field, New York)

Omonoia9

The ethniki is coming to America as an opponent for Ecuador as they prepare for the Copa America(South America's Euro basically). The match will be at Citi Field in New York. I'm probably going!

• 3 weeks later...

so has athanasiadis and kotsoli...

kotsolis call is not as much a call for the future but out of anagki...i hope klaus and papadopoulo do well bc they can both be good assets in the future..i like how athanasiadis had a solid season with paok, he is 22 and can still progress and improve his game..we are in need of a good striker, lets see if he can help and be a part of our future...hes got good attributes, he needs to maintain his work ethic and get some good guidance and i think he can be a fixture in the team, even if it is from the bench...

fetz, ninis, mitroglou, kyriakos, athanasiadi..factor in some younger guys like hopefully mavrias, lagos, poutouridis....if all these players improve, our ethniki might shpe up into something nice...

So who are the keepers that have gone? Surely Kotsolis won't start? That's an appalling call up. Chiotis is at least 5 time better than him as is Eleftheropoulos and Konstantopoulos. Santos is starting to annoy me to be honest. He's turning into another Otto, but without the tactical intelligence.

Apparently a Greek-American that plays for FC Dallas (George John - holding midfield or centreback) is going to train with the team in New York. That's quite nice for him. Hopefully he impresses enough to be a useful addition permanently! :tup:

Are there any Americans here that know more about George John? From the little i've seen he looks really good, is he? He's kinda like a faster version of Kyrgiakos but not quite as aerially dominant. Does he have a future with the NT and is it a real possibility?

If he is good enough and become eligible and Holembas becomes eligible too we'd be talking about two great additions

i dont know him well. generally the mls is pretty physical, but the pace in europe is quicker and the game generally more demanding...i need to see him more to judge BUT i am in nyc for the next two weeks and a friend of mine has tickets...i have a meeting that night, but i think i am going to reschedule :D

i hope i can be there..

Professional

John was drafted in the first round (14th overall) by FC Dallas in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft. He made his professional debut on 4 April 2009, in Dallas's game against New England Revolution.[1]

In overtime of the 2010 MLS Cup against the Colorado Rapids, a ball deflected off of John into the net for an own goal. This goal ended up giving the Rapids the championship over FC Dallas.[2]

pao123 that's so cool, hope you enjoy it mate. Carry out a little scouting mission for us and let us know if he's good. I like the MLS to be honest and watch quite a bit of it. I think it's quite underrated but while I've seen John 3-4 times its hard to judge him. The tempo can be low in the MLS but at the same time most players are great athletes. You don't get many players that are like Dabizas and still effective. I've seen John in a straight sprint with Robbie Findley and he got the better of him with his long strides, no mean feat! He also had a great game against Inter in a friendly. He did have that major clanger as PAO-1908 mentions though and i haven't seen enough of him to know which the real "john" is.

apparently he is going to get Greek papers with the name Giorgios Ioannou on them... maybe he is preparing for a move to greece :whistle:

I'd love that :D Although i think it would have been great if he kept the anglicized version of his name just so i could hear the Greek commentators saying "Tsorts Tson" :tup:

I'd love that :D Although i think it would have been great if he kept the anglicized version of his name just so i could hear the Greek commentators saying "Tsorts Tson" :tup:

I'd rather hear the English ones go: "Giorgioes Johannou"

I'm gonna be there in section 521 with my brother, his girlfriend and my 2 cousins. PAME ELLADA! PAME ETHNIKI!

:gr: :gr:

That's great, i hope you have a great time.

Bad news guys, George John got injured and won't play :(

From what I heard he wasn't going to play anyway today, just attend the training and meet his fellow players.

What channel is the game on?

Ok, so predictions guys? I think this is going to be a good test which could highlight our weaknesses. They are very athletic and if they take it seriously and we approach the game in a typically relaxed manner with no pressing in midfield we'll get steam rollered. They have dipped in the last few years though, but nonetheless it will be a stiff physical test. I'm not sure if they've called up their best squad but if they have these are some of the players to look out for:

Man Utd's Antonio Valencia is strong, direct, fit and has a good delivery.

Christian Benitez of Santos Laguna is a lively forward, plenty pace and very direct in his running. He'll definitely cause the big defenders like Moras problems.

Christian Noboa plays for Rubin Kazan he is decent too, haven't seen that much of him but when i have he's been decent. He's got 4 goals in 9 games this season for Rubin so is in good form.

Edison Mendez is a good player too, used to play for PSV now at Emelec.

They're certainly not as good as they were in 2006 when they reached the last 16 of the CL but they will still provide a stern test. If we don't take the game seriously, which i doubt we will, I can see a 2-0 win for them.

Archived