Phantis Forums

Promotions to Superleague

Irlandos

I like the fact that a team that hasn't been in the top flight for a couple of decades will make it up. Nice story. Should bring a real buzzing atmosphere around the club. As for those in the play-off positions it would be nice to have a representitve from a region that isn't already represented in the superleague, like Trikala or Diagoras (Rhodes).

Diagoras is not a good choice unless both Rodos teams join forces (maybe they have and I'm a bit behind).

PAS, Panaitolikos are good choices for the top league.

OFI and Ergotelis need to combine their resources and make a top team as well.

It will be nice to see Patra there as well

• 3 weeks later...

Now someone remind me: do the top two go straight into the Superleague? How is the 3rd spot awarded? Is it through playoffs among the next four teams (as in England)?

I'm pretty sure it's a play off but i dont know what the format is like, i.e. whether there's a points handicap like in the superleague, whether it's a continuation of the current points difference like in cyprus or whether it's a cup format like in the English football league

it is DEFINITLY a play off...i remember last year ofi ended the season 10 points above ethnikos and panserraiko, started the playoff with 3 points while the other two started with 1...i dont remember the last team...maybe pierikos? anyway, we all know how that ended as serres made it up.

if there is going to be this playoff, and teams are designated points based on how they finished the season, there should be a better reflection of this...for ofi to be 10 points above them and start with only a +2 is very unfair...

Mathematically, OFI can still qualify directly if they make up those 4 points that separate them from Panaitolikos.

Personally, I hate playoffs but if they have to have them, why not let teams 3 and 4 of the Football League (B' Ethniki) play against teams 13 and 14 of the Superleague (A' Ethniki)?

It's not right for Diagoras with a mere +5 goals to still have hopes for the Superleague.

i agree irlandos...for promotion purposes, i dont mind the playoff, i just mind the structure that we have set to it. we saw it this year with panserraikos, who was not not nearly good or competitive enough for the superleague. if it were ofi who got promoted, i believe they would have remained in the a' ethniki this year...i dont like how a string of games at the end of the season defines a teams whole season, it is contrary to the idea of having a league. i would like to see a different system in the future...

you have a point...diagora are not a superleague level team nor will they be with some good additions to the team..either the point distribution has to change, or as you said, the match-ups. i have been following the b ethniki closely this year and the only teams that seems worthy of promotion are pas, panaitolikos and ofi...they are the only clubs that seem to have what it takes to compete, and that is really reflected in the league table. dont get me wrong, levadiakos, trikala and diagoras have solid teams, but are not ready to make the step, if one of those teams somehow make it up, i see them going right back down next year.

I agree, the 3 top teams should go up. It's becoming evident that the country can't support all those teams, so maybe consolidation will make teams more competitive.

After Iraklis were relegated, the Superleague requested that Asteras Tripoli remain in the top division. EPO refused the request which means that FOUR Football League (B' Ethniki) teams will be promoted!

PAS Giannina and Panaitolikos are already through. The other two teams will be decided in the playoffs.

However, OFI, Doxa Drama and Diagoras have been deemed non-promotable - pending appeal - as they owe their players back wages. Should all appeals fail, Levadiakos and AE Trikala will be promoted with no need for playoffs.

Does that clarify the situation? :wacko:

That sounds marvelous! :whistle: :unsure:

Why "non-promotable"??

Whatever the reasons for all this mess are, it indicates a troubled league and a sport that's struggling to survive.

The picture has gotten even more complicated as Asteras Tripolis are claiming that Iraklis' January transfers were illegal and Ira should forfeit all their post-January games.

Should Asteras' appeal be upheld, Asteras will remain in the Superleague and only 3 teams will be promoted.

I'd rather see Asteras go down and 4 teams promoted.

I think the top 4 represent good localities from around the country. (not that Tripoli isn't good, don't get me wrong). I'm just saying that I'd prefer 4 teams being elevated but I have no knowledge of the rules.

I just heard that Ira falsified papers in Jan. Wow!

Archived