Phantis Forums

Ellas TV

I recently received an email from "Ellas TV sales" advertising a new IPTV service. (not sure how they got my email though)

Anyway, here is what they are claiming in the email:

Welcome To Ellas TV

Ellas TV was created to offer professional Greek TV hosting services allowing Greek expats, travelers or simply Greek TV fans live access to their favorite television programming while traveling or living abroad.

Ellas TV understands the frustrations of living abroad with virtually no access to your favorite TV shows. Our goal is to keep you connected to your TV receiver, no matter where you are!

• Subcription - The ELLAS TV package includes 20+ Greek TV Stations (Live from Greece & Eastern Standard Time), a variety of Greek Radio Stations and 100+ Video On Demand Greek Titles and much more... all for a low introductory monthly price of $49.99.
  • HD Box - Ellas TV HD BOX supports High-Definition video up to 1080p resolution which offers a more exciting viewing experience, especially on large format TVs. Additionally, Ellas TV HD BOX features a myriad of popular information and communication services, including Web browsing, calendar, news, calculator, weather information and more. $220 per box
  • Availablity - Ellas TV is available now. The boxes are available for ordering, please allow 3 -5 weeks, on receiving your box. The boxes come directly from Greece. To order simply call 877. ELLAS TV

Anyone have any info on them? I am going to go out on a limb here and say it is not the most legit service? They do seem to have US "contacts" and "showrooms" though. Notice how they misspelled "Subscription" and "Availability" above though..... And I see this disclaimer on their website: "Ellas TV does not own your device nor does it own your TV subscription service, we are strictly offering: support, monitoring, hosting, bandwidth and most of all a great and reliable connection that will make you feel as if you're sitting in front of your TV in Greece."

Here is their website: http://www.ellastv.com

Edited by Grk101

Ellas TV does not own your device nor does it own your TV subscription service, we are strictly offering: support, monitoring, hosting, bandwidth and most of all a great and reliable connection that will make you feel as if you're sitting in front of your TV in Greece.

This says to me we are not offering you the channels only the means to get the channels, so that says to me the channels have no idea about this... IMO

Edited by Kolossos

• 2 months later...

no worries .....

Ellas TV is born ....

Ellas TV broadcasts Mega Cosmos, Alter Globe, ERT World, Rik Sat, Star, & GMTV. Also additional Greek channels from Greece. Visit our website @ ellastv.gr for further information ..... and please spread the word out Mega Cosmos & Alter Globe are just making changes to a more reliable platform & economical choices for the customer.

Thank You for your support

Ellas TV Marketing Team

Call us 24/7

877 ELLAS TV

Based on the channel lineup listed by ellastv, it appears that this company may be connected to Greek Media Group- a subsidiary perhaps?! If true, then it would appear that this Dumas person has merely moved over to head up the new sister company.

Anyone looked into this Ellas TV service? They apparently also carry some channels from Greece, which makes me believe it may be operating in some sort of grey area as those channels are domestic and most likely would not be available outside of Greece. Only two packages listed on their site at the present time and both are a bit on the pricey side IMO- MEGA Cosmos/Alter Globe for 30 bucks?!

EDIT: The website has now been updated and they now offer several packages. The package I referred to above has been changed and now includes ERT World, MEGA Channel, Alter Channel, ET-1 & ET-3. That is a better deal for $30. but I still don't see how they can offer the channels from Greece OR why someone would want these channels seeing as how there is 7hr time difference between North America & Greece.

Edited by HellasHab

Something is definitely up with them. They are offering channels straight from Greece as well as the Nova sports and cinema channels. For sure Nova does not have international rights. Also $220 is very steep for a receiver and no guarantee of their service.

DK SAT no dreams here, this is real business, and the reason why Ellas TV signed up on this forum is to protect the interest of Greek Broadcasting for the facts, and not the assumptions, This relates to Grk101 as far as NOVA, there is no where on our site for NOVA, do not assume, & we do guarantee our services ......

Thank You

Instead of putting down Greek channels, you should be happy, there is a new content provider taking charge the way you watch Greek TV. Do not assume, get your facts straight .....

We have employeed people here at Ellas TV look over Greek forums with false information about Greek broadcasting .....

Keep the comments coming .....

Thank You

Ellas TV Customer Relations

www.ellastv.gr

The Nova channels (even the HD sports channel) used to be on your site when you had a public view of the channel listings and your top package now mentions "cinema and sports 1, sports 2" and so on. If you do not carry them, sorry.

A lot of the live channels straight from Greece are bound to have rights issues though. Those are the facts. They do not have international broadcasting rights for all of their programing, especially the foreign programing. That is why Skai for example blacks out their online webstream during shows they do not have international broadcast rights for. It is also the reason why the international sports rights go up for bidding separately. This is not even a Greece only case, it is the case worldwide. It is why the American broadcasters block out online episodes for those in other countries or why Vevo is blocked outside of the US and Canada for example. Also if your service is what you say it is, why is there no longer a public view of your complete line up anymore and other such details? It seems you are trying to hide something. Sorry just stating what I see, maybe you can improve this.

Good luck in your venture though, I hope your service is what you claim it to be and wish you success as well. I may even try it in the future if there is every a clear endorsement. :gr:

Edited by Grk101

IPTV 2 channels for $30.00and $200 for the IP receiver they are dreaming

I would have to agree, the start up costs seem to be very high here. Their package prices are too high as well, especially for IPTV which is still a relatively new technology that is unknown to most regular folk. Channel info is lacking, I would like to see a complete list of available channels posted on the site- why is it not there?!

I am still not convinced of the legitimacy of this company, they have a Greek URL (.gr) and according to info on their site appeared to be based in Greece?! If it is supposed to serve the US and Canada then it should have an office in North America.

Also, I state once again what is the point of offering channels from Greece when there is a 7hr time difference AND as Grk101 mentioned some programming will be blacked out due to rights issues?! This is where things get fishy to me, if this service was legit then they would not be allowed to offer ET1, ET3, Alter, ANT1, MEGA & Skai. All of these channels (except for Skai) have launched an international channel that is intended for the diaspora because their domestic channels are intended for the residents of Greece ONLY.

I sincerely hope it is a legit service, its always good having another alternative to cable & satellite but I remain skeptical for the time being.

Yes we have many sites.

www.ellastv.tv

www.ellastv.ca

www.ellastv.gr

We have offices in Athens, New York, Chicago, & Toronto ....

As for the channels from Greece, we are an IPTV company broadcasting from Greece rights differ in this state of the art technology .....

If you have heard of Connex & on Telecom from Greece, you would understand what IPTV is, and how it works ....

Thank You and no hard feelings grk101, we are just protecting the Greek broadcasters & the false information .... As for home2u, I wouldnt know ....

As far as satellites, that was the past IPTV is the future, picture is more clear...

And were trying to avoid the greek man & greek lady outside of there house with a skoopa trying to take off the snow for signal, or trees growing, or even heavy winds, & bad weather .... IPTV does not get affected from these problems satellites have .....

We are here to make sure "you the customer is happy "

Thank You for your support

Ellas TV Customer Relations

Edited by ellastv

Thanks for the info, however I see you avoided answering my question about exactly what channels you offer?!

IPTV does not get affected from these problems satellites have .....

True, but IPTV IS affected by bandwidth caps that are being implemented left and right by ISP's in Canada and the US- how do you propose to deal with that?! If you watch these channels for many hours each day, every day then you will end up using a lot of bandwidth and exceeding the stupid cap that the ISP's are putting on each package they offer- quite an expensive venture from what I can see. Is there any way to get around this?!

To answer your question ..... The bandwith is our problem we have setup 4 colocation data centers in The U.S. , 1 in Athens, & 1 in Cyprus, we are not going down with 1 GB of Bursted Traffic in The U.S. as for Canada we have are preparing our data center in Toronto, But Canada has different bandwith then U.S.

Satellite companies use 30 mbs for data transfer, Our company uses 1 GB of data transfer .... you do the math & calculate the bandwith

With this setup we can service up to 5,000 subscribers in The U.S. with no problems on bandwith ...

We will not add more then 5,000 subscribers on the same network.

We will build a new one ....

We want all Greek customers to be happy.

Our goal is to satisfy the Greek customer

What that means is as long as you have 1.5 Mbs coming out of your internet provider, you have no problem with our system.

To make you understand this technology, we have our own dedicated fiber lines running all over the U.S. to the major areas.

New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, & Florida .....

We are in the same facility as Turner.....

Hopefully that answers your bandwith issue ....

Thank You

Ellas TV Technical Support

www.ellastv.gr

Edited by ellastv

I don't think he was referring to the company's bandwidth, but the consumers bandwidth. Almost all ISPs today put a cap on the monthly bandwidth allowance for your account, with hefty fees or even termination of your service if you exceed it. It would be interesting to know home much average bandwidth the service uses in hour for example. I know my parents love to keep their box running for most of the day with the TV on in the background, I can't even begin to imagine how much bandwidth that would use.

Regarding broadcasting rights, they work exactly the same over the net and over IPTV as they do in the traditional manner. In fact when FIFA sold rights for the 2010 world cup matches to pay TV providers, it included IPTV providers as well in that category. Try broadcasting the Olympics over your service to people outside of Greece for example on one of the channels, and see how fast the IOC will shut it down. Rights vary by region.

I undersatnd what you are saying for the rights, Our broadcasters tell us what is possible, and what is not ... but alot of things will be changing very soon ....

As for the bandwith, we average people watching TV 4 hours straight. We have capped our services, with a warning message, press here to continue watching, if its not pressed, it is considered as off, you are not using your bandwith, thats to protect the customer not losing there internet service provider, and protects us for useless usage ....

Thank You

Ellas TV Technical Support

www.ellastv.gr

Thanks for the info. So none of the consumer's bandwidth is used? Interesting I wonder how. I mean I am using my bandwidth right now just surfing the web. Would also be interesting to see a full channel line up, and I am a bit worried that information seems to keep changing on your site lately like prices and packages and you mention some upcoming changes as well.

Like others have mentioned, who wants a 7 hour time difference to deal with? Then there is the problem of households with more than 1 tv so you need a receiver for each tv. You need to offer the receiver for a monthly rental fee $5 and lower the package to $20. So you're talking $25 a month total. If you expect $30 month and $200 receiver in this economy, you're dreaming.

You need to offer the receiver for a monthly rental fee $5 and lower the package to $20. So you're talking $25 a month total.

NEXTV here in Canada (which I know for a fact is a legitimate company) offers customers the option of renting a receiver or purchasing it. These guys do not offer that option which makes me question the legitimacy of this whole operation. Cable and Telco providers (not sure about satellite) also offer a rental option to their customers.

I don't think he was referring to the company's bandwidth, but the consumers bandwidth.

That is correct, I am talking about bandwidth on my end. As an example, the package I currently subscribe to has a bandwidth cap of 200Gb/month. Having been a subscriber to an IPTV service in the past, I can say with certainty that these services use up a lot of juice. My monthly usage when I had IPTV was around 100Gb and that was with me clamping down on viewing, meaning the box was not on continuously nor was I watching the channels continuously. If you were to watch for many hours each day (which is the case with the older generation who are home all day), you would endure an untold expense coming from penalties for exceeding your usage limit. IPTV is not feasible IMO unless you are on an unlimited plan or you are wealthy and can afford the high cost.

I actually tried Nextv a few years ago and it was a terrible experience. At first, it worked good and got all the channels as promised and within a few weeks, half the channels were missing. I emailed and called customer support and not only did they not know anything, they didn't care. I'm not sure if Nextv is even legit anyway. All they were doing was rebroadcasting directv greek channels on the iptv. I'm willing to bet if nextv is still in business, they will be out of greek channels when directv kicks them off the air.

The more I read about ellas tv, the more I think they aren't legit. Just rebroadcasting Greek channels with some kind of slingbox contraption. How can a service with no subscribers have offices in all these major cities? I would like to see physical addresses. Not even Comcast has those kind of offices :LOL:

Guys I got the iptv Ellas Tv installed for about 10 days already and I am ready to provide my feedback. First the cost was 220 plus 14 for shipping an HD box. The box comes with all cables including Network cable, HDMI and RCA cables also includes different jacks for europe and other locations that uses different outlet system. For some reason their site advertize the satellite channels such as Mega cosmos, Alter Globe and ERT world. The included channels from greece are Kanali Voulis, ET1, NET, ET3, Mega, Ant, Star, Alter, Alpha, Macedonia TV, Skai,, MAD, History Channel, Cartoon Network, Disney XD, Boomerang, Novasport1, Novasport2, Nova cinema, Novasport3, MEga Cosmos, Alter globe. There are some channels that are being added soon Ellas Cinema, Ellas Kids premium, Ellas sport HD, whih I think is the nova HD channel, RIk Sat, Tv peloponissos, ERT world. Additional has all the greek radio channel that you can listen through your Tv. Under the Video on Demand has so far 3 pages of greek movies and kids shows like Shrek or Planet 51 translated in greek included with the service. In the last week more movies are being added. The quality is very good. You have the option of adding an external hard drive to use as a dvr and is free as well. So far the HD channel is not available since there are not HD in greece yet. Other than the nova sports channel. The price for the family pack is 49.99 per month but for the first 3 months i get the premium package for the same price. You have the option to change the display resolution from 480 to 720 or 1080 but since it is not HD yet it creates the black bars on the side if you using 1080, under 480 it coves the whole screen. Also the system is available through wireless if your router is far from the tv which is nice. I was told if you need more tv to hook up there is discount in the price. I already closed the dish network I had for many years and am not missing it at all. The only thing is missing is a guide that I hope they will added soon. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by ttentelh